• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

20 YO Bottle of 12 YO Scotch

CigarAl

First, let me say that I know little to nothing about about scotch (OK, nothing) so I thought I would ask this question here. I did a quick serach but could not find anything here about this.

When my parents moved last year I rescued a sealed bottle of 12 year old Chivas Regal (750 ml) still in the tin from their basement. Upon opening the tin there was a Chivas vacation sweepstakes brochue.

The date to have all enteries submitted by was March 15, 1991.

Assuming they did not put this brochure in bottles after 1991, I am guessing this bottle is over 20 years old. It was stored in their basement (we live in MA). The bottle is perfect condition.

My question is does scotch age in the bottle. A quick Google search shows differing opinions (and like most subjects, lots of information and opinions). Most agree that it does not age the same way it does in the barrels, but some seem to think there are changes that take place.

Laslty if anyone is interested in trading for this bottle (would prefer cigars) please let me know. I have no intention of drinking it. If you think I should post in the Trading room first I will.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Al

Nothing to be sorry about.

Please let me be clear, I am not looking for or think this bottle has any additional value compared to a bottle you could but today.

I thought it was a interesting question.

Al

When my grandmother passed late last year we had to go through her house. I found a gallon jug of Chivas Regal on a wooden pedestal with my grandfather's name etched on it. It had never been opened and still had the unbroken tax stamp on it. I'd never even seen a one gallon bottle before. My father told me the Saudi's (gov't) had given it to him in the 70's when we did a great deal of business with them. I vaguely remember being out on our boat in the Ohio river with a half dozen men in full suits in the early 80's when we would entertain them. Anyhow, my uncle flipped thinking the whiskey inside was aged an additional 30+ years until I explained that in glass the whiskey didn't age or mellow any further. He was terribly disappointed. Luckily, the bottle and stand are safely in my possession not to be opened until I retire. The whiskey won't be any better, but it will have made it through three generations of drinkers without having ever been cracked and by that time I'll have earned a gallon of scotch.

By definition, no, because aging refers to flavors picked up in the keg. Any changes after that would be small and not detectable. At least that's what they say.

I did have one experience with old bottles of Wild Turkey Rye thirty years ago in which it was definitely superior to recent bottlings. But there was no way to tell if they were different when they bottled or what made the difference. They MAY have experience a small amount of evaporation. Each was at a slightly different level(few mms).

But this was the only time I ever noticed any difference and it was inconclusive.

Lot of posts with a lot of words when only one will do. NO

Doc.

I work for a Scotch company. I've been in the liquor industry all my adult life. Scotch does not age in the bottle. It may evaporate. It may flake. The proof/alcohol content may change, but it does not age.

Michael