• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

30+ Inches of Snow in the Mid-Atlantic

Another 10 -17 inches expected today/tomorrow in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, on top of the 37 we got on Saturday. I don't know where the plow tucks are going to push the stuff. There's already four to five foot banks where they pushed the last snow with only one lane open.

I made friends with the plow operator by bringing him some "refreshments" to help him through. He's been kind enough to clear the end of my driveway when he passes now. :cool:
Told me on Sunday that he's burned through three different transmissions already.

Woah, that's some crazy snowfalls. Good luck digging out (again).

Not too bad for us in the arctic wasteland known as Minnesota. However, I've blown out my driveway everyday for the last 3 days due to drifting. Once with the skidsteer and twice with the tractor and 9 foot snowblower.

Winter, good times. :rolleyes:

Not too bad for us in the arctic wasteland known as Minnesota. However, I've blown out my driveway everyday for the last 3 days due to drifting. Once with the skidsteer and twice with the tractor and 9 foot snowblower.

Thats the problem, if we were equiped like you, it would be a breeze. Yesterday I got the pleasure of the poorly trained snow plow driver, push a 5 ft bank of straight ice in the front of my house. I am only equiped with a lightweight snow shovel! I had to leave the car out in the street, holding up traffic to clear the entrance. Of course the idiot drivers in DC decide to come down my street even after seeing me stuck. As they laid on the horn, it took all of me not to give them the finger, and start yelling. My back is screaming, "no more please".

Another 10 -17 inches expected today/tomorrow in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, on top of the 37 we got on Saturday. I don't know where the plow tucks are going to push the stuff. There's already four to five foot banks where they pushed the last snow with only one lane open.

I made friends with the plow operator by bringing him some "refreshments" to help him through. He's been kind enough to clear the end of my driveway when he passes now. :cool:
Told me on Sunday that he's burned through three different transmissions already.
Yep.. I'm holding off on all pictures until after tonights storm. My brother and his wife live in CT and have a few snowmobiles. They are pissed they haven't gotten a single thing from this storm. :)

Completely agree that they just aren't prepared for snow in the District. I'm on a major street in DC and I've seen a plow maybe 4 times in the past 3 days. They salt the hell out of the road and somehow thing thats enough. Then there are all of the native DCers that have never driven in snow. Its funny because as you go down the street, its like mad maxx where there are all these vehicles abandoned on the sides of the street. I miss the snow plows from Oswego/Rochester which had those huge V shaped plows as opposed to the tiny, "front of pickup trucks' models that they use here. G1

Yup, there aren't many out there equipped like me... :laugh:

You're right though. When cities don't have to deal with snows on a regular basis, of course they'll have a harder time when it does snow big.

Doesn't a 1" snowfall pretty much shut down places like Charlotte, NC and the like?

Good luck. Remember to lift with your legs, not your back. Pace yourself. No heart attacks.

It's a blizzard here in upper DE(Newark). It's wet so it's sticking to trees and power lines, which is amazing considering the gusting winds.

Shoveled some to get most of the slushy stuff up before it froze.

I now have my TENS unit on my back and a Oliva O Robusto in my hand. ;)

Steve

CA update: I just got back from skeet shooting in my t-shirt. The horrible part is I had to jump across an inch deep puddle of rain water from our storm!

Little ol' Stewartstown was one of the hardest hit areas. I lost phone and internet for about a day, have 5' drifts in my driveways and my road hasn't been plowed yet. The road I'm on is in a slight depression and is at least 5-6' deep all the way across as far as I can see. I'm not going anywhere until Monday.

Little ol' Stewartstown was one of the hardest hit areas. I lost phone and internet for about a day, have 5' drifts in my driveways and my road hasn't been plowed yet. The road I'm on is in a slight depression and is at least 5-6' deep all the way across as far as I can see. I'm not going anywhere until Monday.

Well it's not like you can't find anything to drink and smoke.

Maybe momma will give you pass to smoke in the house even if it isn't your b-day.

:laugh:

it's been out of control here in dc--the govt has been shut down for a week. i'm ready for some warm weather, a stiff drink and good smoke. come on spring!

Record snowfall here in North Texas. Nothing like what you guys have been experiencing, but remember, there are no snow plows or blowers around here.

We haven't seen snow like this in 30-40 years.

G-

BTW... I saw the strangest thing last night. A woman, in Lowe's, wearing a mink coat, buying a snow shovel. Weird. ???

A couple of pics , there is a road at the end of my driveway. That mound is over 6' tall
Back%20driveway.JPG

Snow surfing anyone? The wave is also over 5' tall!
snow%20surfing.JPG

Thats the problem, if we were equiped like you, it would be a breeze. Yesterday I got the pleasure of the poorly trained snow plow driver, push a 5 ft bank of straight ice in the front of my house. I am only equiped with a lightweight snow shovel! I had to leave the car out in the street, holding up traffic to clear the entrance. Of course the idiot drivers in DC decide to come down my street even after seeing me stuck. As they laid on the horn, it took all of me not to give them the finger, and start yelling. My back is screaming, "no more please".

They do that here, too. The trick is timing. You have to get out there before the plow comes by and clear an area before your driveway for the built up snow on the blade to fall off before it gets to you. It's easier here because we deal with it all the time (I haven't seen grass since November) but it's really the only way to avoid the big hump. Whatever you do, get that hump cleared as soon as you can. If it freezes you're screwed until it warms up enough to loosen it.

Good luck all you guys. We've got 50+ inches on the ground at my house right now. Just another winter here in the Northland.

A couple of pics , there is a road at the end of my driveway. That mound is over 6' tall
Back%20driveway.JPG

Snow surfing anyone? The wave is also over 5' tall!
snow%20surfing.JPG

That is crazy Ray! I know that is like a main road you live on right there. I cant believe it is untouched. As for Me I work for the Power company and as of this morning I put in 77 hours of OT since last Fri night. What a crazy ride its been.

To be fair that was taken yesterday late morning. They have one lane open now :0

This is down right embarrassing. I swept a dusting off my steps yesterday.
blush.gif
My plow bill was only $30. for the month of Jan. We're going to pay for this.
Doc.

I start shivering just looking at these photos. Luckily our snow stays in the mountains a half hour away where it belongs.

Thought i would add that last night I had to drive around Baltimore City and look for troubles on the system. All I can say is that it was unbelievable. The roads nearly untouched and there was absolutely no parking. I truly feel for anyone living or working in the city.