• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A local school board has decided with their infinite wisdom.......

punk_lawyer said:

....Sounds like what they are doing is really scummy but in most situations like this the only people that will ultimately win are the lawyers....

Indeed...in an ideal world that is what happens every time.

Jim, I'd probably focus my attack on the publisher rather than the school district.  The school district likely has immunity from a number of liability avenues but the publisher would not have that kind of protection.  If I had the case, I would be burning up the publisher.  By burning up, I would ask for meetings face to face and then require phone calls to the Superintendent and School Board Members during the meetings.  Filing a suit costs money...maybe too much money depending on the amount of lost revenue...but I would not hesitate to have a lawyer draft the complaint and have that circulated to everyone with the notice that the suit will be filed in ___ days if you are not given attention.

Great advice.  Maybe that's why I'm a schlub, and your a lawyer.  :laugh:

broblues said:

....Sounds like what they are doing is really scummy but in most situations like this the only people that will ultimately win are the lawyers....

Jim, I'd probably focus my attack on the publisher rather than the school district.  The school district likely has immunity from a number of liability avenues but the publisher would not have that kind of protection.  If I had the case, I would be burning up the publisher.  By burning up, I would ask for meetings face to face and then require phone calls to the Superintendent and School Board Members during the meetings.  Filing a suit costs money...maybe too much money depending on the amount of lost revenue...but I would not hesitate to have a lawyer draft the complaint and have that circulated to everyone with the notice that the suit will be filed in ___ days if you are not given attention.

Schlub? Is that someone whose grammar needs work?

Doc

Devil Doc said:

Schlub? Is that someone whose grammar needs work?

Doc

Too much stress!!!!   I guess "game on".  ;)

Stress? Stress is when a nun is holding a pointer over your head, while you're trying to diagram a complex sentence. ???

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Stress? Stress is when a nun is holding a pointer over your head, while you're trying to diagram a complex sentence. ???

Doc

...and knowing the shot you're going to take as you have no idea HOW to diagram that sentence! 

But you will, and you'll never, ever forget. :laugh: 

Doc

Update - the newspaper never put the article in.  I was told they interviewed the parties involved and when they submitted it,  a senior editor refused to allow it to be printed. He said that it was their right (school board) to refuse to accept any advertiser

Awhile back I received a call from the publisher telling me that due to the shit storm I had caused, the school board was pulling out of the publication and that they could run my ad again.

Today I received proof - my ad is back in and there is no mention of the school board at all in the publication.

Devil Doc said:
I absolutely despise school boards and the people on them. In my city, here in NH. they have way too much power and abuse it regularly. People simply don't pay attention when they go to vote.

Doc
It's the same here. Apparently the schools actually feel that they can dictate actual laws and what ones they like and don't like. It's been a huge issue with lawsuits.

Great news Jim.  That was probably just the first volley.  Hang in there buddy!

It never ceases to amaze me what we have to go through these days just to get a fair shake...

How much biz do you think you get from the ad?

Nice win- got to agree with Old Iron Side- business is not for people who want to give up easy.

Nice job.

And maybe I missed this ealier, but why in the heck is a school board advertising to begin with ? And how does one advertiser gain editorial control over other advertisers ?

I have never understood why the US Post Office advertises or sponsor cycling teams. Did I ever have a choice when I wanted to mail a first class letter ?

Cparker