• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

SewerRanger

Ring Gauge: 52
Length: 6.5
Filler: Dominican & Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaragua

Oh so tasty; that's really the best way to describe almost all of Rocky Patel’s offerings and this little guy is no exception. I was given a box of these by a good friend and couldn't be happier. Everything about these cigars screams of class from the very beautiful dark wood box they come in, to the luscious dark wrapper and pleasing smell that lingers in the air - these are good cigars and they know it. Rocky Patel stumbled upon some aged tobacco wrappers in a factory and immediately bought them. They found they now had two different wrappters in their possession: an aged Ecuador Sumatra and an aged Honduran Broadleaf. The Vintage 1990 cigar is made with the former and the Vintage 1992 (another good smoke) is made with the latter. The overall construction of the cigar was very nice. Featuring a dark brown veiny wrapper with a pleasant cocoa smell and a box pressed shape, I was very eager to taste these guys. The cigar lit without a hassle and with my first match to boot, something that doesn't happen very often for me. The initial flavor was a gentle nuttiness with some woody undertones. I was surprised that a cigar with such a dark wrapper would only be medium bodied, but my surprise soon turned to elation as I smoked some more. The nutty flavor soon disappeared and a coffee and cocoa flavor developed. This was an interesting cocoa flavor though. Normally cigars with chocolate flavors have a bittersweet cocoa taste to them, but this was more of a luscious velvety cocoa that stood out on the front of your palette and lingered in the back after every exhale. It blended smoothly with the coffee taste and I soon forgot my reservations about this being only a medium bodied smoke. About half way through I started noticing "pockets" of a floral like flavor creeping in. It would be two puffs of cocoa and coffee and then out of nowhere a puff of woodsy floral flavor and then cocoa and coffee for another 5 puffs. Maybe somebody got a little careless with the blending but I enjoyed it anyway. Eventually these surprise puffs went away and with the last quarter of the stick everything blended into a melody of flavor with floral, coffee, and velvety cocoa all blending into a fantastic taste. Rocky Patel has stolen my heart again.

I love these and the 92's. They have always been consistantly good every time I've smoked one. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review. I might have to go out and try the Vintage 1990. To be honest, I have a friend who, like you, is a huge Rocky Patel fan. From him, I got a handful of the Vintage 1992, but unlike DirtyDave, I was not a big fan. I have also tried some of Rocky's seasonal releases which I was not impressed with. However, the one cigar he produces which I do think is fantastic is the Decade. Truly an amazing cigar. I met Rocky about a month ago as my local B&M was hosting an event with him. Very nice guy...

So far out of the vintage line I prefer the '90 and '99 Connecticut. The '92s I have taste kind of funky, not in a sick period kind of way, but a wet leather smells kind of way. Dunno. :laugh:

Nice review, next time give us some pictures! :D

I enjoy the 1990 occasionally and must admit I like them fresher vs aged. The Decade in my opinion is Rocky's home run, what a great stick.

One day I'll get around to taking pictures as I review these things. I normally just smoke them on my front step with the music blaring and a nice glass of Tequila. I don't really set out to review them so I don't normally have a camera ready. I smoke it, reflect on the taste, pet my dog, jot some notes down, and forget about the cigar until I write my review.

I enjoy the 1990 occasionally and must admit I like them fresher vs aged. The Decade in my opinion is Rocky's home run, what a great stick.
If I remember I'll try and give my thoughts on the cigar in a month or so. I got these about three days ago so they were really fresh when I smoked them.

No worries, I was just joshing ya! I try not to pet my dog when I am smoking, the little creep rolls around in the dirt, lord knows I don't want an artificially infused "earthy" flavor.

One day I'll get around to taking pictures as I review these things. I normally just smoke them on my front step with the music blaring and a nice glass of Tequila. I don't really set out to review them so I don't normally have a camera ready. I smoke it, reflect on the taste, pet my dog, jot some notes down, and forget about the cigar until I write my review.

I friend had brought up a couple of these along on our vacation last weekend. The 1990 is not a bad smoke. I'm not a big Patel fan, but this one was good!

No worries, I was just joshing ya! I try not to pet my dog when I am smoking, the little creep rolls around in the dirt, lord knows I don't want an artificially infused "earthy" flavor.
Gotcha. I live in the city. At best he can roll around on the concrete but at 15, he usually just collects dust sleeping in the corner.

I friend had brought up a couple of these along on our vacation last weekend. The 1990 is not a bad smoke. I'm not a big Patel fan, but this one was good!

I concur. For me, the 90, 92, and recently the Renaissance have all been really good. Just about everything else of his I've tried has been so so. I haven't had a decade yet, so I might have to try one if I come across it.

The 92 was one of my favorites when I first started smoking cigars again after a long break. I was worried that my tastes may have changed and left a couple at the bottom of the humidor for a year or so. I smoked it recently and was pleased to find that I still liked it.

Thanks for the review!

You hit the coffee/cocoa thing on the head. I had the PC sized 1992 last week and thought that the cocoa overtones were great. I'm with you that there isn't the bitterness in the cocoa flavor it's more like medium dark chocolate flavor if that makes any sense. Just curious, are you thinking that the flavor is coming from the wrapper?

I lean toward the blend, because I don't remember much difference in taste between the two, and the primary difference is the wrapper. It has been a while since I smoked either, and my palette has become a bit more refined, so I might have to get a couple and take some notes.

Good question!

Thanks for the review!

You hit the coffee/cocoa thing on the head. I had the PC sized 1992 last week and thought that the cocoa overtones were great. I'm with you that there isn't the bitterness in the cocoa flavor it's more like medium dark chocolate flavor if that makes any sense. Just curious, are you thinking that the flavor is coming from the wrapper?
I'm glad you understand what I was trying to say about the cocoa. Everyone recognizes bittersweet chocolate, but this taste wasn't really bittersweet but much more of a luscious creamy chocolate. As for the wrapper giving it that flavor, I really don't have any idea. It may sound funny saying this but I really don't know where the cigar flavors come from, I just know what I taste when I smoke cigars. I’ve had cigars that sound like they’ve got the same I wonder if anyone has every really done scientific research on the origins of various tobacco flavors. I know beer flavors have pretty much been nailed down and the same thing with wine and most liquors, but I've not read much on tobacco.

Thanks for the review!

I'm glad you understand what I was trying to say about the cocoa. Everyone recognizes bittersweet chocolate, but this taste wasn't really bittersweet but much more of a luscious creamy chocolate. As for the wrapper giving it that flavor, I really don't have any idea. It may sound funny saying this but I really don't know where the cigar flavors come from, I just know what I taste when I smoke cigars. I’ve had cigars that sound like they’ve got the same I wonder if anyone has every really done scientific research on the origins of various tobacco flavors. I know beer flavors have pretty much been nailed down and the same thing with wine and most liquors, but I've not read much on tobacco.

If you like that chocolate flavor, smoke a Johnny-O! corona gorda pigtail. When I received my package of his cigars from a GB last month, not only did the bag reek of melted chocolate (freakin' amazing), the cigar was rich with the flavor. I asked Greg if he had left a Snickers in the box by accident, hehe. :D I gotta get my hands on more of those things!