• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dona Flor

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
I've found a lack of information on Cigar Pass regarding Dona Flor cigars, the Brazilian puros from Bahia that were ever so briefly popular with the American smoking public a couple years ago. Initially very promising after some positive ratings, a feud broke out between the manufacturers and the distributors. That argument has created a mess and my intent is to try to figure out the details.

The first real stirrings of publicity came with this article (linky) in Cigar Aficionado, which provides a very good background for the pedigree of the brand as well as the personal history of the man behind the brand, Felix Menendez. Felix is the son of Alonso Menendez, the man who created the Montecristo brand in Cuba before fleeing in 1960 when Castro seized their business. Felix Menendez began making Dona Flor in 1977. When the referenced article was writen in 2005, the cigars were made by Menendez's company, Menendez Amerino & Cia, and distributed in the US by Brazil Cigars & Tobacco (BCT), headquartered in Miami.

The attention piqued some curiosity in the brand on a national level, but what really propelled it was a 92 rating for the Dona Flor Seleçao Robusto in the December 2007 issue of Cigar Aficionado. Tobacconists in the US were overwhelmed at the sudden demand for a cigar they hadn't really stocked. That demand created a shortage and the fight began. BCT accused Menendez Amerino & Cia of rushing the cigars to sale too early, providing an unsmokable product. More accusations flew, and when the dust settled, the distributor had found a new company to produce its cigars and both manufacturer and distributor claimed the trademark. (citation) Nasty letters were sent to tobacconists, each claiming legitimacy over the other in a he-said/she-said battle that clearly only hurt the smokers.

I've read that each has had a booth at the IPCPR tradeshows for the last few years. Apparently, the BCT smokes made by the other factory have a little footband with serial number to differentiate them from the Menendez cigars. Can any folks in-the-know provide some additional insight on this craziness?

Questions I have now:
1. What company is producing the cigars for Brazil Cigars & Tobacco?
2. How do the new BCT smokes compare with the premeltdown Menendez smokes?
3. Presumably Menendez remained with his own company. If I were to buy Dona Flor in Brazil today, would they be Menendez Amerino & Cia cigars?
4. I've found the BCT smokes online-- where can I get the Menendez smokes?

Personally, I first tried a Dona Flor when I visited Brazil in late 2005. My tastes were still developing; I remember it wasn't a tremendously complex smoke, but I really enjoyed it. I have one more in my humidor to this day-- I plan on smoking and reviewing it soon. I also picked up a handful of the Seleçao Robustos in early '08 as the blowup was going down. I liked those as well, so I'll give one a revisit for comparison's sake.

I look forward to conducting the reviews and I appreciate anyone sharing anything he or she may know about this.

Additional references:
Perelman's 31 Mar 08 Article on the Meltdown
Tom's Cigars Video review of the BCT Dona Flor Seleçao Robusto from May 09- it's a long review, but interesting because they voice their support for Dana Shelton, head of BCT.
Brazil Cigars & Tobacco's Website
GVG International- possibly BCT's new manufacturer?

I've had 2 of those BCT Dona Flor selecao robusto's (the ones with the numbered label on the foot). That video is what got me to want to try them. Love 'em and I only have 1 more left.

A good friend (thanks, rydermonster) just happened to gift me one from a trip to Vegas and he found it at a local shop. He didn't even know I was looking for it. Their price was too steep to pull the trigger on a whole box and the website I saw them on.........wasn't too sure if they were a trustworthy site.

I would like to know if the Menendez version is better or not also. Anytime I see a cigar maker with a cigar with a Brazillion (how many is that?) Mata Fina wrapper on I think....hmmm, wonder if it tastes like the Dona Flor?

I have had the Menendez versions of the Dona Flor, and I love them. I find the Mata Fina sweet, with absolutely no
bitterness, acrid flavors, or any nasties at all.

I found a vendor that pictured the Menendez versions right before I went in for surgery. I'm down for a box split if anybody wants to go that route. Either version is fine with me, as I feel they're both worth a try.
I do have an email from that vendor, with pricing, etc., that I will dig up this evening.

My favorite non Dona Flor Cigar cigar utilizing Mata Fina is Panacea. The more I've smoked them, the more I appreciate the
great flavor, construction, consistency, and approachability of the cigar. A great, unique, cigar. Great pricing too.

I think the Liga Privada No 9 utilizes Mata Fina as well, but my experience with them has been dismal, with a lot of
inconsistency, and construction problems. Too damned expensive to put up with that nonsense.

BTW, mjolnir01, I appreciate the work you did gathering this information. My Google-Fu is limited, and I did not fare well at all trying to get the story on what happened, and who was who. Well done!

