• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Affordable Rye?

classyndry

on injured reserve
I have a lot of friends that can drink a lot of booze. When I have larger parties, I like to get decent, but cheaper stuff since its often wasted, sometimes mixed, and not always appreciated. For bourbon, I love the price and quality of Evan Williams 1783, and Virginia Gentleman (I think this is more an emotional than rational choice, but it is very drinkable alone, and great as a mixer). I've linked to a review from our very own AVB about the EW 1783 below, and not surprisingly, few share my love of VG that I could find online.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=38209

When it comes to rye, I'm a bit lost. I like Templeton, but its quite expensive. Old Overholt is OK, but I don't find it spectacular. Anybody know of anything I've overlooked? My price range is flexible, but really I'd be happiest with lower end prices like under $20 per 750 at a minimum.

The only Rye I would buy below $30 is Sazerac 6yr which is excellent. Searching my local's online inventory I see a few others I've never tried like Jim Beam or Wild Turkey Rye in the price range you're looking for. There's another called "RI 1" that just came out a few years ago and is priced around $22. Never had that one but there was a discussion here about it when it first hit the shelves...

Jim Beam Rye might fit your bill. It's a half step above Old Busthead.

Doc.

I'd second Doc. R1 is pretty good, but I've never found it for $22 anywhere. I'd drink a lot more if I could. Redemption Rye isn't terrible, but if your friends don't have the most refined tastes I don't think they'll mind. I think Binny's carries it. They used to carry Hirsch Selection 8 Year Old Canadian Rye but I haven't seen it in a while. It is definitely drinkable and won't set you back more than $25.

Wild Turkey is my favorite and only $22/750ml. But Jim Beam ain't bad at $13, either.

I haven't tried the Wild Turkey yet. I'll check that out first. I'll retry the Beam too. I bought some R1 once for a friend. Haven't tried it, and I think it cost me about $40.

I haven't tried the Wild Turkey yet. I'll check that out first. I'll retry the Beam too. I bought some R1 once for a friend. Haven't tried it, and I think it cost me about $40.

If you're willing to spend $40/bottle, you ought to be looking out for Templeton's. Binny's carries it (if the shelves are not cleared). I've had a fair amount of success picking off bottles here and there, if I diligently look out for it and the store hadn't been raided. It's somewhere around $30-35/bottle when I find it. Damned good Rye for the money...

If you're willing to spend $40/bottle, you ought to be looking out for Templeton's. Binny's carries it (if the shelves are not cleared). I've had a fair amount of success picking off bottles here and there, if I diligently look out for it and the store hadn't been raided. It's somewhere around $30-35/bottle when I find it. Damned good Rye for the money...

Now isn't that a coincidence. A 1/2 gal of grade A medium amber maple syrup cost about the same.

Doc.

Isn't weller rye?

Not that I am aware. W L Weller is a wheated bourbon, though the distiller might have at one time or another made rye.

Edit to add:
Weller is made by Buffalo Trace, who also makes Sazerac Rye and Thomas H Handy Rye.

Rittenhouse is the best under $20 with Sazerac 6 and the Russell's Reserve Rye next up the price ladder. IMO, of course.

Most of the Rye on the list may be found for ~ $25, or less.
Exceptions are the Van Winkle Rye and Jefferson's Reserve Rye

Jefferson's Reserve Rye 10 year old
Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye ( watch for the Fall release of the Van Winkle Bourbon and Rye in the next few weeks, Hope to see it in time for the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in mid September )

Wild Turkey Rye
Sazarac ( Baby Saz 6 yr old )
Beam Rye
Old Overholt
Pikeville Rye 100 proof
Stephen Foster ( Pikeville under another name from Heaven Hill and not released for several years )
Fleishman's Rye ( Barton distributed in northern Wisconsin only )
Wasmund's Rye Spirit ( 124 proof, unaged, 2/3 Rye and 1/3 Malted Barley, now turning up in closeouts for $10 / 750 to $20)

The Wasmund's Rye Spirit is a clear unaged spirit that you could try aging with some charred white oak chips in a glass 1,75 L bottle, If you wish to experiment and esxperience the effects of aging you could add chips and sample each week as the spirit, mellows takes on color and flavors that the wood imparts.

A number of smaller Canadian distilleries make Rye flavoring whiskey for the large Canadian Whiskey brands.
Dusty bottles of Gooterman and Wor'ts, Forty Creek and several other brands are still available in local stores in this area.

Ommissions:
Russell's Reserve 10 year old Rye 101 proof - try to locate one of the old bottles of 101 proof
Beam's R1 Rye
Willett's Vintage Rye
Whistle Pig
Sazarac- 90 proof - Bufflo Trace Antique Collection ~ $70 and released late October
Thomas H. Handy - Barrel Proof unchuill filtered - Bufflo Trace Antique Collection - $70 and released in late October
Numerous botique brands are turning up that are usually sourced from LDI.
Craft Distilleries are turning out some interesting Rye although usually offered in the higher price range.

I've been trying to get some Fleishman's Rye for years with no luck. Most that do advertise it end up having only their blended whiskey which I can do without.

Back