• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

T2P

Green Horn
First of all let me start by thanking Lkyman for setting me up with this stick. Being new to the cigar smoking crowd I decided to participate in the Newbie Sampler program and he was more than generous in his trade. Thanks again to you Lkyman.

My smoking has been pretty stagnant lately as I have been in the process of getting married and as we have been out of town and then getting situated together there has not been a whole lot of time. Yesterday I realized that I have precious little smoking time before the cold hits (Hudson, Wisconsin drawback) and made a point of telling myself that today was going to involve a good smoke. Luckily this one did not disappoint.

The Vintage 1990 was a larger cigar both length and gauge wise than I typically smoke (mostly corona's). First impressions of the cigar were rather good. The wrapper of this cigar was nice and oily with very few large veins. The view of the filling was also very pleasing as the channels were evident and again only a couple of veins were evident and they were by no means large. The only negative was that the end had obviously been bumped slightly and the wrapper had about a 1/8th crack. This was definitely a problem on my part during the move and Lkyman had nothing to do with it. The burgundy and gold double bands look very sophisticated on the darker wrapper.

Looking at the cap, I noticed that the placement was perfect and very solid. On cutting it was very clean. Taking a prelight draw it did seem a little loose, which I found surprising. Using my torch lighter I started this one up and quickly had it going. First impressions yielded a light tasting smoke that was dense and very visible. First notes were velvety and included some tones of espresso and cocoa. The smoke became more dense throughout about the first inch or so.

At this point I began to notice the cocoa taste fading (the coffee remained slightly) and was replaced with a more earthy taste. The smoke turned to a slightly more dense taste and retained its full cloud. One drawback I did notice at this point is that the smoke was burning rather uneven. I am usually pretty good at getting them corrected by turning but this one would not cooperate so I performed a minor touch up.

Throughout the smoke there has been no bite, just smoothness. Also, the draw that I mentioned before did not prove to be too loose at all, it was perfect. At about inch two the light coffee flavor spiked to a distinct espresso one. Coupled with the dense creamy smoke that was still present the taste was very comparable to the bloom on a good cup of French Pressed coffee which I found wonderful. A good amount of light gray ash was forming at this point with little to no cracking.

From inch two to three the uneven burn came back again (such a nuisance) and required another touch up.

At about halfway through it was time to ash as it was getting ready to break. After doing so I am not sure if it was the fresh air coming through or what but there was a slight minty taste. Almost like peppermint or menthol but it did not last long nor was it a bad thing. Shortly after, the coffee faded into a more leathery taste. The undertones of it were still there but this smoke looked to be going someplace a bit bolder. The leather remained for much of the next inch or so. Another flavor began to incorporate that I couldn't quite place until about inch 4. I should have picked up on what it far sooner but it was pepper. The earlier stages tasted like a white pepper while at the later it developed into a more powerful black pepper.

One of the things that remained very consistent throughout still was the amount of creamy texture the smoke had. In addition, the coffee undertones came and went in various intensities throughout as well.

Towards about the 4.5 inch mark I was starting to get a bit of acrid taste. I forced my way through a couple more puffs and put it down. I ran inside quick for a short break and to grab some water. After taking a good pull and coming back out I took it up for one more chance. I must have been burning it a little too hot because it had cooled slightly and after taking a few more generous puffs I realized that I could take black licorice! I was so happy I took this one up for the last half inch just to get that flavor. I smoked this one down to about an inch where the acridness returned and that was the end of this stick.

Overall I have to say I am very impressed with this smoke. The coffee and creamy smoke stayed through until the bitter end which helped maintain a very nice flow. The unique thing, however, was that even those flavors were there, others were still able to make themselves known and readily apparent, which I really enjoyed. I would defiantly recommend this cigar if you like a medium to slightly full bodied cigar that provides some interesting complexities.

Again I have only been smoking cigars for a few months now but I hope you are able to find parts of this review helpful :cool:

Nice review. Very desriptive. Glad to hear you enjoyed the stick. The 1990 along with the Decade are the only two RPs that I really enjoy. At least so far.

