• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

alternatives or clones

crvinyo23

hello everyone. so I have my first humidor. 100 count with glass top from Thompson. without a doubt the best purchase I have ever made. so now I am trying to fill it up with good mix of everyday type smokes and some premiums.

my question is. I was looking at JRcigar.com and they have what they call JR alternatives/clones. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there who has tried any of these from JRcigar. I am a huge Rocky Patel fan and they have clones of the edge and the 90 and 92 but I wanted to see if anyone has tried them first to see if its worth it. they are not that expensive. only about 30 to 35 for a box of 20. just want to see if its worth it for and every day smoke. I am a big proponent of the saying "don' be afraid to buy the best cause it will never let you down" but we all know how expensive these cigars are getting.

thanks everyone.

The best JR cigar I have ever had is the Ultimate. Never tried any of there knock offs though.

I like the JR Alternative Ultimate No 1 Maduro. Great value for a good smoke.

I've heard the Alternatives are no where near as good as the brands they mimic. But I hear the JR Ultimates are fine smokes though a little bit more expensive. I myself am going to purchase the Ultimate sampler to try, because i'm curious.

edited for horrendous spelling

Go to Cigar Bid. You can easily pick up RPs or their segundos for pennies on the dollar.

The alternatives are relatively inexpensive but unremarkable as far as my limited experience. I've smoked only about a dozen of various sizes of the JR Ultimate but they've almost always been good, solid cigars.

There is a list floating around somewhere on the internet that has seconds and their corresponding firsts. So if you enjoy something on that list, you can find the second at good prices. I believe the Consuegra brand covers quite a few lines so maybe you want to start there.

Wilkey

The only clone Wilkey ever loved was Dolly, the cloned sheep. :laugh:

Best deal on the planet will be right here. Be sure to read the first post:

Newbie Trade Thread

x2

When I first started buying sticks, I thankfully didn't get all that much, as I now know that I had no idea what was actually the best for the money. The guys in the NST will help you make selections and, let's just say, you won't be ripped off. ;)

Best deal on the planet will be right here. Be sure to read the first post:

Newbie Trade Thread

x3. Seriously worth the money, in truth it is worth quite a bit more. There are brands that I never would have looked at twice that rocked my socks. If it wasn't for the NST I never would have found them. My 0.02 is try as many different brands as possible while your new, there is no need to get locked in on only a few cigars.

I have found the JR Ultimates to be okay smokes. Never have had one of the Alts.

Brandon

With the NST, I don't think you will be looking at alternatives for a while. Give it a shot, many of us started there.

thanks everyone. I appreciate the feed back. although i am new to this site I have been smoking cigars for the better part of ten years. I do make it my mission to try as many different cigars as possible, same with beer.

just never bought anything from JR and never bought any clones. thank you all for the feed back I will deff try that site and see whats going on.