• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 "A" Size

kevpriest

Clueless Noob
Tonight, after work, was a little rough. My girls were both acting up, my wife got mad at me over a discussion we had, and I was just kind of "done". Once the girls started acting a little better (thanks to my wife's intervention, nothing I did) and once my wife got past being mad at me, it was time for a cigar. In fact, it was time for a big cigar, something that would take awhile.

I keep the Rocky Patel Vintage line around as my daily, go to smoke. It's absolutely one of my favorites. A lot of people will disagree with me, but I think of it as a poor man's Padrón Anniversary Maduro. Actually, if you buy them retail, they're not much cheaper than the Padrón, so you'd really be better of just getting the real thing. But I get them as "seconds" from CBid, usually for around $2 a stick, and to me, that's a fantastic deal.

Anyway, tonight I pulled out a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage "A" size. It's 7.5"x54.

normal_Rocky%20Patel%201990%20Vintage%20A%2012-28-05.JPG

This thing is HUGE.

I expected it to be much like the regular Vintage 90's that I regularly have, but longer. I was pleasantly surprised, however.

The cigar started off very smooth. The smoke was prodigious, and while I wouldn't call it creamy, as it was a little too smooth for that, it was definitely pleasant. An attenuated version of the usual Vintage 1990 flavor.

That lasted about 2 inches, or about 10 minutes (for me, I'm a fast smoker). Then it started getting very pleasantly spicy. Very much like a PAM, even more so than the RPs usually do. The spicyness continued for most of the middle third of the cigar, and the smoke production picked up even more, and now I would describe it as creamy! Really very nice.

The last third of the cigar, a full 45 minutes later, got really powerful. The nicotine was really kicking in. Unfortunately, while the smoke just kept coming in wonderfully thick and heavy clouds, the flavor really flattened out. The spicyness was lost, the creamy flavor overpowered by the pure nicotine rush. I could definitely feel a buzz as I decided to let this thing go out with about 2 inches left. Just too much power for me, much more than I've ever gotten from a 'regular' RP Vintage.

In sum, this was the best of the RP Vintages, in my opinion. Definitely NOT worth what I paid picking it up as a single (it comes in a very nice wooden coffin) at a local B&M shop, which was $10. But I noticed that CBid has the big "gift box" of 15 RP cigars (5 Vintage '90 'A's, 5 Edge 'A's, and 5 Sungrown 'A's) currently at under $100. That might be a worthwhile purchase, especially if the 'A' size improves the Sungrown anywhere near as much as it did the Vintage. The Edge 'A' size I'm willing to give a try, but honestly I already find this cigar to be borderline too powerful, so while I'll give it a shot, I'm more likely to try and trade these off to someone who appreciates the power.

I enjoyed the review Kevin. I like the RP edge at a couple $ each and it's a little less of a commitment.

I love the 1990s and the Sungrowns... hell call me a RP/IT whore and be done with it :p

I've been smoking the torpedos and love them, Looks like I need to give the 'A' Train a try!

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review. I've got one of these in the humi and I've been wondering if I should smoke it, age it or trade it. Looks like I'll be smoking it.

Kevpriest,

Great review! Thanks a bunch for sharing your wonderful experience. I wasn't impressed with the RP92 and SG's but I've got a gifted RP90 Robusto on deck. Just a question, did you notice any tar buildup? What kind of cutter did you use?

Wilkey

I used a guillotine to cut this. I did notice tar build up around the head and cap, mostly near the end, as the cigar was delivering all that nicotine power.

I don't normally experience that on the smaller ones, like the robusto or the torpedo, but on the A, there was just too much cigar for it not to happen, I guess.

Thanks for the review!

I've seen alot of deals currently floating around on the RP90's, 92's, and SG's at various online retailers, I think I may have to jump on one of them here shortly.

I have a box of Vintage 1990 Torpedos for special occasions. They are one of my favorites. Haven't had the PAM, but i'd like to try it some time to compare! :) IMHO RP makes some great cigars

I've never seen the "A" size but I have a few of the Churchills around. Really good smoke for the money. Nice review too :thumbs:

Love All the RP/IT lines, I always find them very consistant. I am new here and you guys have a great site. Thanks for the review on the "A" size

Joe

Great review, thanks!

Never have been interested in that size however. Biggest I've managed to finish is church hill, and even then I start to get board with it.

Ohhh, nic gets wood over a Churchill :blush:

nic said:
Great review, thanks!
Biggest I've managed to finish is church hill, and even then I start to get board with it.
[snapback]268386[/snapback]​

nice review kev

i got some 2nds off cbid as well. they were unbanded

i felt myself trying to "chew" the flavor from these babies. i'm not good on "floral notes" "leather" etc, but it was damn good

i also concur with the RP sungrown. had one from a trade and fell in love.

RP is really coming along as a premier name. I never felt much of the ITs were special (decent, but not special). the vintage and sungrowns have moved up in the echelon in my opinion