• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2005 Opus X Chili Pepper

Inconclusive based on the pictures... unfortunately, I really need them to be focused properly to give you a reasonable opinion one way or another.

Have you tried looking at them with a magnifying glass?

Alternately, you can post more pictures of your fiancee in bed if you want ;)

Smoking a moldy Chili pepper? :laugh: :sign:

Why don't I just send you the Perf #2, and you can take a glimpse in person? I'd prefer to get to the bottom of this, to know the status on all the other cigars.

I normally apply the 'smoke 'em if you got 'em' train of thought. However there are a few items that I don't apply this rule to as I too have an Opus 22 2005 set (#41). I have yet to light fire to any of them but this post had me a bit paranoid so I had to check on them this morning. Not only do I not have any mold, but not even a hint of cello yellow either. I think your B/M might have stored them with a little too much humidity.

That said, great review and I am figuring with a few more years of aging, I too will be enjoying these.

Bob

So long as the discussion shifts away from plume vs. mold and more towards fake vs. real, I'm okay with this. :sign:

I normally apply the 'smoke 'em if you got 'em' train of thought. However there are a few items that I don't apply this rule to as I too have an Opus 22 2005 set (#41). I have yet to light fire to any of them but this post had me a bit paranoid so I had to check on them this morning. Not only do I not have any mold, but not even a hint of cello yellow either. I think your B/M might have stored them with a little too much humidity.

That said, great review and I am figuring with a few more years of aging, I too will be enjoying these.

Bob

I made the mistake of just making sure the set had each vitola in it before it was purchased. Thank God I only got 2/3rd of it and a friend took the other third....so It's not a COMPLETE loss.

Thankfully, this isn't the same type of mold (which it seems to be...based off of the majority of opinions) found in the anejos last year...and the surface mold doesn't affect the flavor like mold actually on the inside of the cigar...which made one of my sharks taste like a dirty gym sock.

Still an enjoyable smoke...As were some of the others. Might as well smoke em all and cut my losses :laugh: :blush:

So long as the discussion shifts away from plume vs. mold and more towards fake vs. real, I'm okay with this. :sign:

:laugh: :laugh: To answer the question...Real... :D

Nice review. I love this cigar. I have been lucky enough to smoke one on my last two birthdays. These little guys seem to have a slightly different Opus profile and the spic is great.

As far as the mold/plume thing, if you can wipe it off, I wouldn't worry about it. Now if you keep getting mold growth and it gets into the foot, then I think you might have to smoke them quicker than you would like, which would suck. I had a couple Anejo last year that had the mold. I pulled the cedar off and wiped off the mold. It has not come back. The ones I smoked tasted fine. I have not checked any of the new Anejos...probably should.

I have been lucky enough to get a couple aged Opus. They had a fine dust on the surface of the cigar. I don't recall if it was sparkly. I assumed at the time that it was plume since it was small fine dust...I may have to rethink that evaluation. They were still goooda though.

Why did you edit your original post? ???

I think your original impressions were more sincere, before you were informed that it was more likely mold not plume. The edits substantially changed the review, IMO.

Why did you edit your original post? ???

I think your original impressions were more sincere, before you were informed that it was more likely mold not plume. The edits substantially changed the review, IMO.

Since I had the original saved in a word file, it was easy to re-instate the original. The only difference I had made was primarily to the conclusion, where I had just assumed it was Plume. In the Pre-light, I had the observation as an "either/ or" and just cut out plume since I found out what it REALLY was.

I see what you are saying...as before I smoked it I was unsure...and the only real thing that changed was the conclusion as to whether it was plume or mold. To contribute to the learning this thread may provide to others, I replaced the two minor things I edited with the original. Not sure why, when I wrote the conclusion, I assumed it was plume even though in my pre-light notes I acknowledged it could have been either or. Regardless, for educational purposes, I restored the original "Pre-light" and "conclusion" as nothing else was changed.

Should have considered the future references this thread could provide to others before wanting to be politically correct. Thanks for pointing it out MMM. :thumbs:

Thanks for reconsidering, Jake. :thumbs:

You wanted to believe it was plume because you had an enjoyable smoking experience. When you smoke it's twin, it will be hard to shake your preconceptions now that you know otherwise. An interesting and unfortunate dilemma.

You wanted to believe it was plume because you had an enjoyable smoking experience. When you smoke it's twin, it will be hard to shake your preconceptions now that you know otherwise. An interesting and unfortunate dilemma.

Very well put. I believe Moki nailed this on the head with his blind taste test a while back. Preconceptions carry an inherent psychosomatic effect that undeniably changes a cigar. I'm still trying to grasp it, but probably won't for quite some time.

Very nice review Jake. Unfortunatley I have to agree it more than likely is a light dusting of mold.

Bob

Why don't I just send you the Perf #2, and you can take a glimpse in person? I'd prefer to get to the bottom of this, to know the status on all the other cigars.

If you have a cigar that looks similar to the way the Chili Pepper looked to you, then sure, send it along. I'm out in CA on business next week, though... perhaps you can send it to Phil (Insight)? I'll be meeting up with him in CA and we can check it out then.

Make sure you pick a cigar with the cello on that you've never taken the cello off of, so as not to disturb whatever it is that is on the surface of the cigar. PM me if you need Phil's address.

If you have a cigar that looks similar to the way the Chili Pepper looked to you, then sure, send it along. I'm out in CA on business next week, though... perhaps you can send it to Phil (Insight)? I'll be meeting up with him in CA and we can check it out then.

Make sure you pick a cigar with the cello on that you've never taken the cello off of, so as not to disturb whatever it is that is on the surface of the cigar. PM me if you need Phil's address.

I think napa_smokes has some he wants to get rid of....PM him!

I agree with Moki. I had the pleasure a few years ago to smoke an original release Opus and the "bloom" on that cigar made me understand mold from "bloom" very quickly. I had mold on some of my Anejos and DCMs. That's mold sir. It's never affected the taste of a cigar for me, but it is mold. Older Opus with "bloom" looks different.

I would love to try a BBMF or a chili Pepper. Whether it was moldy or ploomy, hopefully you enjoyed it.

I let Phil know it's on the way, and the spicemen will be on the road tomo.

What opus? There are opus coming here?

I think I might know the difference between plume and mold at this point after some experiments with each....

The pictures is really hard to distinguish if its mold or not. I am at 99.9% sure its mold. I've seen cigars in a B&M shop exactly with that look and it always smeared. Having actually studied mold in my Biochemistry days, that is why I am so sure. But mold on that level generally makes the cigar taste pretty bad. I've read the current posted review and its pretty close to my many experiences with the Chili Pepper. Its a shame to see a cigar of that caliber in such horrible state. But at least it smoked pretty good for you. :thumbs:

BigJake, Phil did the cigar hand off to me tonight, and I looked at it for a bit under less than idea lighting in Shanghai 1930.

I don't think it's mold. I'm not sure what it is, it's interesting, you can only see the whiteness at an angle, head-on you don't see it. I did notice that the wrapper is a bit blistered, but other than that, these are rather unique looking cigars.

I'll post after I get to look at it under a loupe, but I apologize to you for the false alarm. I'm not certain yet exactly what is going on, but it does not appear to be mold.