• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Absinthe?

Had it once while up in Canada...its bitter, even when sprinkled over a sugar cube into a glass of water like its designed to be drinked...didnt get any weird side effects like its advertised to do either...

For the money it costs for the stuff, ill pass!

Ah, good, true Absinthe is stuff of Beauty. 100/mg stuff is the way to go. Be careful though. Between the alochol and the wormwood, that is some potent poison one is ingesting. Done right, it can make for a wonderful, magical night. Done wrong, one can be a sad, sad boy.

Is this stuff still made commercially anywhere or is it just "home-brewed"? I've never had it, but read about it a while back. Really interesting but I'd be a little hesitant to try any hommade stuff. This might be like asking for an ISOM source, but....where the hell do you get it?!

Over seas. France. There are a lot of places to purchase Absinthe. If you would like to get educated on it. go to www.wormwoodsociety.org
There is faq plus forums for you to read.

Insane....well it is rumored it is the cause for VanGough cutting his own ear off so I am going with a yes on that one :)

As for finding it you can buy the base stuff even at liquor stores in the states but of course there is no wormwood distilled into it so it it just really bad kool-aid. As for woormwood that can be purchased from most new age stores as a standard herb. How you combine the two is a secret :p oh yeah and it is illegal in the states :sign:

Espana has some really good sources of this mainly French made elixir ---and not all of Absinthe sold today comes from the old style processing of the worm wood that releases the "green goddess" when the Absinthe hits the water after dripping over the sugar cube. Some of the stuff sold today is just plain nasty... The genuine article that caused a panic and crazy claims that drinking it would bring on insanity or worse and caused the drink to be banned in the US is still made and is still pretty easily available with just a little searching...

First off all true Absinthe does have Thujon in it. This is the psychoactive drug found in wormwood and other plants of that nature.

Not all absinthe turns "louche" (milky white) when water is added, this has nothing to do with the Thujon or Wormwood this has to do that some absinthe doesn't have much Anise in it.

There are also "classic absinthes" and "distilled absinthes" the difference is the one is herbal extracts steeped in grain alcohol and the other is alcohol is distilled from the extracts.

The classic style is pretty nasty compared to distilled and I suggest you avoid it like the plague.

One should also not buy absinthe by only looking at the Thujon content. A lot of the ones with an extremely high Thujon level are almost undrinkable.

Also you should decide which absinthe to buy on whether you like anise or licorice, if you hate black licorice then you need to find one that doesn't contain anise or licorice in it.

I recommend the following for people who like licorice,

Logan Fils from Switzerland

and for those who dislike licorice,

La Fee Bohemian Absinthe (it has anise, most absinthe does, but a very small amount that its barely noticeable.)

Hi,

I drink absinth. It is legal here, like habanos.

IMG_0074low.jpg

I find it a refreshing drink. Makes you sleep well too. :)

Here is my favourite brand. I have tried four different brands over the last few months.

Enjoy

I also drink La Fee :thumbs: but I drink the Bohemian and not the Parisian. I like licorice, but burned myself out on Ouzo and Sambuca back in the 80s and don't like it in my alcohol anymore. :)

Insane....well it is rumored it is the cause for VanGough cutting his own ear off so I am going with a yes on that one

I read once that the reason absinthe was thought to cause insanity is that the liquid many used to disolve the sugar was laudanum, an opiate popular during victorian Europe. Apparently, the mix of strong drink and the predessesor to heroin was a bad combo. ;)

n

please read http://www.feeverte.net/faq-absinthe.html#B

most of what people 'know' about absinthe is bunk.

it's not going to make you trip, it's not going to make you crazy, and thujone does NOT have 'psychoactive' qualities.

and mcavoyd's link: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/is also a great resource.

it HAS to have anise in it to be Absinthe.

hard & fast rules:

almost all 'absinth's (notice the lack of E on the end)from the Czech republic are not anything close to Absinthe and are generally undrinkable. (unless you will drink rubbing alcohol)

almost all 'absinth's from spain are 'oil mixes', which usually are drinkable, but not that good.

adding herbs to high proof vodka, or wormwood to pastis(pernod, ricard or absente can be purchased from your local liquor store...they are known as "Pastis" and are Absinthe substitutes) will NOT make absinthe.

simply adding crap to other crap and letting it steep does nothing but make undrinkable swill.

think about it this way: if you take water, corn, malt & rye and steep it in a jar, do you have BOURBON?

no. you need to DISTILL it.

same with Absinthe.

oh, and DON'T set it on fire. (unless you're drinking that czech crap...that DESERVES to be set on fire).

Cheers!

"One should also not buy absinthe by only looking at the Thujon content. A lot of the ones with an extremely high Thujon level are almost undrinkable."

This man knows what he's talking about.