Thanks for the inputs fellas. I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan here. I enjoy the CAO Brazilia as well, but like all the other cigars using Mata Fina out there, it's simply a multi-national blend like most non-Cuban cigars. I think a lot of Dona Flor's character comes from the fact it's a puro. Panacea Black Maduros remain high on my must-try list though.

The situation, from what I can gather, is similar to what's going on with the traditional Cuban cigar names. For example: the rest of the world knows Cohibas are made in Cuba, but in the US, after a lengthy court battle, General owns the brand name. American B&Ms- embargo aside- are stuck with Red Dots. Menendez makes Dona Flor-- all Brazilians know that-- but because BCT owns the trademark in the US, this is the only place where another cigar is allowed to wear a Dona Flor band.

What I'm NOT doing is taking sides here-- just simply trying to sort the mess out.

I'll try to smoke one of my resting Dona Flors tonight. I'll post a link to the review in this thread.

I'll split a box with you Dan! Either the BCT version or the Menendez blend, your call.

PM sent!

This 5 pack was bought on November 2009 from Rio Janeiro. Cigars are smooth, peppery and have very peculiar fruity or aniseed like aftertaste. I like them.

Warning: Pics are large and host can pop NSFW adds if your browser doesn't block them

Edit: I have another 5 robusto box from February 2009 from the same manufacturer without Connecticut wrapper.

BCTs page:
http://www.donaflorcigar.com/donaflor.html
Menendez Amerinos page:
http://www.menendezamerino.com.br/ingles/

BCTs page:
Menendez Amerinos page:

Omskakas, great finds, especially the Menendez and Amerino link. I think I see the best way to distinguish any packaging... the BCT stuff has a very large capital B for their trademark, while the Menendez products have the black shield with the lion on it. That could come in handy! Thanks!

BCTs page:
Menendez Amerinos page:

Omskakas, great finds, especially the Menendez and Amerino link. I think I see the best way to distinguish any packaging... the BCT stuff has a very large capital B for their trademark, while the Menendez products have the black shield with the lion on it. That could come in handy! Thanks!

Thank you for the informative opening post.

BTW. Menendez Amerino makes great cheaper cigars under "Alonso Menendez" brand. Good roasted, coffee/chocolatey taste.

Thanks! I've heard the Alonso Menendez mentioned before, but have never seen them anywhere for sale. I'll have to do some more homework.

I posted my first Dona Flor review here (linky), first visiting a stick I picked up in Brazil in '05. Not as great as I remember, but hardly a bad cigar. I'll try to get my second review, the Seleçao Robusto that set off the whole blowup, sometime soon.

I found two sources, so far. I plan to call them tomorrow to figure out who has which makers cigars. I am going for Selacao and Mata Fina wrapped varieties. Will get the results to any box split participants after that.
I am definitely getting a box of the Selacao, maybe two if available.

Dan, thanks the legwork in tracking these cigars down. I look forward to getting in on the box split and getting some more of those Seleçaos. They were quite good!

Linky to my Dona Flor Seleçao Robusto review

I really enjoyed this little science experiment, and thanks to all who contributed. I think we've all gotten a good grasp now on what happened,who makes which smokes and where we can get them. We're not done yet though... this will have to get bumped later on once we are able to smoke some of the newer offerings!

Heh,
Well, I can get a box of 20 Selecao for 99 plus s/h from one Vendor who says his are from Miami, which I take as BCT.
I couldn't get through to some other vendors who I am guessing have mata fina maduro wrapped cigars from Menendez.
One in particular seems to carry both Manufacturers. Will try to call again Saturday.

I found an article about Menendez Amerino:
http://inlumino.com.au/european_cigar_culture/Menendez%20Amerino.pdf

Dang, forgot about this. Been recovering from major surgery. Will try find some time to get some sort of order together in the next few weeks.

Dang, forgot about this. Been recovering from major surgery. Will try find some time to get some sort of order together in the next few weeks.

Dan, don't worry about it. Concentrate on getting better and we can reattack on this later. I don't think the cigars are going anywhere anytime soon.

Dan, don't worry about it. Concentrate on getting better and we can reattack on this later. I don't think the cigars are going anywhere anytime soon.

X2, Dan.

Health first, cigars 2nd. Unless buying cigars gives you theraputic value, like me.
laugh.gif

Huge news for my fellow Dona Flor fans... what, like 3 or 4 of us?

Dona Flor Cigars Back on the Market with New Distribution

It looks like they settled out of court, with Menendez Amerino & Cia resuming manufacture of Dona Flors for the US market. The new distributor is headquartered in Colorado. Great news; hopefully they'll be as good as I remember them to be.

I read about them too and wondering also if the blend has changed any from what I remember. Hopefully, someone here will stock them so I can add some other items to offset shipping.