• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Triple Cap?

Mojo

I've read in a few places that Cubans are distinctive in that they have a triple cap. Curious, what's the purpose? And, do all Cubans have the triple cap or just some?

Mojo

It's just good quality construction. There are some NCs that have triple caps as well, but only the most premium. I /think/ all handmade cuban cigars have a triple cap but I wouldn't swear to it. It is considered one of the distinctive signatures of cuban construction.

Oh, and the reason for the cap is to stop the tobacco from falling out! :p

It keeps the tobacco from falling out... Too funny! Other1, always good for a laugh.

:thumbs:

Mojo

I think the Montecristo Tubo (NC) has a triple cap IIRC...

other1 said:
[snapback]139643[/snapback]​

What keeps it from falling out from the other end?

Maggs44 said:
other1 said:

[snapback]151013[/snapback]​

Suction ;)

coventrycat86 said:
Maggs44 said:
other1 said:

[snapback]151013[/snapback]​

Suction ;)
[snapback]151015[/snapback]​

anim_lol.gif
laughing.gif
abovelol.gif

It's my understanding that it was first done simply because it's an easy way to get the tobacco to fit properly and smoothly over the curved top of the cigar, though it is more time consuming than forcing the tobacco to wrap around the top of the cigar.

It's characteristic of most Cuban cigars, but it's also done on many non-cuban cigars. For fake Cubans, the rollers often don't bother (or don't know how) to make the triple cap.

This is just the Cuban style of applying wrapper and it is called "Cuban Method" Actually, this is only visual and a misnomer because cigars made in this method actually only have ONE cap (goro) The illusion of 3 caps is caused by adding a "vuelta" or flag on the base wrapper. When the vuelta is applied to the wrapper, it adds an additional 2 visible layers. When the goro (cap) is finally applied at the end of the process, it visually looks like 3 caps. :whistling:

Most other cigar producing countries don't apply the cuban vuelta, therefore the cigars only have one visible cap. ;)