I ordered a bottle online maybe a year ago. I bucked up and bought the bottle with the highest thujone content that I could find. The stuff is seriously disgusting. I can't drink it as it is supposed to be drank. I think the only way I can get it down my throat is to take shots of it. No amount of sugar, water, mountain dew or mixer can make that stuff taste good. I thought about selling it or offering to trade for cigars on here, but one day I may give it a shot again.

celt said:
please read http://www.feeverte.net/faq-absinthe.html#B

most of what people 'know' about absinthe is bunk.

it's not going to make you trip, it's not going to make you crazy, and thujone does NOT have 'psychoactive' qualities.

and mcavoyd's link: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/is also a great resource.

it HAS to have anise in it to be Absinthe.

hard & fast rules:

almost all 'absinth's (notice the lack of E on the end)from the Czech republic are not anything close to Absinthe and are generally undrinkable. (unless you will drink rubbing alcohol)

almost all 'absinth's from spain are 'oil mixes', which usually are drinkable, but not that good.

adding herbs to high proof vodka, or wormwood to pastis(pernod, ricard or absente can be purchased from your local liquor store...they are known as "Pastis" and are Absinthe substitutes) will NOT make absinthe.

simply adding crap to other crap and letting it steep does nothing but make undrinkable swill.

think about it this way: if you take water, corn, malt & rye and steep it in a jar, do you have BOURBON?

no. you need to DISTILL it.

same with Absinthe.

oh, and DON'T set it on fire. (unless you're drinking that Czech crap...that DESERVES to be set on fire).

Cheers!
[snapback]289362[/snapback]​

I respectfully disagree with you on a few of your points. :)

Thujone does have some 'psychoactive' properties, though much of this is a psychological effect only.

The Czech absinthe is as good as all the other European ones, it all depends on the brand, the lack of the 'e' is only a spelling difference.

And *edit* "it HAS to have anise in it to be Absinthe." there are recognized absinthes without anise, but since you hate the "Czech" variety I understand your statement.

I should be able to get the LA FEE PARISIEN 45 and 68% versions if you folks can get 6 people who want some. Prices would be about $72 and $83 each delivered.

It's the only absinthe endorsed by Marie-Claude Delahaye, founder & curator of the Absinthe Museum in France.

Wurm said:
I respectfully disagree with you on a few of your points. :)

Thujone does have some 'psychoactive' properties, though much of this is a psychological effect only.

The Czech absinthe is as good as all the other European ones, it all depends on the brand, the lack of the 'e' is only a spelling difference.

And *edit* "it HAS to have anise in it to be Absinthe." there are recognized absinthes without anise, but since you hate the "Czech" variety I understand your statement.
[snapback]289376[/snapback]​

you can respecfully disagree all you like.

did you read the links that i provided? if you DID and are still disagreeing, then you are saying that you are more of an 'expert' than some of the most important people in the absinthe community.

yes, you can claim that Czech absinth is as good as all the other European ones. tastes is definitely subjective. you could also make the claim that Phillie Blunts are as good as Fuentes, or that Mad Dog 2/20 is as good as Dom Perignon. but people who know more about cigars and wine might disagree on many different levels. the links provided contain faqs from the most knowledgeable people in the absinthe community.

the thujone myth has been debunked for awhile now. but people don't want to believe the truth. they want to believe that they're gonna trip balz and see green fairies and the wallpaper dripping. they want to believe that it was thujone which made Van Gogh cut his ear off...not the fact that he used to drink paint thinner and also lick the end of his lead-based paintbrushes and was mentally ill.

people buy into the myth because they WANT it to be true.
it's much more romantic than the truth.

will absinthe get you drunk? of course it will.
will you feel different drinking absinthe than you would drinking gin? yes.
will you feel different drinking wine than you would drinking everclear? YES.

much like single malt scotch drinkers, real absinteurs drink absinthe for the TASTE.

the lack of E is NOT the only difference between proper European Absinthes
(certain French and Swiss Absinthes) and Czech absinthes.

that's like saying that the only difference between a Rolex and a Timex is 3 letters.

the Czechs are not interested in making a 'good' absinthe. they are interested in seperating fools from their money.

if you have actually had true distilled absinthe, made the correct way, and then were served Hills or La Fee Bohemian, you most likely would not think that they were as good as the 'true' absinthe. i suppose that if you prefer harsh, medicinal windex-tasting cocktails over the actual traditionally made absinthes you would disagree.

the Czechs have only been making absinthe since the early 1990s. and they don't use the traditional recipes.

it's like if Budweiser put "Bud Light Belgian LambiK" on a Bud Light bottle.

a Belgian Lambic comes from a different region, has different ingredients and is made differently.

please name one commercially made AbsinthE that does not contain anise?

hey, i can take grain alcohol and dump in some essential oils purchased from a hippie store, and SAY it's absinthe.

and I can even market it to gullible people.

that does not mean that my product actually IS absinthe.

on the same token, i can take some Skoal and put it in a blunt wrapper and tell some moron that it's a cuban cigar.

just because someone believes me and buys it does not make it true.

Back