• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aberlour a'bunadh

:whistling: If you'll just pour em into him, Mr. Peat, I think we'll keep sending you ammunition. :laugh:

It makes him feel generous. ;)

This is one of my top 2-3 favorites, first tried it on a trip to the motherland (Scotland) & have been hooked ever since.

Skip

Fire.

Fire and rich, deep spice notes along the top of the palate and the sides of the tongue.

Then a long, sweet sherried finish with a ghost of smoky spice at the back of the throat.

Amazing Scotch. I have found my single malt nirvana!

I bought a bottle of this tonight--21st bottling, 59.5% alcohol--on AVB's recommendation and I have to say, I have found MY Scotch. This is the most amazing single malt I've tasted to date.
Highly recommended. :thumbs:

I started neat, then added an ice cube or three. Ended up drinking it with rocks and just a splash, and it's intense enough that the dilution turned out to be a plus.

This is to Scotch what George T. Stagg is to bourbon---powerful, intense, complex, and exquisite. Wonderful.

~Boar

I believe the a'bunadh is the best of the line. I still have a bottle from batch 11 that I purchased in early 2004 but it is almost gone ??? I recently picked up a bottle of the 12 y.o double cask matured. Is was not as good as I hoped. It has to much of a sherry taste, I am not a big fan of overly sherried whisky's. About the only sherried whisky I like is The Balvenie Double wood. I tend to stick with stuff that spent its whole life maturing in a bourbon barrel. If I was good at reviews I would do one, but I am not so I won't :rolleyes: . AVB are you ever going to get around to reviewing this?? I would like to know you and others think of it. Maybe I am just crazy and it is good whisky "it came highly recommended to me". but I just don't care for it.

See post #1 in this thread. :whistling:

I believe the a'bunadh is the best of the line...... AVB are you ever going to get around to reviewing this?? I would like to know you and others think of it. Maybe I am just crazy and it is good whisky "it came highly recommended to me". but I just don't care for it.

Oops I wasn't clear I mean when are you going to review the 12 y.o. double cask matured . I have read the review on the a'bunadh and it was good. It's weird the 12 y.o has a even more of a sherried taste atleast it does to me. I call it a sherry bomb!! I was told that the a'bunadh was heavily sherried and it some what is "I see you noticed that to" but not as much as the 12 y.o DCM. It is also possible that I got a bad bottling of the 12 y.o. as it is my first bottle ever purchased. I do not have a reference point to as what it should taste like. maybe I will try to find it in a bar and give a different bottling a taste.

I don't know if I ever will. I can't buy everything and my focus lately is on some of the more hard to find items.

Oops I wasn't clear I mean when are you going to review the 12 y.o. double cask matured . I have read the review on the a'bunadh and it was good. It's weird the 12 y.o has a even more of a sherried taste atleast it does to me. I call it a sherry bomb!! I was told that the a'bunadh was heavily sherried and it some what is "I see you noticed that to" but not as much as the 12 y.o DCM. It is also possible that I got a bad bottling of the 12 y.o. as it is my first bottle ever purchased. I do not have a reference point to as what it should taste like. maybe I will try to find it in a bar and give a different bottling a taste.

Just picked up a bottle of this from run #21 and had a dram last night. All I can say is WOW! Easily one of my favorites now, dare I say I like it better than my favored Glenfiddich Havana Reserve.

Funny to see this posted as I was thinking of picking up a bottle.

Stopped in to pick up a wine order and decided to browse the liquor selection while waiting for the cases to come out. I remembered this getting great reviews from Ray and others; so, I took the only bottle they had. Paid $61 which I thought was a good deal. This one is also batch 21.

It just so happens that i picked up a bottle of the Aberlour 12 tonight. I had a glass (and I mean a glass!) of it the other night. Overwhelmed by how good it was I just had to get a bottle of it. 

I'll post a review tomorrow.

I don't know if I ever will.  I can't buy everything and my focus lately is on some of the more hard to find items.

Oops I wasn't clear I mean when are you going to review the 12 y.o. double cask matured .  I have read the review on the a'bunadh and it was good.  It's weird the 12 y.o has a even more of a sherried  taste atleast it does to me.  I call it a sherry bomb!!  I was told that the a'bunadh was heavily sherried and it some what is "I see you noticed that to"  but not as much as the 12 y.o DCM.  It is also possible that I got a bad bottling of the 12 y.o. as it is my first bottle ever purchased.   I do not have a reference point to as what it should taste like. maybe I will try to find it in a bar and give a different bottling a taste.

Finally picked up a bottle of this, hopefully I'll get around to trying it out this year.

Just a slight bump here.

I've taken quite a liking to the A'bunadh ever since I  tried some at a buddy's house earlier this year.   It has replaced Talisker 18 as my favorite.

I'm working on the first of two bottles of batch #36, 2011, 60.1 % ABV.  A half glass with 3 ice cubes is a perfect drink for me.  I have not found it to be too overpowering to smoke a cigar while drinking.

Quite a bump indeed !

This is indeed a great bottle to have in the stash. Imo it will never replace the talikser 18 as it is in my top 2 ever . But Ill be glad to releive you your stock ;-)

Joke aside you have plenty of the 18 available in neck of the woods ?

louich said:
Quite a bump indeed !

This is indeed a great bottle to have in the stash. Imo it will never replace the talikser 18 as it is in my top 2 ever . But Ill be glad to releive you your stock ;-)

Joke aside you have plenty of the 18 available in neck of the woods ?

No.  I'm down to my last half a bottle of the 18.  The local distributor has not received any in over a year and does not expect to get any in the near future.  They have plenty of the 10 which is just ok in my opinion and the Distillers version which is terrible in my opinion.

Well the distillers, depending on the price is a nice version of the dram but nothing like the 18 indeed.

I have seen some Talisker 18 floating around here and there.. but the price has gone up dramatically.  Nowadays I have seen it for no lower than about $110, I believe... and that may be be lower than what it was.  All I know is that it used to be around $80 a btl, but the new batch has jumped up dramatically.  K&L pointed that out in one of there blogs, and I saw that reflected in the liquor stores.. so I knew it was probably true.  Basically it seems that anything those scumbags at Diageo own, their prices are gettign jacked up.

If anyone is in need of any of the 18 though, I might be able to help..

Steve

Oh lemme pay some taxes and my licence and well have to talk my friend ! :)