• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

acceptable assembly materials

hornetguy

Has anyone used silicone caulk to attach cedar to the side of a cooler, or refrigerator?
I know that silicone has oils in it, but once it's cured, it should be ok, right? I'm not sure if the oil would bleed through the cedar before it cured, or not.
Other than some kind of adhesive, I'm sortof at a loss for how to line the walls of either the fridge or a cooler.
and, I did a search for "silicone" and "silicone caulk" and came up with nada.
I suppose the BEST way to find out is just to try it on a small piece and see what happens.
Any thoughts?

A couple of other choices....Gorilla Glue. It's gap filling.

You can stick anything to anything with Great Stuff. I've "glued" all kinds of stuff together with it. It doesn't absorb moisture either. I made a grapefruit-sized ball of it and kept it submerged in a bucket of water for over a year. When I cut it in 1/2, it was dry as a bone inside. Be sure to brace the pieces well, it takes a while to harden and can exert quit a bit of pressure while it hardens and expands.

Whatever you use, it may outgas for a while. Probably a good idea to let the thing air out until you don't smell anything but cedar.

Good luck. Post some pictures!

Cheers,
Joe

I used industrial strenth velcro. I attached cedar planks inside a coolerdor and also my hygrometer. This way you can remove it to clean inside.

I wouldn't use glue or any other chemical inside. Lots of threads covered this subject. Do a search to see what others say.

I like the velcro idea, but, ultimately, any of these things have SOME type of adhesive properties. I've never heard of Great Stuff, but I'll check into it. I mainly want to stay away from stuff that has solvents in it. I know silicone creates acetic acid when it is curing, and I'm a little concerned those vinegar-like fumes might permeate the cedar. Now THAT would make a good cigar, wouldn't it? Kosher dill Fuentes.... :rolleyes:

Shibumi said:
I used industrial strenth velcro. I attached cedar planks inside a coolerdor and also my hygrometer. This way you can remove it to clean inside.

I wouldn't use glue or any other chemical inside. Lots of threads covered this subject. Do a search to see what others say.
[snapback]250626[/snapback]​
...agree. Also, the double sided foam adhesive tape or pads you can find mght be a reasonable choice. I would NOT use any silicones as the acetic acid they outgas would be pretty powerful in an enclosed environment.

Or, you could do what I did. I hit the local cigar stores and got a bunch of unvarnished boxes. The cigars go in the boxes, which go in the cooler. No glue required.... :cool:

Good Luck - B.B.S.

BlindedByScience said:
Shibumi said:

...agree. Also, the double sided foam adhesive tape or pads you can find mght be a reasonable choice. I would NOT use any silicones as the acetic acid they outgas would be pretty powerful in an enclosed environment.

Or, you could do what I did. I hit the local cigar stores and got a bunch of unvarnished boxes. The cigars go in the boxes, which go in the cooler. No glue required.... :cool:

Good Luck - B.B.S.
[snapback]250667[/snapback]​
the industrial velcro works well, as there are no fumes released by the ashesive, available at your local home depot for around 8 bucks for 6 feet. BBS has the best one though.

Rob_k said:
BlindedByScience said:
Shibumi said:
I used industrial strenth velcro.  I attached cedar planks inside a coolerdor and also my hygrometer.  This way you can remove it to clean inside.

I wouldn't use glue or any other chemical inside.  Lots of threads covered this subject.  Do a search to see what others say.

Good Luck - B.B.S.
[snapback]250667[/snapback]​
the industrial velcro works well, as there are no fumes released by the ashesive, available at your local home depot for around 8 bucks for 6 feet. BBS has the best one though.
[snapback]250685[/snapback]​

Agreed. That might just be the best idea yet.