• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

12 CIGAR LEGENDS Truth or Myth?

5) CUBAN CIGARS ARE ROLLED BETWEEN THE THIGHS OF VIRGINS

South African cigar expert Theo Rudman addresses this hoary old legend in his on-line magazine. “It is a lovely idea,” he writes, “but alas is a legend that has persisted since the mid-forties, when a visiting journalist saw tobacco leaves being sorted and graded by women who placed the respective piles on their laps.” The visitor apparently took some imaginative journalistic license when he later wrote that Havanas were rolled on the thighs of virgins. Certainly, this story hasn’t hurt the mystique-laden marketing of Habanos.

---

And the bubble bursts... :(

I swear that bad cigars are rolled by 80 year old grandmas who have retired from the world's oldest profession. :D :sign: Great article, the white ash thing was interesting as well.

I actually bought this crappy mag ugh, What stuck out in my mind was #7 about the pre-embargo tabacco. Any thoughts/truth because i see the pre-embargo gurkhas at my local shop all the time.

s0ber said:
I actually bought this crappy mag ugh, What stuck out in my mind was #7 about the pre-embargo tabacco. Any thoughts/truth because i see the pre-embargo gurkhas at my local shop all the time.
I thought it sounds right to me, but I must admitt, I've always thought the "pre-embargo" stuff is total BS. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good article.

Nic

I thought is was generally a stupid article that regurgitates useless information, urban legends, etc., that most of us have heard many times before.

There was nothing really of any value in that article that anyone who's been around cigars doesn't already know.

Thanks for posting this :thumbs: It confirmed my suspicion that "Smoke" magazine is not worth wasting money on ;)

One would think that the industry itself would call out anyone useing pre-embargo tobacco. Why give them a boost for lying? Since there isn't a word from them or the FTC for that matter you sorta have to take the claims at face value. I want to believe I read that Gurkha has the provenance for the tobacco they are using in the 1940's line.