• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone done a hygro calibration with a Humidipak?

waliguy

I had a cigar with the guys from Humidipak today (they are from Minnesota as well), and I guess I should have asked them...but here goes...feedback appreciated.

It has occured to me that another easier hygrometer calibration is in a sealed bag with a couple of humidipak pouches. I know that fresh, they are right on the money at 70%. Wouldn't it be easier than a salt test?

Thoughts?

I use PG to test my hygrometers if there is some question after the salt test.

I recall reading a thread in the Accessories Room at Cigarfamily.com where HMS Richard tested the Humidipak and found them to be within 1% of 70% RH. As long as the environment is airtight and you let the Humidipak sit long enough I would think you could use that to calibrate your hygrometers with it rather than doing the salt test.

Aloha,

Wade

The instructions that came with my Caliber II digital hygrometer said "Do not perform salt test" but didn't say why. Any ideas?

statelandman said:
The instructions that came with my Caliber II digital hygrometer said "Do not perform salt test" but didn't say why. Any ideas?
probably corrosion but several have done it anyway with no ill effects.

statelandman said:
I read this somewhere else in another thread. The suggestion was maybe they didn't want you to know it was junk.

Simple.......what they are saying is "don't use salt because even though it works fine with no ill effect, we don't make any money if you do"

Simple.......what they are saying is "don't use salt because even though it works fine with no ill effect, we don't make any money if you do"
That certainly seems to be the most plausible explanation. Corrosion would not be a factor unless you actually spilled the salt solution onto the device.

Wilkey

Humidipak sells a Calibration Kit for hygrometers that is set at 75.5%. I have used all of the different Rh levels for hygrometer testing and they work well for checking calibration.

Humidipak sells a Calibration Kit for hygrometers that is set at 75.5%. I have used all of the different Rh levels for hygrometer testing and they work well for checking calibration.

I just purchased one of the adjustable hygro's with the Calibration Kit from viper....appeared to work great for me.

Are the humipaks either 70 or nothin? In other words, is the one that has been sitting in my 65% humi still going to register 70%?