• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2009 Cigar Budget

SiriusBlack

Always make it look easy...
So has anyone else put any thought to your 2009 cigar budget? I guess I started thinking about it because I spent way more than usual over the holidays on smokes. I visited a couple of new B&M's, then I was getting ready for a few days of vacation and just went a little overboard. So I was thinking that's not a bid deal every once in while but for the coming year I want to try and keep a handle on my spending and plan for the splurges. So including a trip to Casa Fuente I am drawing a line in the sand of about $1100 for the year. When I took a review of my Quicken checkbook for last year I spent about $800 for the year but this included humi beads, my vinotemp, my cooledor, etc. I think I am set in terms of storage for a while but I put some cushion in there in hopes of making a Casa Fuente stop and a few boxes this year. I even put a little spreadsheet together to track my spending. We'll see.

I make every effort possible, not to mix "cigar", and "budget", in the same sentence. :whistling:

Seriously, I have an amount that I allow for cigars from my pay. I do other money saving things, like brown bagging my lunch, for instance.

I get a $200 allowance out of each paycheck from the wife. ;) Besides a haircut and some coffee every now and then, that's allocated towards cigars.

If I said what my cigar budget is, you'd cry. So I guess I will keep it a secret. :whistling:

I don't have too great of an income, so I used to devote a certain % of my pay to my greatest hobby, cigars. Now I simply look for ridiculous deals & stay away from the (usually really poor) impulse buys. I also do some money saving things, just so more $$ stays in my pockets.

I have no budget. If I make some money under the table either doing computer support or working as a bouncer / bartender when my local favorite bar has live music, then I spend that money on cigars.

So far I've kept my small humidor in stock :)

With a second baby on the way and a new house being built, I would say that my cigar budget will be next to nothing this year. Good thing I am stocked up for at least five years of smoking.

My wife runs the books so i just get a small allowance. If the NIH decides to fund my fellowship then it will increase, but that isn't until mid-year if it works. I think having a set amount free for cigars is the best way to go. It beats going buck wild and realizing that you have no money for food.

I just blew my cigar budget for the year today. :)

Pics. With quarters.

Now.

:laugh: First laugh of the day...thanks.

That definitely was good... Still waiting for pics....

I definitely spent way too much last year, my first "full" year of buying as a hobby, and am pretty well rounded as far as selection- specially with some bombs from some brothers... I think this year I'll be a bit more selective and save for more high end stuff now. Also looking forward to some bombs of my own...

and Jfields.... You were right... "Dan- soon you'll have more than you can ever smoke..."

I just blew my cigar budget for the year today. :)

Pics. With quarters.

Now.

:laugh: First laugh of the day...thanks.

That definitely was good... Still waiting for pics....

I definitely spent way too much last year, my first "full" year of buying as a hobby, and am pretty well rounded as far as selection- specially with some bombs from some brothers... I think this year I'll be a bit more selective and save for more high end stuff now. Also looking forward to some bombs of my own...

and Jfields.... You were right... "Dan- soon you'll have more than you can ever smoke..."

Very good point. I think this past year I didn't have a whole lot so I was buying a lot more. This year there are some specific items I want which are mostly the hard to get Fuentes and then some other lower end boxes and fivers as well. Long story long I just have to spend like I have some sense (as my mother would say).

The word "budget" in itself stresses me out!! :( I spent almost nothing in the last year or so. This year I am planning on spending about $5k, which does not go very far in the high end stuff. I already have about half of that spoken for already. Too much cool stuff has come out since I have been away. So I am sure that I will still miss out on plenty.

I doubt I will spend much this year. My wife and I hope to build a home in the spring. I'm sure that will consume most of my smoking time and all of my cigar money.

No wife... no kids... I spend what I want, when I want. Just gotta make sure the mortgage, car, bills, and savings have been taken care of first.

I spend the money I make sugaring on cigars. Unfortunately, what the trees giveth, a lousy spring (too warm, too quick) can taketh away. So, I really won't know what I have to spend until the end of March. It's always been more than adequate,though.

Doc.

I had a new cabinet to fill up so last year was a spendy one. Dang it if I didn't spend the rest of the year making as big a dent in it as I possibly could.... :laugh:

I typically spend bonus money on cigars so that fluctuates somewhat. Truth is, if there's something I want or if there's a sale on something I like, I usually display little to no self control..... :whistling:

Cheers, guys - B.B.S.

Back