• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Retrohale

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Ok, inspired by information in another thread, I've come across another newb question that I don't know the answer to. Is there a proper or optimal method for retrohale? I mean, like in terms of frequency? I actually prefer the retrohale as opposed to just exhaling the smoke from my mouth. I find I get a fuller taste and flavor experience. I'm probably at at least 1:1 as far as "traditional" vs. retrohale (yes, I just learned the definition of this word in the other thread, too).

I read some people say, "Try it every now and then", or "Try retrohaling on light-up". Is there an unwritten rule as far as blowing the smoke through the nose? Seriously... A comment in another thread sparked a question I didn't even know I had until now.

I would think it is individual preference. I tend to do it often, but definitely not as regular as you claim. If you like it, do it.

I do it every few puffs or something like that. There's no right way.

Some say without retrohaling, you can't pick up on all the flavors in the cigar. Your taste buds can only pickup sweet, sour, salty and bitter tastes.
By retrohaling, you add other flavors that your taste buds can't hit like, spice and fuits. To each his/her own..........

Some do, some don't but, if you don't you just maybe missing something.

I do it maybe every fifth puff. I also let most of the smoke out my mouth and maybe the last third of the puff I just king of let it flow through my nose.

Cool. I don't consciously pay attention to the exhale/retrohale frequency. It just kind of happens. I notice that I do the opposite of you, BB. Usually all the smoke does not come out through my nose when I do it that way, and I end up slowly exhaling the rest out of my mouth.

I know, kind of a dumb noob question, but the "how to review" thread got me thinking...

Yea I also only do the last little bit. The whole puff would probably burn. Plus your sinuses are more sensitive tissues.

I have never really retrohaled before as I am what some would call a mouth breather. I have the worst sinus passages you can imagine. It is physically impossible for me to breath thru my nose. I have really bad alergies but gave this retrohal a shot because of what I read in the other thread and I just think its out of the cards for me. And man did it burn!

Maybe with a little practice it will get better. I have very good taste buds in my mouth and sense of smell is all there just extremely hard to breath thru the nose. Next few cigars I will give it more tries and see what happens.

I never do it either, I always seem to gag when I try. Still and always a newb.

Paul, first time I tried blowing smoke out my nose, I thought I was going to cry. I'm surprised I wasn't hopping around the balcony holding my face screaming, "THE HORROR! THE HOOOORRRRROOOOOOOOR!" It's still vivid. I recall instantly wondering what the hell I had just done, and what exactly was I thinking? The only other time regret has come so fast involved copious amounts of alcohol.

That said, it's just second nature, now. Very rarely do I get an uncomfortably burning retrohale. That only happens when I pee nownevermind... I understand if you have legit sinus issues, but if (for anyone) it's just a matter of having to get used to it, try with some mild sticks for a while.

I have never really retrohaled before as I am what some would call a mouth breather. I have the worst sinus passages you can imagine. It is physically impossible for me to breath thru my nose. I have really bad alergies but gave this retrohal a shot because of what I read in the other thread and I just think its out of the cards for me. And man did it burn!

Maybe with a little practice it will get better. I have very good taste buds in my mouth and sense of smell is all there just extremely hard to breath thru the nose. Next few cigars I will give it more tries and see what happens.

This comes from putting to many drugs up your nose pal, lol.

Seriously, I do this all the time, it enhances the flavor. Now, after reading this I'm consciously trying to figure our how often. Its taking away from the enjoyment, I hate this thread, lol.

I try to Retrohale all the time but end up sneezing like a you wouldn't believe, like Paul I have a serious nasal problem but I dont let it stop me from doing it because I can still pick out the taste of the cigar.

I find myself retro healing more often then not. I get to experience more flavor that way.

It takes a little practice to keep from choking but without doing it you will never be able to pick up all the suttle nuances and complexity of flavor a good cigar can offer. Start slowly and soon it will become second nature. That is when you will really start to enjoy and understand how much of an art there is to blending a great cigar.

Lefty

The key is to allow some air to mix with the smoke. If you take a big puff of smoke and try to pass it all through your nose it's pretty rough. If you allow some air to mix (maybe 50-50) it's much easier.

I've hear that the sting is indicative of the amount of ammonia present in the leaf. Retrohaling can help you distinguish the age of the tobacco you're smoking. If you retrohale something like an Anejo, it'll be nice and smooth with little to no "sting". But if you take a younger stick like a JDN Antanto 1970 it won't be as smooth and it'll probably sting.

I am a heavy retrohaler, but i never process all the smoke through my nasal passage. My rule of thumb is to push the middle third through my nose. this allows for the smoke to cool before passing it through the sensitive nasal membrane. On a great smoke I will try and get the final two thirds on a retrohale just because of the pleasure of really tasting the cigar.

I don't think any of the previous posters need to know this next bit of info but for future newbs I would like to point out that retrohaling is performed without inhaling. I have worked with a lot of virgin cigar smokers that have a hard time wrapping their minds around the process.

I used to quite frequently but developed a cough from it....I seldom do anymore.

Also, I personally think retrohaling locks you in more closely to a particular taste profile and makes it difficult to appreciate a milder cigar after smoking a heavier/stronger one.

Need to save this in the "when you need a laugh, read this" thread? Too,funny Kann.

I have yet to discern any real subtleties while retrohaling. It all seems to smell the same. Maybe I broke something.