• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any other coffee home roasters?

Where is ParaGod when you need him? :cool:

It was common to see smoke rising over Mike's house from the backyard patio area, as he roasted away on his popcorn poppers, while cooking on his smoker and bar-b-que and chomping on a cigar. :laugh:

Where is ParaGod when you need him? :cool:

It was common to see smoke rising over Mike's house from the backyard patio area, as he roasted away on his popcorn poppers, while cooking on his smoker and bar-b-que and chomping on a cigar. :laugh:

If you'd include a beer, that sounds like a great day. Hopefully I'll have a few of those this coming year.

Like this guy?

$30 doesn't seem to pricey to experiment with home roasting.

Nope...

Looky HERE for the type to use. No need to go through all the troble setting it up like they have it.

You just put in some beans and have to listen for the second crack and watch the coloring.

I've used the poppery with pretty good results.

I also tried the stainless steel bowl with a paint stripper- heat gun. Now that was a pain.

One point to remember, VENTILATION, the larger amount of beans you roast at one time
the more smoke you will have. You WILL set off the smoke detectors if nearby. :blush:

One point to remember, VENTILATION, the larger amount of beans you roast at one time
the more smoke you will have. You WILL set off the smoke detectors if nearby. :blush:

Amen to that brother.

Need to roast in the garage or outside.

Even roasting under the oven vent hood is a bit risky. :cool:

I've been home roasting for 3-4 months after inheriting badhangover's old popcorn popper. No excessive/crazy mods needed on that one though. It certainly results in a better tasting cup of coffee but I am seeing that i need to upgrade my brewer and grinder to really take advantage of the better quality. The thing I like about it the most is being able to have multiple varieties and multiple roast levels on hand all of the time. I would never buy multiple packages of roasted beans because they get stale too quick but since I only roast a small amount at a time it is easy to have a few different batches available.

Definitely something that needs to be done outside, especially if going for a darker roast. As far as the chaff issue I just put a bowl under the spot it comes out of the popper and that pretty much solves that.

I have been getting my green beans from www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/home.php .

Much like me they are located in Canada so it makes sense. They have a pretty good selection and I receive shipments quick enough. They did drop the ball on an order I made just before Christmas but they threw in 2 lbs of extra beans and gave me a credit of the shipping cost for use on my next order so I am quite satisfied with their service.

Ok..time to move UP to a larger machine.

Behmor 1600 or Gene Cafe.

The question is...how much better is the later for $200 more?

I thought about getting a HotTop...but that 's a little much.
Right now I'm leaning toward the 1600.

Thoughts?

BTW - I found a green bean place in Ind. that has Tanzania Peaberry for between $4-5 a lb....and you DON'T have to buy the whole bag!

----------------------------------
Well, glad I double checked Sweet Maria's as they have a great comparison chart.
It seems the Behmor is not great for smaller bean coffe...and I roast a lot of Peaberrry.
Dang...I'll have to call them up now.

Ok..time to move UP to a larger machine.

Behmor 1600 or Gene Cafe.

The question is...how much better is the later for $200 more?

I thought about getting a HotTop...but that 's a little much.
Right now I'm leaning toward the 1600.

Thoughts?

BTW - I found a green bean place in Ind. that has Tanzania Peaberry for between $4-5 a lb....and you DON'T have to buy the whole bag!
Between the two, Behmor...no question. Great roaster for the money and their customer service (second party) is outstanding.

I don't really need all the 'roasting profiles' capabilities that are including in some of the high end machines. I'm a manual type of guy myself.

Tanzania Peaberry is my #1 favorite coffee! Please send me the company that is selling them GG...thanx.

I have the Behmore 1600. I've had no issues with batches of 1/2# or less. I regularly roast to FC+ and above and the safeties won't allow a roast time that long. I have however let it cool just enough to reset the roast and continued from there. I roast by sight smell and sight, so timers really only help in the roasting portfolios.

Do not assume you can roast beyond FC indoors. Unless you have a really big fan.

I have the Behmore 1600. I've had no issues with batches of 1/2# or less. I regularly roast to FC+ and above and the safeties won't allow a roast time that long. I have however let it cool just enough to reset the roast and continued from there. I roast by sight smell and sight, so timers really only help in the roasting portfolios.

Do not assume you can roast beyond FC indoors. Unless you have a really big fan.

The Behmor 1600 now comes with a basket that has a smaller screen, low profile tray - so you can know see the basket...and a side panel fan...AND coffees to sample.

Just bought one!

It is shipping from within the state so I should be roasting by tomorrow night...just in time fo the weekend!!!

Roastmasters.com is in Branford and they have it in stock!

Had I not noticed these changes I would have ordered the Gene Cafe.

The Hottop would be the next step...maybe next year!

(yes...I have a whole house fan!) ;)

I also have the Behmor.

Started having issues with it shutting down during a roast.

I exchanged emails with their tech support and I was sent a new controller board.

Another week and still having issues.

Another email and they sent a new fan, with an apology that they should have sent the fan along with the board.

Anything manmade can break. They took care of me and I have't had an issue since.

Customer service at it's best. :thumbs:

And yes, I love my roaster. :D

I'd love to try home roasting, but my budget would only allow me to use a hot air popper at the time.

When you home roast, do you typically do you roast for a couple pots of coffee? Or do you roast a pound or two?

I'd love to try home roasting, but my budget would only allow me to use a hot air popper at the time.

When you home roast, do you typically do you roast for a couple pots of coffee? Or do you roast a pound or two?

I have and was using an air roaster (about $90). It roasts about a pot at a time.
Going thru as much as I do, a larger version has been needed for some time.

It's best to roast then let the beans sit for 8-12 hours...then brew.

I do like the hot air machine but it's just a little small.

This way I'll be able to roast coffee for the week in one or two roastings.

Nice, I am jealous. I have read up on the subject and as of yet , haven't pulled the trigger.
I have a large family and the small rosters wouldn't do. I would get frustrated roasting
a half a pound at a time. The small commercial roasters can be
a bit expensive, so I will continue to review........

The Behmor 1600 now comes with a basket that has a smaller screen, low profile tray - so you can know see the basket...and a side panel fan...AND coffees to sample.

Just bought one!

It is shipping from within the state so I should be roasting by tomorrow night...just in time fo the weekend!!!

Roastmasters.com is in Branford and they have it in stock!

Had I not noticed these changes I would have ordered the Gene Cafe.

The Hottop would be the next step...maybe next year!

(yes...I have a whole house fan!) ;)

Well?

Roasted a batch last night...cleaned it out and went to roast another(yea..it was the 6th roasting overall)...and POOF....SMOKE everywhere.
It appeared that the tumbler may have fallen of....well, needless to say:

1) I need new batteries in the alarms
2) I don't think I'd get anything but an air unit from here on out.

Ugh!

I roast 3-5 batches a week, for over a year and a half. No issues but I do know about that house full of smoke thing. One mistake and she still holds it against me.