• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It was just one of those moments...

sonuvabum

Boobies...'cause I likes 'em
I have been involved with Boy Scouts for a long time. I'm not as active as I used to be, but still make a few events each year. For several years now, I have been involved with the climbing program in North Texas. I was a Council instructor and helped teach Scout leaders about the BSA climbing program and we conduct training classes twice yearly. A couple of years ago, I gave up working the class in favor of cooking for the class. The class is carried out over a long weekend and usually has between 40 and 70 participants and they get real hungry.

I have enjoyed doing this as much as anything I have ever done in Scouts. It's no easy task being the chow boss for that many people for 2 solid days, using only outdoor cooking skills, campfires, and dutch ovens, and all the while doing it rain or shine. The grocery store ain't next door so whatever you show up with is what you have to make it work, period. One more thing, we ain't talking burgers and dogs here. We're talking big meals, roast, chops, Tex Mex, big bacon & egg breakfasts, dutch oven biscuits, cornbread, soups, chili's, chowders, etc. The class is as well known for the high level of instruction as well as for the quality of food served. Over the years, we have set the bar pretty high.

Well, I tell you all that to tell you this...
This past weekend was our spring training weekend...and it rained. It rained a lot. Did I mention that it rained? :laugh: Reports in the area varied between 4.5 to 6.1 inches...in 48 hours. Jeez! What a challenge!! We were working in ankle deep mud most of the weekend and soaked to the bone. Rain gear is only good for so long. Looking back, I think there must have only been but a few hours when there was actually no rain falling. To say it was less than stellar conditions would be a huge understatement. We had made it to Saturday afternoon and it was time to grill pork chops. I had about 80 chops to cook and had planned to do them over charcoal on grills that stick down in the ground. One problem, charcoal and wet mud do not co-exist well. I had a very small shepherd stove at my disposal, but it would take forever if I used it. I scouted down a small piece of dry dirt abut two hundred feet away that was somewhat protected by the remnants of an old climbing wall. It was my only chance. The work area was very cramped and the ventilation sucked. The fumes and the smoke almost did me in a couple of times. Two of my sons were out there to help and along with the rest of the cooking crew, we managed to get it done. Dinner was a success. We lived to play another day.

Later in the night, after dishes were clean, and gear stowed, I made it back to my tent. There was nothing on me that wasn't wet. I had a dry set of everything and changed it all. The rain had finally quit for a while so I thought I would tip toe down to where I had cooked the chops and hopefully take advantage of some lingering heat before I went to bed.

Much to my delight, my sons had already gone down there and gathered up the coals, and had the makings of a nice little fire going. It was hot enough to dry out and burn the wet wood and the old wall was just cozy enough for us to have a nice moment. It was the first time I had been warm and dry all day.

Saturday night is traditionally the best time for the cooks as we usually have cigars and plenty of time to shoot the bull at the end of the day. This night though, it was just me and my two sons. Everyone else turned in early because it had just been such a rough day. Even my younger son left pretty quick. He was obviously very tired.

I had brought a nice selection of smokes and chose a BGM for the evening. It was my last one and I couldn't think of a better time for it. My older son does not smoke but enjoys being around when I do. I guess it's a little bit like non-coffee drinkers enjoying the smell of coffee brewing. Anyway, for the next hour and a half, I had a fantastic time talking with my son, sitting by a cozy campfire, smoking a fantastic cigar, and not caring one bit about the grueling day I had just completed. I was warm, dry, and feeling particularly proud about getting the job done that day. The conversation was light but personal. I don't even remember everything we talked about but it was meaningful and heartfelt. An extraordinary time indeed.

As good as the cigar was, and as great as the conversation was, the circumstances that fed into that moment are what made that time special and absolutely unforgettable. We don't get many opportunities like that.

Gary

VERY heartwarming story Gary, nothing like family bonding time to keep us sane when life turns rough on us.
thumbs-up.gif

I imagine your perseverance was greatly appreciated by all. Nice job, brother. It sounds like you got a great reward from it.

Reading that certainly does make me miss Scouts. Sounds like a great experience for both you and your boy. It's really nice to see that people still participate in Scouts, as I honestly believe it had a huge impact on who I am today, right along with ROTC.

Great story! The best things in life, are indeed, free.

It's really nice to see that people still participate in Scouts, as I honestly believe it had a huge impact on who I am today, right along with ROTC.

In that case, I need to file TWO complaints today... :laugh:

Great story, and a great moment with your son to cherish a remember.

Thanks for that little glimpse into your life Gary. Can't wait to head out into the woods with my boy this fall during hunting season.

I was all set to start posting 'laughing faces' because I figured the punch line was you set fire to yourself or something else, but this was a pleasent surprise.

The little things in life make it special. In the midst of a very uncomfortable day, you managed to find a memorable moment. Very happy to hear you were able to have one of those special moments with your son, Gary. :thumbs:

Nice story! Makes me want to go camping again! I don't have any children of my own, but I hope I get to share an experience like that with my nephew and whoever may come into my life in the future.

Nice story moments like that last for ever :thumbs: :cool:

Great story, Gary. I look forward to being able to share times like that with my son.

GREAT story. You just can't plan those times. They always catch us by surprise.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Camping is always one of our favorite things to do as a family. We're going the next two weekends. Primitive in the tents this weekend, but RV'ing next weekend. :p