• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone have a review for Brocatus cigars?

CeeMmm

After my vague and uninformative post on Saturday (here), I am browsing online and come across Brocatus cigars for ~$1 a stick. Now, I am looking for a milder cigar that I can fire up when I can't sit and contemplate life, the universe, and everything (as well as the cigar); but also one that I wouldn't be embarrassed to hand to other people. I'm on a fairly tight cigar budget (because the wife gets to spend an equal amount that I spend on cigars) so I'm always looking for a good everyday stick.

I have some Famous Dom 2000's on the way (hopefully will come in today), and I've read on here that the Famous Nic 500's are good too.

So far I have found one reference to the Brocatus' as being "dog rockets," but it was a one-liner in the "What did you smoke today" thread. Is there anyone else that has any of these that is willing to give me a more detailed review?

Thanks from a noob,

CM

You probably won't find any more than "that's a dog rocket" because they are. Isn't that a Thompson creation?

edited: stupid spelling

It's a CI bundle. I haven't tried them, but the Liga IV (another CI special) aren't bad at all, especially for the price. The thing to remember about cigars at this price point is that they're generally inconsistent; you might smoke one and think genius, then toss the next halfway through. PM me if you'd like to try 1 or 2.

For inexpensive cigars at <30 a box (in other words, buck-a-gars), Punch London Club gets a lot of good press, as does Hoyo de Monterrey Sabrosos. I have a box of natural sabrosos, and they need a little humi time. I'm personally very fond of the Flor de Gonzalez White Label, not the mixed-filler green label, but the long-filler, Nicaraguan-made one. Available for about $30 from Larry Lynn, and it would be a bargain at twice the price.

Any other recommendations?

Mayorga always said during a good cheap smoke discussion and for good reason they are a good cheap smoke around 2-3 bucks per smoke

It's a CI bundle. I haven't tried them, but the Liga IV (another CI special) aren't bad at all, especially for the price. The thing to remember about cigars at this price point is that they're generally inconsistent; you might smoke one and think genius, then toss the next halfway through. PM me if you'd like to try 1 or 2.

For inexpensive cigars at <30 a box (in other words, buck-a-gars), Punch London Club gets a lot of good press, as does Hoyo de Monterrey Sabrosos. I have a box of natural sabrosos, and they need a little humi time. I'm personally very fond of the Flor de Gonzalez White Label, not the mixed-filler green label, but the long-filler, Nicaraguan-made one. Available for about $30 from Larry Lynn, and it would be a bargain at twice the price.

Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. This is what I was looking for when I joined here.

Anybody else want to let me in on their favorite ~$1-$2 sticks?

Definitely agree with the London Club, I love the maduros and at $26/box they represent a good value imho, relatively short smoke also so its fits in for a lunch time stogie.

I also enjoy the Roly and Flor de Oliva bundles for inexpensive smokes.

I think that we're all looking for that good dollar cigar. $2-3 for a smoke isn't that much (and would give you a lot more room to play in) if you only buy one occasionally, but it's the difference between a $25 box and a $75 box if you're buying boxes. Which is quite a bit on a limited budget.

Thanks, FiveByFifty - interesting threads, but I've noticed on CP the definition of "inexpensive" tends to be a little skewed upwards, as in under $5. The buck a smoke thread is totally on-topic and I hadn't noticed it before, and the OP should definitely read it. Well done for posting the link.

Someone looking to buy a mess of Brocatus on CI's cheap-smokes page is not going to fork out nearly $100 for a box of really good cigars (Oliva, Padron, etc). You're really looking at the sub $30 boxes or bundles, and even some bundles break that price point.

Cheers.

Gotta throw in a vote for the Mayorga Maduros. Not quite a buck a stick but they smoke beyond the $2-3 a stick they cost.

As for $1 sticks, I can't say as I've had one that I'd reach for again and again. But then again, I really haven't explored that category. Tried some Connies but the really didn't strike a chord with me.

Carry on! :)

Wilkey

Wow!! Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply. This is what I was looking for when I joined here.

Anybody else want to let me in on their favorite ~$1-$2 sticks?

I love JLP and peso cigars. Last time I was down south a bundle of peso cigars was around 10 bucks (I still got ripped off but over a few bucks I really didn't care as I was putting money into that family's pocket) and the JLPs were around 20 or 30 or so.

Sancho Panza Maduro. Ahhhhh..... Everytime there is a thread on this topic I am always the first to mention them. Also the Extra Fuerte are pretty nice as well. They can be had at just a little over two bucks a stick if you buy a box. If you do some more searching you will be able to find to thread with a link that gives you free shipping from one online retail that you mentioned.

Might also be worth it to try the Newbie Sampler, as you will get your money's worth and then some.

Sancho Panza Maduro. Ahhhhh..... Everytime there is a thread on this topic I am always the first to mention them. Also the Extra Fuerte are

I keep on seeing raves about those. I guess it's time to spring for or simply trade for a few. :)

Sancho Panza Maduro. Ahhhhh..... Everytime there is a thread on this topic I am always the first to mention them. Also the Extra Fuerte are
I keep on seeing raves about those. I guess it's time to spring for or simply trade for a few. :)
Don't get me wrong, these are good little cigars. But they are not great cigars. What they are is a great value for what they deliver.

Wilkey

I believe Cigars International handles them. I tried them and I think they are pretty good. I've tried sooo many, and I like Fuente 858's. I tried Brocatus from Cigars Intl catalog and I think they are worth a try.

After my vague and uninformative post on Saturday (here), I am browsing online and come across Brocatus cigars for ~$1 a stick. Now, I am looking for a milder cigar that I can fire up when I can't sit and contemplate life, the universe, and everything (as well as the cigar); but also one that I wouldn't be embarrassed to hand to other people. I'm on a fairly tight cigar budget (because the wife gets to spend an equal amount that I spend on cigars) so I'm always looking for a good everyday stick.

I have some Famous Dom 2000's on the way (hopefully will come in today), and I've read on here that the Famous Nic 500's are good too.

So far I have found one reference to the Brocatus' as being "dog rockets," but it was a one-liner in the "What did you smoke today" thread. Is there anyone else that has any of these that is willing to give me a more detailed review?

Thanks from a noob,

CM
[/quote]

Great job! Nice to see you jumped right in and are contributing to the forum on your first post!

I believe Cigars International handles them. I tried them and I think they are pretty good. I've tried sooo many, and I like Fuente 858's. I tried Brocatus from Cigars Intl catalog and I think they are worth a try.

Thanks from a noob,

CM