• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any M1A people out there?

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
Reaction score
Hey folks!

I've come here for gun advice before, y'all seem to know your stuff!

My father suggested getting me a firearm for my graduation gift (graduating in May, after a 5 year program) and I figured that's a fine idea. Started looking at my "dream list" of guns and my top two are an M1A and a Kimber 1911 set up for carry. I figure either of those would make a great gift, something that I'd enjoy, and keep forever.

But anyway, I'm looking into different M1A's and wondering if anyone has any opinions or specific experiences? I'd like a Springfield, none of the fancy smaller companies. I've been told to look into the scout squad, as its a good compromise between size and performance, and still has the full length gas system?

I guess I'm just looking for opinions, suggestions, and general information on the rifle. (Yes, I know they're big and heavy!)

If you own one, feel free to post up a pic too :thumbs:

Check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Garands and carbines on the cheap, all you gotta do is jump through some hoops. Occasionally they have 1903's too.

Check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Garands and carbines on the cheap, all you gotta do is jump through some hoops. Occasionally they have 1903's too.

I'd love a Garand, just not right now. Looking at M1A's (M14)

What are you planning to do with it? Hunt, plink, varmints, personal protection? Is caliber important?

Yes. caliber is important, thats why I want a .308.

It'll be a nice "reach out and touch something" rifle. I don't want a bolt action though, which is why I like the M1A.

Ultra reliable, great caliber, great rifle in general. It'll be nice in a SHTF situation as well.

I'm just looking for opinions on the specific rifle, and the different models that springfield has (standard vs. loaded vs. national match vs. scout squad etc)

Rifles need even more practice then handguns if you want to reach out and touch someone. Plus you'll need to find a range and I would suggest you learn to reload too 'cause it will get mighty expensive. As someone who stated with the M14 those many years ago you can do 5" groups at 500 yards with iron sights and a few thousand rounds of practice but you need to keep it up to retain that ability. A pistol is much more forgiving due to the decreased distances involved.

Had my own M1A for 25 years but sold it since I really couldn't practice with it at the range (4-600 yards) I wanted to shoot.

Rifles need even more practice then handguns if you want to reach out and touch someone. Plus you'll need to find a range and I would suggest you learn to reload too 'cause it will get mighty expensive. As someone who stated with the M14 those many years ago you can do 5" groups at 500 yards with iron sights and a few thousand rounds of practice but you need to keep it up to retain that ability. A pistol is much more forgiving due to the decreased distances involved.

Had my own M1A for 25 years but sold it since I really couldn't practice with it at the range (4-600 yards) I wanted to shoot.

Clark County shooting park is open up to 200 yards right now, with the long range opening soon.

Also getting a membership at a Range in colder city, goes out to 500 yards.

Not to mention our wide open desert shooting ranges...haha.

I'm gonna get into reloading for sure, especially since I purchased the .45-70....at a 1.75 a shot its painful both physically and financially.

Shooting an M1A in my avatar. You might also consider FAL's. A lot of variations, adjustable gas blow-back, and .308 as well.

For my .02, I enjoy shooting the FAL more than the M1A, though not by much.
img0005np.jpg

Springfield used have some "coupons" with a new purchase that could be used for upgrades. I like my full sized "loaded" model. I wouldn't want a Scout because I wouldn't use it for hunting or self defense in the house. Lots of nice upgrades to the "loaded" without breaking the bank. If you want the best in accuracy, I think you need to get the Match grade which has a rear lugged bolt for increased accuracy. I'm not that good (or wealthy), so loaded it was for me.