• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any RP's worth aging?

theginguy

Well, after a few weeks of testing; I'm pretty set on Rocky Patel's and Padron's being my goto brands. I just have that personality, where I don't like to constantly switch from one thing to another. Once I find something I like, I am very content sticking with it.

So my question is this. I absolutely love Padron 64's. I also like the 2000's. Now I know that the 2000's will do well in a humidor. What about the 64's? Or can I just buy them off the shelf when I want one?

And.... how about Rocky Patel's?

I like everything I've smoked from Rocky Patel. Does anyone have any comments on any of his cigars getting better with time in the humidor? Or are most of his smokes good off the shelf?

Thanks.

I enjoy most RP's I've had, I have heard that the newer 1990's and '92s aren't what they used to be since he switched who was making them or something to that effect, I'm sure someone here will fill that in as i don't recall. That said I do recall it also being said that the vintage ones seem to age okay. I don't see why not, I just had a sun grown today, love those.

I have a fondness for Padron's as well. I've only tried a few RP's...but I put a couple of Edges's in my Humi a couple of months ago that I'm waiting to smoke until something special pops up. I have no idea what that occasion will be though. :rolleyes: I'm sure someone here has aged a few though.

I like the RP edge as a decent stick for an evening dog walk, so I bought a largebundle one time and as i pull them out of the coolidor now, less than 3 years, I don't find them that much better than fresh.

I recently bought a number of the old worlde reserve corojo,which I like now, I hope that I can hide some long enough to try some age on them.

Nope. Haven't noticed any big differences between
right OTT and aged for a year or more. I haven't
tried every RP there is, but this applies to Edge,
Vintage/Fusion, OWR and others. I like most RPs,
but not all.

Chemyst :cool:

I think it depends on the condition of the cigsrs at the point of purchase. I bought a box of the decade torpedos about a year ago just off the hype. I bought them as soon as my b&m got them in. I smoked one as soon as I got home that day and was extremely dissapointed at how bland the stick was :angry: . It also had a harsh finish. I stored the box in my humi and never looked at it again until last night (about a year at 65% humidity 67 temp). I smoked one just for the hell of it and to my surprise found the stick to be extremely complex and rich. I could not beleive how tasty this stick had become! I think this is because I bought them fresh from shipment.

Just my .02 cents!

Brian

I think it depends on the condition of the cigsrs at the point of purchase. I bought a box of the decade torpedos about a year ago just off the hype. I bought them as soon as my b&m got them in. I smoked one as soon as I got home that day and was extremely dissapointed at how bland the stick was :angry: . It also had a harsh finish. I stored the box in my humi and never looked at it again until last night (about a year at 65% humidity 67 temp). I smoked one just for the hell of it and to my surprise found the stick to be extremely complex and rich. I could not beleive how tasty this stick had become! I think this is because I bought them fresh from shipment.

Just my .02 cents!

Brian

I agree. It does depend on the condition at purchase. I also stick with brands that I enjoy and consider myself a RP smoker before anything... I still stick with a good edge maduro. I have found that a year or so in the humi makes a difference. I only have three left and have had them since last August. And there is a huge difference in the smoothness from when I first bought them, but also since previous boxes I have had that I smoked much faster. I have also had great success with aging a few sticks of the RP Sungrown. I have yet to try the Decade and am still searching for the Edge Sumatra....but have to wait till my next paycheck :laugh:

The RP's I've had in the past were very inconsistent. Some were pretty darn good, some were pretty terrible. Sometimes from the same box, if you can believe it.

If you like them, that's all the validation you need; "...smoke what you like, like what you smoke...." as the wise man once said.

Regards - B.B.S.