• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another MLB Deadline Deal?

Irish

XXXL
So, what are the chances of this actually happening? Is 2008 finally the year for Manny?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Deal for Manny appears to be close
Marlins would move Hermida to Pirates in three-way trade

MIAMI -- All afternoon and throughout the game on Wednesday, the Marlins handled playing a pivotal game with the Mets under heavy speculation that Manny Ramirez could be headed to South Florida.

The Marlins went out and took care of business, winning 7-5 to move within 1 1/2 games behind the Phillies in the National League East standings.

The bigger issue surfaced after the game, when multiple sources gave strong indications that the Marlins are indeed on the verge of acquiring Ramirez from the Red Sox in a complicated three-way trade.

According to sources, Ramirez would become a Marlin for the final two months of the season. Outfielder Jeremy Hermida would head to the Pirates, and the Red Sox would acquire left fielder Jason Bay from Pittsburgh.

Asked about the rumors after going 2-for-4 in what might have been Hermida's final game as a Marlin, the 24-year-old said: "It's out of my control. If something happens, there is nothing I can do about it."

The non-waiver Trade Deadline is set for 4 p.m. ET on Thursday. Speculation is strong that it's a matter of the Commissioner's Office approving the deal. A league source said late Wednesday that all the particulars are being worked out, and Minor League prospects also are expected to be included.

Once those details are in place, the Red Sox are then expected to officially ask Ramirez if he will waive his no-trade clause.

If the deal is pulled off, the Marlins would be parting with Hermida, their first-round Draft pick in 2002, who broke into the big leagues in '05. The lefty-hitting right fielder made history in his first at-bat, by connecting on a pinch-hit grand slam.

Making $395,000, Hermida is in his third season with the Marlins, and he is in line for arbitration after this year.

"I've come up in this organization. It's the only staff that I've known," Hermida said. "A lot of guys in this clubhouse I've known for a lot of years. Definitely, it would be tough to leave these guys who I've grown up with."

Should Ramirez become a Marlin, it would be as a two-month rental. According to sources, Florida has no intention of picking up Ramirez's $20 million option for 2009.

Because their payroll is $22 million, the fact the Marlins even pursued Ramirez is startling to many, considering their cost-cutting history. But the team is in the thick of the playoff race, and there is a push to get a new stadium built. Right now, the status of the new stadium is hung up in a lawsuit.

Ramirez brings star power to the Marlins, along with a power bat. However, he does have his share of baggage, as he seems to be on the verge of leaving Boston disgruntled with the organization where he won two World Series titles.

Along with Hermida, Marlins left fielder Josh Willingham heard his name attached to the trade rumors involving Ramirez.

Willingham is the current left fielder, and it is unclear if he also may be part of a deal on Thursday.

"I hadn't heard anything about myself until today," Willingham said. "I'm sitting there and watching and you see yourself, and it's like, 'Whoa.' "

Reminded that the game is a business, Willingham added: "That's how you have to treat it. This is the only organization that I know. Until something happens, we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

Manny will go from the Sox to a team that can barely gather a couple thousand per game. Also, I think the heat will make him get rid of those dreadlocks.

Keep him in the AL! I love Manny, I just don't want to play against him!

Amen to that - he's going to go from one of my favorite Yankee Killers to pounding homers against my beloved Metsies!

It will be nice to finally get him off of ESPN every 20 minutes. If he's on a team other than the Yanks or the Sox they'll never talk about him. :D

He's a great hitter, but he is on my list of people I could do without...

I'd like to see him stay in the AL. He's fun to watch and a great clutch hitter. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Twins Uni but that would never happen otherwise we'd still have Santana and Hunter.

We've been getting by on the cheap for years, its got to catch up with us sooner or later.

I would have been sad to see him go... That is, until he pushed a 60 yr old man to the floor. Now, even than though the Sox won't make the playoffs without him, I can't wait.

Doc.

Amen to that - he's going to go from one of my favorite Yankee Killers to pounding homers against my beloved Metsies!
Yeah Baby!

From their mouths to God's ears...I hope it's true.

Ship him off to the NL...helps the Yanks and screws the Mets! :laugh:

A wonderful day in the Bronx :thumbs:

Griffey to the White Sox!

Man, this is starting to heat up to be a great finish to the season.

Pinella is still looking, you never know. Two Ramirezes would be phenomenal

Trying to be team agnostic... This is a good move for the Sox. They were not going to pick up his $20m option for next year anyway. Getting Bay, even for the short term frees up some $$ to go exploring for a brand name nexy year.

The Yankee fan in me is laughing that they have to overpay in the long run to remedy this situation.

Can you hear the footsteps Red Sox fans?

Eh, never mind. Again. :rolleyes:

Works for me, 9 less games against one of the best bats in the league!

BOSTON -- Just when it seemed disenchanted Red Sox slugger Manny Ramirez was on the verge of being dealt to the Florida Marlins, early afternoon reports on ESPN.com and Foxsports.com surfaced just hours before today's 4 p.m. ET Trade deadline that the proposed three-way deal which also involved the Pittsburgh Pirates was nearly dead.

As an Angels fan, I'm torn on whether I would like Manny to stay or go.

If he's traded, it will be nice not to have to see him in the lineup. Those are big numbers that will be missing. Makes life a little easier when playing the Red sox in the playoff (that is if the sox make it).

On the other hand, the red sox have been playing terrible lately. Maybe it better if he stays there and keeps the clubhouse, management, and front office miserable. Jogging to first base, dicking up plays in the outfield, and talking smack to the media might cause more damage.

The Red Sox deserve everything that is happening. Manny has been a jerk for years. They have not only allowed it but encouraged his nonsense over the years. Now that its gone too far, they act like they are victims..... weak.

Whoa! Spoke too soon:

Sources: Manny to LA, Bay to Boston

Manny Ramirez is going to the Dodgers.

The Red Sox, Dodgers and Pirates have agreed to a deal, according to sources, in which Ramirez will go to Los Angeles, outfielder Jason Bay will go from Pittsburgh to Boston and the Pirates will receive pitchers Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen from the Red Sox and third baseman Andy LaRoche and outfielder Bryan Morris from the Dodgers.

The Pirates have called a 5:30 p.m. ET press conference.

Ha! Manny and Andrew Jones on the same team - that should make for an entertaining locker room!

As a SOX fan im a bit dissapointed to see one of your best hitters leave, Big Papi is great but the two of them back to back made for some great hitting, that is when neither of them were in a slump. Now Youk and Tek need to pick it up a bit more now. His attitude could always do without, plus i was getting tired of that "manny being manny" crap.

Jason Bay is a very talented player...hustles and knows the game.

In Cincinnati we are sorry to see Griffey leave. He is a walking hall of famer.

Jason Bay is a very talented player...hustles and knows the game.

In Cincinnati we are sorry to see Griffey leave. He is a walking hall of famer.

When he can walk.

I love Griffey, but that guy has some of the worst luck as far as injuries go. You would think with his genes he'd be a horse.

I'm afraid he's going to help the Whities just enough to get them the division title. I wish the Twins would ave at least done SOMETHING to act like they're actually in the race.