• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perfect Standing Prime Rib Roast

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
What you need to know to be a gastronomic hero.

A full rib roast is seven ribs starting from the shoulder (big end) down the back to the loin (little end). While called a prime rib roast you usually aren't getting prime quality meat but if you have a local butcher you should pay the extra to get real prime graded beef. Also, you want to get the loin end if possible. Each rib will usually feed two people so they say but it never works that way in my house.

Now that procurement is finished what to do with this $50-100 hunk of beef. First you want to dry age it for 3 or 4 days in the fridge. (You'll lose about 10% of the weight)
Place your beef on a wire rack over a plate uncovered in the fridge. You don't want to have it sitting directly on the plate. After 3 or 4 days your meat is ready.

Take it out of the fridge and trim off any dried out pieces.
Next you'll want to sear all that you can, obviously the ribs won't get done due to their curve.
Turn on oven and preheat to 200 degrees, (yes two hundred.)
Rub some vegetable oil over the beef and place in a hot skillet for a few seconds on all sides.
Once that is done generously coat the outside with kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Place your roast bones down on a cooking rack and cook until the internal temperature is 135 for medium rare (45 min/lb) or 140 (145 MAX)for a bit more medium. If you insist on well done then your should be eating something else. I like 135 but you'll find most guests will appreciate 140.
Serve with my Garlic Blue Cheese sauce and enjoy the accolades.

I promise this will be the best home cooked prime rib you have ever had and probably the best ever.

sounds delicious ! Thanks for the invite. . . . so, where do we all go to ?? hahaha

now I'm hungry

WOW... I want one...

This is the first time I've seen a recipe for dry aging that didn't require special equipment(a dedicated frig). Very nice.

Nice call. I might have to try one soon, maybe for the wife's 30th b-day.

Low & slow, huh? I'm in.

When I sear in my big 'Everything' pan, after I massage it with olive oil (I'm Italian for God's Sake!)...I put Montreal seasoning in a shallow platter mixed with a touch of flour...then put the two ends in there and cover the rest of the roast by hand. Makes for a well insulated sear and tastes great who ever gets the ends!

Low and slow? Nice....what a way to kick off opening weekend of the NFL on Sunday!

Calling my butcher NOW!

I cook a standing rib roast about twice a year. Usually Christmas and Easter.i use Kosher salt and dried tarragon. I put in the oven at 500 or the hottest I can get for 15 min then drop it to 200 without opening. I take mine out about 130.
I like my beef so rare that a good vet can repair it and teach it to walk again. :laugh:
Thanks Ray you made me hungry!