• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Mechanics Wanted Thread

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 that got serviced days before taking it to college, well after getting there it started having a familiar problem. When attempting to start the truck all the lights come on and it prepares to turn over, and just when you turn the key over the lights dim as if to start but without a single sound it doesn't start. I seriously mean it goes dead quiet, no cranking, no grinding, no low growling, no ticking, not a fricking sound. I did this about once every 100-150 starts when I was in Vegas for the last year or year and a half, but now that I'm in Denver it's doing it 5 our of every 20 starts. Usually in Vegas I would try it a few times, wait 10 or 15 minutes and it would turn over in no time. But since being in Denver I'll try to start her up to no avail, and every 15 minutes attempt to get her going and nothing for an hour plus.

I had all parts replaced including plugs, plug wires, battery, etc, etc.

Can anyone lend some advice?

WKOTI

Sounds like a loose connection either at the battery, alternator, starter, or chassis ground

Or could be a bad starter solenoid or bad starter all together.

Sounds like a loose connection either at the battery, alternator, starter, or chassis ground

Or could be a bad starter solenoid or bad starter all together.

Agreed on all. I'd add an ignition switch to that and a possible neutral safety switch. Next time it does this, put it in neutral and check if it cranks or not, then move the gearshift selector through all the gears, back and forth while simultaneously holding the key in the cranking position..........Foot on the brake pedal. ;)

ETA: You can also check that battery connection easily yourself. Clean them up and tighten them if you know how to use a wrench.

Do the lights go off when it doesn't do anything? I would clean the battery posts and clean the wires where it connects to the starter. Had a buddy that had a similar problem and the negative wire that connects to the starter had a loose bolt, the same problem could happen if it had some corrosion built up. Good luck!

Check the end of the battery ground cable that connects to the frame. Make sure it is clean and tight.

Do the lights dim or do the lights go off?
The lights on the dash dim when I turn the key but when I stop attempting to start the truck the lights return to full strength as it normally would do.

Edit for moment of retardation

I'm thinking bad starter or starter solenoid. This is a very common failure. Next time it happens try whacking the starter with a wrench (not hard enough to damage it) and try to start it again. If it starts, it's most likely the solenoid, otherwise it could be the starter itself. If you know someone who's handy with a wrench, most autoparts stores will test starters for free. Their diagnoses isn't always 100%, but it's worth a shot. Also, listen for a click whenever you turn the key. If you hear a click that comes from under the engine, then it's definitely the starter (or a bad battery, but the battery isn't the issue based on your description).

Bad/loose connections are still a possibility. Be sure to check the ground connection from the battery to the frame/engine/transmission, make sure your terminal connectors are tight on your battery, and check for bad battery wires.

I doubt it's the neutral switch because the lights most likely wouldn't dim if that was the case.

Do the lights dim or do the lights go off?
The lights on the dash dim when I turn the key but when I stop attempting to start the truck the lights return to full strength as it normally would do.

Edit for moment of retardation

As previously stated, check the starter.
If you know how to use a 12v test light (or someone that does). Crawl under the truck, and find the starter...............For GM trucks the ignition feed wire is going to be purple. While the key is in the crank position, probe this wire to see if you are getting power to it. If you are, then most likely the starter is your culprit. I wouldn't think the headlights would be normal at all with a bad ground.

But it is very easy to check all of those ground and positive connections yourself. You did just say you had a new battery installed and something could have been left loose. ;)

Thank you guys for all the help, when I get back to Denver in a couple of days I'll use this list to help me figure out the problem and post the results.. You guys are top notch guys and I owe you all more than just my gratitude!!!

WKOTI