• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
So I went to the local B&M today as I was craving something good to try out. It's been a pretty long week and I could use the R&R. I'm just entering the cigar world, so when I got there I asked the guy who was working if he could lend me some guidance. Well, apparently he wasn't very knowledgeable either as he just read the descriptions off of the displays. What a big help he was. :rolleyes: I ended up picking out 3 new cigars to try, one of which included the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto.

My first impression was that I was going to like this cigar. The aroma it gave off was very rich and I couldn't wait to light it up. Once I did, I was hit with a burst of spice right off of the bat, a mixing of cedar and some more earthy tones. There was a hint of some pepper there, but not too much. It held this flavor up to about midway through, until it turned to something a little lighter, such as a very mild coffee or caramel flavor. This was a pleasant surprise and I genuinely enjoyed it. The cigar ended with an assault of pepper at the end, which I didn't relish, but to each his own.

As for the construction of the cigar, the draw was right where it needed to be. The burn however, was not ideal and I actually had a sort of... dead spot. I can't think of anything else to call it, it just did not burn at all. I thought it rather odd, but I guess it happens.

Overall not a bad cigar, but probably not one I'll be trying again in the future. Next time I go to light up, I'll take some pictures to go along with the review.

Nice review! :thumbs: These are some of my favorites, though never had a problem with dead spot. Give them another try, maybe let them rest in your humi for 6 months or so to see if it tastes and/or burns any different. Good job!!

My first impression of the RP 1990 (toro size) was it was just slightly mild for my taste, but flavorful. However, it left such a nice aftertaste thats its become one of my favorites.

Thanks for the review. I wish I could describe the different tastes but all I can say is if I like one or not

Nice review! This is one of my favorite milder cigars for when I am in the mood for a change up. I usually smoke stronger and spicier stuff but when I am in the mood for a more mellow/smooth cigar this is one of my go-to's. IMHO you probably just got a bad stick because my experience with these has been they have beautiful construction and burn (and I run into burn problems like its my job). If you liked the taste you may want to give it another try and see if it works out better next time.

I may have to try another, though I think I'll leaveit in the humi for at least a couple of weeks first. I glanced at the rh in the B&M and it wavered around 72-73, so we'll see what a few weeks at 65 will do to it (once my beads get here, can't wait). My next noob review will be on a Punch Rare Carojo, which I've heard good things about, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the review, very goood. I have smoked a couple of these, and though I like something a little stronger, I did enjoy them. I agree with the guys, maybe a little time in the humi will make them a little better.

Is the wrapper on these actually maduro or no? I have read the description between these and the 92's but still don't know if the 90 is maduro or not. Nice review BTW.

To be honest, I don't really know how to spot a maduro other than they're incredibly darker in color. I don't believe this cigar has a maduro wrapper, just don't quote me on it. But from what everyone's been saying, I guess I like my cigars on the milder side due to the fact that I thought this one was pretty spicey towards the end, yet everyone mentions it's a milder cigar.

Try the Sixty's. IMO, they smoke and taste a whole lot better than the Robustos.