• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

a perfect start to

mitchshrader

Because, it's not a SINGLE malt, so I can call it a practice swing.. :blush:

Johnny Walker Gold.. a new one on me. In my quest for richer and tastier booze, I've skipped over the premium blends while chasing the more unusual flavors.. so when I was offered a trade, I couldn't pass up the chance.

The bottle is the traditional square, simple JW bottle that we've seen in every scotch bar.. with a slightly fancier label. It would pass for JW Black in new packaging.. they carefully don't use the word 'grain' anywhere, and put the age (18 years) in very large letters. I'd *guess* this is a mix of aged grain whisky and singlemalt, at about 1 to 2 ratio.. the scotch tastes are paramount, but diluted.

The color is a bit lighter, and more amber than the black.. and the taste is a LOT less emphatic. A mild flavor of smoke, clean and the faintest sweetness.. there's no need for ice or water, this is gentlemans booze..

the nose isn't much. a touch of toffee, a soft hint of pear, some faint flowery notes.. a thin soft edge of wood in the background, very light charred oak.. if this whisky has one main characteristic it's manners. It'd be entirely suitable to pour for a priest or your mom, no uncouth edges to offend the sensitive..

On the palate it is incredibly soft, mouthfilling without demanding your attention.. the oak and smoke and not QUITE sweet are perfectly balanced.. the finish is tasty but short, and it goes down FAST.. don't sit around with a full bottle and expect it to last..

Considering this is a blend.. and considering it's 80 proof, and considering I'll likely never pay cash money for it..

It don't make me mad at all. Good booze. On my personal scale, I'd give it an 86, right along with Balvenie 15 yr single cask.. and it's absolutely perfect for guests. Good enough to be friendly, cheap enough to be affordable, and easy to swallow. Summer scotch.. :thumbs:

me too. :) I wanted to see how close we got in our overall impressions. I didn't get roses, I got ripe pear and wild flowers.. but not That different.. it sure drinks easy.