I am glad you both liked the review.

Thechenman, I am glad that is one of the ones I got in the pass then. It seems to be one a lot of people are interested in.

Dave, I am starting to think you are stalking me ;)

Nice review. I have a couple Rocky Patel Vintage sticks in the humidor and I think it'd be a good time to light one up if the weather cooperates.

I would have to add that the 2 1/2yrs of age have done great justice to this smoke. I'm really glad you enjoyed it bro.

This is one of my favorite cigars too. I can't believe I've never reviewed it. I know exactly what your talking about with the coffee / french press notes. Didn't have many issues with the burn on this cigar myself.

Great review!

Thanks for the comments on the review folks! Also, I believe I may need to pick up a couple more of these for down the road to see if I can't correct the burn issue. Again, that is really the only negative of this smoke and honesly with my lack of experience smoking larger gauge ones it could easliy be a product of my own fault.

Nice review. Very desriptive. Glad to hear you enjoyed the stick. The 1990 along with the Decade are the only two RPs that I really enjoy. At least so far.

The original Decades were good, the newer ones were rushed in the fermenting process and all came out with a charred taste. Tisk tisk Rocky.

I like them as well. :thumbs:
Never really had any burn problem with the ones I had so far.

I like them as well. :thumbs:
Never really had any burn problem with the ones I had so far.

Now I really want to find some more just to see if I have user error with burning on these ones or if it was just an odd yet wonderful tasting stick.

These are some of my favorite smokes too. I love that unique chocolate flavor they have. My only complaint with these is that I've found they've gotten mellower the longer I have them in my humi. I mean, I've only had my recent batch about 3 months now and they're definitely much more mellow then I remember and some of the flavor profiles have disappeared. I guess with these,you have to smoke ‘em hard and smoke ‘em fast.

Also the peppermint or menthol taste you were talking about could have been the 'metallic taste' that I get from most Rockys. Also, the 1990 tends to be better than the 1992, IMO.

I've not had a 1990 in a long while, actually have a number of them put way back in the wineador. I pulled them out this past weekend and the cello is now yellow on them (been in there for a few years now). There's several of each vitola 90, 99, OWR, Edge, Connecticut 99, etc. I took one of the Connecticut out just to see how it smoked and boy have my tastes changed over the years. It was a decent smoke, but way too mild for my palate. They're all back snug in the cab, way back in the humi again. Maybe over Thanksgiving I'll pull out one of the 90's and see how they're smoking.

Excellent, descriptive review!

King if they're too mild and taking up that precious room in the humi just send em to me. My tastes have not changed yet :laugh:

I've not had a 1990 in a long while, actually have a number of them put way back in the wineador. I pulled them out this past weekend and the cello is now yellow on them (been in there for a few years now). There's several of each vitola 90, 99, OWR, Edge, Connecticut 99, etc. I took one of the Connecticut out just to see how it smoked and boy have my tastes changed over the years. It was a decent smoke, but way too mild for my palate. They're all back snug in the cab, way back in the humi again. Maybe over Thanksgiving I'll pull out one of the 90's and see how they're smoking.

Excellent, descriptive review!

That's interesting, I've thought the Connecticuts to be a pretty crappy cigar. Tasted like the tobacco wasn't aged long enough and had that amonia taste to it. Maybe they're a decent cigar. Maybe all it needs is some time in the humi. But yeah light up that well aged 1990 and let us how it is!

I have purchased a couple of boxes of the 1990 vintage toro over the last year. I find them to be exactly as advertised. Old tobacco that has been sitting around in a barn for nearly 20 years. I can taste it and it is delicious, this old stuff. I just ordered a bundel of 25 of the Toros and they will be here Monday. When I think of Rocky Patel, I think Vintage 1990 and 92.

I love all the 60 ring gauge Vintage Rocky cigars. I usually don't smoke many that thick but these and the Perdomo Habano Presidente are exceptions.

BTW, in case you weren't just kidding, they aren't really made from 20 YO tobacco. :) But they are great cigars, IMO.