• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aged cigars are better!

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
Seems obvious, right? But when I joined this board over 5 years ago, I spent a long time secretly doubting this wisdom. Then, the other day, I pulled out a Jose Padilla robusto from the cooler, first cigar I'd had in over 2 years and about 4 years old, as I recall.
What a revelation!! It had always been a good smoke, but this was something different. Then, today, I lit up a Jose Piedra of about the same age. These sticks had been a good buy, but they failed to impress. Now, even burning, smooth, flavorful, easy draw; made me wish I'd bought 5 bundles!
So, when you read someone's recommendation to buy 2 boxes of what you like, one to smoke now, one to put away, you can take it to the bank! Aging makes a world of difference.
(Back to lurking until I have another obvious idea to write about.)

So, when you read someone's recommendation to buy 2 boxes of what you like, one to smoke now, one to put away, you can take it to the bank! Aging makes a world of difference.

You speak the gospel my friend.
I always try to let new box purchases sit for at least a six months and hopefully at least a year before smoking.

this man speaks the truth. i keep kicking my self for only getting one box of franks. im going to want to smoke them all before they have aged.

Amen brotha. Although for NC's I haven't noticed much difference until you get into the 5 year + range. And that takes some self control my man lol.

I've had the great good fortune of having been given a selection of well-aged NC cigars to sample. I've begun smoking through them and will post reviews when I have a bunch done. I will say that, as with Cuban cigars, some weather the years better than others.

As for buying 2 or 3 boxes of your faves... :thumbs:

Wilkey

While I somewhat agree with you, this is also subjective and depends upon the smoker as well as the cigar. If you love a heavy blast of pepper in your smokes then smoke them young. Also I read a thread on this board where someone met Don Pepin who told him not to age his smokes because they were best smoked (and ready to go) right away...

While I somewhat agree with you, this is also subjective and depends upon the smoker as well as the cigar. If you love a heavy blast of pepper in your smokes then smoke them young...
I agree. I've also found that aged cigars require a different technique. Because they have mellowed out somewhat, you can nose smoke them much more readily. I will say that while the raw pepper blast might be tamed, if there is strength in the stick, the strength will still be there for the most part even after 7 or 8 years.

Wilkey

While I somewhat agree with you, this is also subjective and depends upon the smoker as well as the cigar. If you love a heavy blast of pepper in your smokes then smoke them young. Also I read a thread on this board where someone met Don Pepin who told him not to age his smokes because they were best smoked (and ready to go) right away...

After speaking with Don Pepin I would say that the "smoke now" response was in response to the old quasi wives' tale about aging Cubans for 2 years automatically because so many people compare his sticks to Cubans & he used to be the Maestro for Cuba. :)
Agreed that many stogies do improve with age, unfortunately my willpower has not improved with age and there are less & less aged sticks in The Tower of Power. ;)

If you love a heavy blast of pepper in your smokes then smoke them young.

Agree with this too!
I have recent experience with Rocky Patel Sungrowns where they are really spicy when fresh and even with limited aging of 6-9 months they have lost the edge that made them so great when I first smoked them. I also found that the tangy aspect of Cuaba Exlusivos gets lost with limited aging.

Amen brotha. Although for NC's I haven't noticed much difference until you get into the 5 year + range. And that takes some self control my man lol.

"NCs" are no different than Cuban cigars. Everything that applies to aging applies equally across the board, there's nothing magical or special about tobacco from Cuba.

I haven't had a bunch of aged cigars, but I tend to prefer them young based upon the few I have smoked. Young(er) cigars seem to have more flavor and strength, which is what I like. I probably just can't appreciate the mellowed out flavors of a well aged cigar. :)

The only smoke I've had with some age on it that I wasn't happy with was a CAO Brazillia from 05, had really lost a lot over the fresh ones.

I haven't had a bunch of aged cigars, but I tend to prefer them young based upon the few I have smoked. Young(er) cigars seem to have more flavor and strength, which is what I like. I probably just can't appreciate the mellowed out flavors of a well aged cigar. :)

You hit the nail on the head. Aging cigars doesn't necessarily make them taste better... it depends on your personal taste, the tobacco in question, how it was cured/fermented, what the blend is like, and many other variables.

In general, I enjoy the taste of cigars with some age on them... but some cigars really do taste better to me fresh. Like many things involving taste, the answer really is... "it depends"

"NCs" are no different than Cuban cigars. Everything that applies to aging applies equally across the board, there's nothing magical or special about tobacco from Cuba.

But I heard they put weed in them seegars from cuba :whistling: :sign:

Some good info in this thread :thumbs: It shows that everybody's taste is different.

If anybody would like to trade your aged stuff for that fresh peppery taste, just PM me ;)

I personally cannot think of a single cigar I would rather have fresh than well aged.
Different strokes...

As others have said, a well aged cigar is a real pleasure.

BUT, aging will never turn a dog-rocket into a good cigar.
A bad cigar will always be a bad cigar.

I think I've probably had close to an equal number of aged cigars that were great, as ones that I could've taken or left. Not many that were downright bad, in my limted experience. I will say that there are quite a few cigars out there that are smoking surprisingly well young..... and me likey spicey!

there's nothing magical or special about tobacco from Cuba.

.... and that's just hogwash! :sign:

I find the extremely high lead content in the water supply in Cuba adds a special sweetness to the cigars. Tastes just like the paint chips grandma used to make. :sign: