• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

After the humi is seasoned..

cigarlover

Hi all,
How many times should I be wiping down my cedar trays with distilled soaked sponge in my humi. I did it only once while I seasoned my humi 3 weeks ago. Is this something I do once or twice a week?

Thanks

You should be fine with only doing that when you first season the humidor.

You don't want to be wetting down the insides of your humidor all of the time because you don't want any of the moisture left on the surface bleeding into your cigars.

You also don't want to have to leave your cigars outside of the humidor while waiting for the inside to dry.

In my mind wiping down the inside is how you kickstart a new humidor so that it will acclimate to whatever humidity you are aiming for quicker. Rather than the wood having to absorb a bunch of humidity from the air inside the humidor you wipe it down so that step happens quicker.

my opinion is NEVER... you never wipe down spanish cedar. Put a cup of water in there for 2-3 days, then put in your beads and wait til the RH goes to between 65 and 70.

my opinion is NEVER... you never wipe down spanish cedar. Put a cup of water in there for 2-3 days, then put in your beads and wait til the RH goes to between 65 and 70.

I agree with not wiping it down. I recommend putting a bowl of water in your closed humidor for a week to properly season it.

Then put your RH Beads[\url] in and wait for the RH to settle in.

Then SLOWLY add smokes. Putting in a bunch of cigars at once can quickly cause RH spikes or lows.

Hope this helps
~Mark

Yeh, wiping down is only if you don't have patience. Just as Cartman should have waited for the Wii, so too should cigar smokers just chill out and wait for their humidors to come around.

...right answer. I use two or three shot glasses with distilled water so I can put 'em around the humi. May or may not make a difference but it's always worked for me.... :cool: The water will season the humi and the beads at the same time. If you're running Viper's 65% beads, when the humidity gets to 68-ish% and stays there for a couple of days, you can remove the water. This will take some time; several days, at least. Be patient...

Oh, and salt test your hygrometer so you know you have a good reference. Not uncommon for them to be off several points.

Good luck - B.B.S.

After using the search function; is the reason for not wiping down your humidor to prevent warping and possibly compromising the seal? I wouldn't think wiping would cause any problems unless you go overboard and soak the wood or if your humidor was previously warehoused in a desert oven before purchase. I wiped down my humi when seasoning and thinking back probably got it way too wet, luckily things worked out. However, I wouldn't hesitate to wipe future humidors in a more gentle fashion. Unless that is, there's another reason not to I didn't find in my search?

i would never wipe down the wood...just place a sponge on some plastic wrap and soak the sponge in distilled water and put that in the humi and close it for a week, you should be ok after that.
oh and get vipers beads from heartfeltindustries.com, they are idiot proof and easy to maintain.

never wipe it down, mold can ensue if it gets too moist..

I wiped mine down with a slightly damp new sponge that I first boiled in distilled water. You're just getting the wood a bit damp. Like someone before said, a kickstart. It didn't raise the grain, it didn't warp the box, I didn't get mold in a week. Things were just fine. Now, you soak that wood with tap water and its a different story.

If you want to be safe and can take the time, just use distilled water in the shot glass.

Here's a link to how cigar afficionado says to season one, which is wipe
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Ar...322,449,00.html but we all know how FOS they are.

Here's what cheap humidors says:
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchant2/mer...een=howto_setup no wipe.

During the seasoning process, do I add the beads into the humi with the 2-3 shot glasses? Or do I add those once the shot glasses of distilled water has risen the humidity to approx. 68%?

I am using 65% beads. Thanks for your help.

You should prep your beads and add them with the shot glasses of water. The shots are just to get things moving along quicker. Actually, once the beads are in the humi will stabilize by itself but it will take longer.