• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ageing/Humidor - is it needed?

rflook

Hi there,

This is kind of linked to my last post about a humidor. Im a bit of a ciar noob and as such am still a novice at understanding the whole humidor/ageing process.

Now at the moment all cigars i buy are boxed of 25 (i always buy 25's for some reason). Some of these are in individual aluminium tubes. So my questions are

1: Do i have to get/build a humidor/coolidor/fridgidor
2: If i dont and leave them in their current boxes/tubes will they be ok

Also my friend has bought me back some Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux from Spain. Apparently these should be aged for 5 years - im quite impatient however and am likely to tuck in before this time, am i shooting myself horribly in the foot?

You definitely want to keep your cigars at 70 degrees or less and 60-65 percent humidity. I keep all my tubed cigars in their tubes with the cap on. If you cannot keep where you live at 70 degrees or less, then you will need a storage system that does this. The cheapest cooling system will be a cheap wine cooler.

The Le Hoyo Des Dieux are better with 5 plus years of age on them. However they can be quite smokable with as little as 3 years.

Poop, was hoping they would kepp in their boxes for a long time. Guess ill be making a coolidor soon then

I'll tack on a question...

After I get a package in the mail (Wheeee!!!) from CBid, CI, JR, etc., and I stick the sticks in my humidor (leaving the celo on), how long should I give them to stabilize to the humidity of the humi before I smoke them? I've noticed most shipments don't have a humidity pillow or anything like that in the box, but they're usually sealed pretty well in plastic wrap (and the cellophane on each one).

Sorry for the hijack...