• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

65% beads reading 60%

mcoupe

Recently purchased a small aluminum humidifier (65%) from Heartfelt and after installation, my hygrometer is reading a constant 60%. Followed the directions and added 10cc of distilled water. Hygrometer has been recently calibrated and my DM 150 ct. humidor has a perfect seal. The previous humidifier has maintained a constant 65% for the few years I've owned it. There has been no change in the amount of cigars in the humidor and its almost full.

Any ideas on how to fix? Since I can't see the beads in the sealed humidifier, I wonder if others who might have this have had this problem. Can I just add more distilled water? What happens if I add too much?

I have a call into Heartfelt as well to see if they can help.

Thanks,
Larry

Put a shot glass w/ distilled water in your Humi. Once it gets to the % you want, take the shot glass out.

Saturate your beads. Don't worry about only adding 10cc, soak them. If there is insufficient moisture in the beads to bring RH up to 65%, it wont work. Its that simple.

Recently purchased a small aluminum humidifier (65%) from Heartfelt and after installation, my hygrometer is reading a constant 60%. Followed the directions and added 10cc of distilled water. Hygrometer has been recently calibrated and my DM 150 ct. humidor has a perfect seal. The previous humidifier has maintained a constant 65% for the few years I've owned it. There has been no change in the amount of cigars in the humidor and its almost full.

Any ideas on how to fix? Since I can't see the beads in the sealed humidifier, I wonder if others who might have this have had this problem. Can I just add more distilled water? What happens if I add too much?

Thanks,
Larry

If you add too much water to the beads you can run the risk of mold growing on them. Trust me, I know this for a fact! Do what Brandon suggested, just stick a shot glass with distilled water in there.

I'll try the shot glass method, thanks. I assume that acts like adding water to the humidiifer.

I'll try the shot glass method, thanks. I assume that acts like adding water to the humidiifer.

Either that or you can spritz the beads w/ distilled water. Don't saturate them or you'll run the risk of mold.

Just an FYI, many keep their humis at 60%.

Either that or you can spritz the beads w/ distilled water. Don't saturate them or you'll run the risk of mold.

Just an FYI, many keep their humis at 60%.

I keep forgetting about the ambient RH here in Denver. They dry so fast, you can almost watch the beads start to turn white. Mold is seldom a problem here.

Well, I spritzed the humidifier and put a shot glass of distilled water in the humi and kept is closed for 3 days. Reading will not get above 63%.

I wonder if it is possible that I got a 60% instead of a 65%. Not sure what else to do and still waiting to hear back from Heartfelt.

Thanks,
Larry

If you add too much water to the beads you can run the risk of mold growing on them. Trust me, I know this for a fact! Do what Brandon suggested, just stick a shot glass with distilled water in there.

really? Never heard of this happening. Are the beads shot or is there a fix?

Well, I spritzed the humidifier and put a shot glass of distilled water in the humi and kept is closed for 3 days. Reading will not get above 63%.

I wonder if it is possible that I got a 60% instead of a 65%. Not sure what else to do and still waiting to hear back from Heartfelt.

Are you sure your hygrometer is reading accurately, didn't see anything about that in your post. Is it a digital? How's the seal on the humi?

Are you sure your hygrometer is reading accurately, didn't see anything about that in your post. Is it a digital? How's the seal on the humi?

X2! May want to look at the hygrometer.

Digital hygrometer was recently calibrated and it was reading 65% with my old humidifier. Humidor is a Daniel Marshall with an awesome seal.

The little people that inhabit the magic beads are slacking.