• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
I ordered this stick through a good BOTL who helped out when he saw my ISO post on some Fuentes. Dave, thanks again brother. This will be my first WOAM, hopefully it'll be a pleasant experience. I'm assuming there's not too much age on it as I only let it rest in my humi for a few days after receiving them, but I've stashed the rest away for later.

Size: 4-7/8 x 46/60
Shape: Figurado
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican

gallery_3497_1131_271881.jpg

Pre-light Impressions: I've really become a fan of the Figurado, I like the tight opening at the foot and the gradual reduction in size. I normally don't have the time for larger smokes, so I tend to try and stay in the Robusto range anyway. Previously I'd had a Hemingway Between the Lines (my fav. stick so far) as well as a Troya (mediocre) that were in this shape. This stick is a pleasant chocolate brown with little to no veins, the wrapper being only slightly toothy, and no soft spots were found. After clipping, prelight draw is good and tastes of sweet tobacco. I actually hesistated to light it as just letting it sit in my mouth was fairly nice. I really like the Figurado shape as far as lighting goes, the foot is shaped almost to a point, no messing about with trying to get the entire thing lit evenly. A quick torch to the foot and we're off to the races.
------------
gallery_3497_1131_726536.jpg

First Impression, Post Light and First Third: Be sure that you're attentive to the cigar until it's well past that little point, otherwise it might go out on you fairly quickly. Ask me how I know. :whistling: Anywho, after getting it relit, the first flavors that come to mind are a kind of semi-spicey leather, though I must confess that there's a lot more there that I'm just not able to discern. The mouth feel from this smoke is something I've never experienced before either, it's almost refreshing. Smoke quantity is only moderate and I blame this on my humidor as the RH has been rather high as of late.
------------
gallery_3497_1131_161304.jpg

Second Third: I'm into the second third of the cigar now and it still has only a very small bit of spice, but mostly I'm likening the flavor to that of a creamy latte. It's a little sweet, it's got a little cocoa, maybe just a hint of leather now. Again it's a really complex flavor and I'm trying my best to pick out what I can, but overall it's just plain good. The burn has been pretty uneven though, I've had to touch up for the second time, but again I blame this on the RH in my humidor.
------------
gallery_3497_1131_176872.jpg

Last Third: The spice has picked up a bit and the "latte" flavor has turned into a kind of sweet earthiness/leather flavor again. I finally lost the ash which had stayed a mottled light grey. Smoked it down to a little less than an inch after it started to get harsh.

Overall I'm going to have to say that this is my second most favorite cigar so far, possibly even a tie with the BTL for first. If you have a chance to pick some up, definitely do so, if you don't like them (unlikely) let me know and I'll gladly trade you for something else. :sign:

Two questions:

#1 - Where did you get that ashtray/tool setup?!? Me wants!!

#2 - Where did all the ash end up? Your lap? Man, I wish there was a little beep that would go off when the ash is about to drop.....

Nice review. These are 1 of my favorites also. They are even better with some age on them.IMO

Two questions:

#2 - Where did all the ash end up? Your lap? Man, I wish there was a little beep that would go off when the ash is about to drop.....

#1 - I got that one off of ebay. I just posted a thread about it in particular, you can check it out by Clicking Here.

#2 - Yes, actually, the majority of it fell off onto my lap. I too would like a buzzer of some sort for when it's time to ash.

Yes, please tell us where you got that ashtray thing. It looks nifty and awesome.

I've only smoked the Hemingway Signature Maduro but I loved it. My mouth just waters thinking about it. I do have a WOAM sitting in my humidor and I can't wait to smoke it. :)

You might want to try leaving sticks in your humidor for longer than just a few days. I'm extremely impatient so I used to smoke sticks within days of when I receive them, but I would always run into burn issues. I guess the shipping process takes a lot out of them; nowadays I leave them in the humidor for at least a week. You should get a second opinion on this though.

Two questions:

#1 - I got that one off of ebay. I just posted a thread about it in particular, you can check it out by Clicking Here.

#2 - Yes, actually, the majority of it fell off onto my lap. I too would like a buzzer of some sort for when it's time to ash.

#1 - Thanks for the linky. I noticed the little black slot next to the actual ashtray, is it possible that you could use one of those golf green repair tools/cigar holders in that slot for your shorter sticks?

#2 - Ash warning buzzer © Twizz 2009...How awesome would that be? The real bitch is when I'm wearing a fresh suit, having one on the way to work, and wear half my cigar. Oh well, its always worth it!!

You might want to try leaving sticks in your humidor for longer than just a few days. I'm extremely impatient so I used to smoke sticks within days of when I receive them, but I would always run into burn issues. I guess the shipping process takes a lot out of them; nowadays I leave them in the humidor for at least a week. You should get a second opinion on this though.
You're right, the sticks do get a little taken out of them in transit, but I really couldn't wait to try one. Now I really can't wait to try one with some age on it.

#1 - Thanks for the linky. I noticed the little black slot next to the actual ashtray, is it possible that you could use one of those golf green repair tools/cigar holders in that slot for your shorter sticks?
Yeah, that's for the guillotine cutter but I'm sure that you could use a divot tool if you wanted to, you'd just need to find one short and thin enough. I may try and get something made that will act as an extension like you said.

I'm glad you liked this one, Merlin. It has been one of my favorites for some time. I like that ashtray too.

Great review and pics. I think I may be partial to the parejo Hemi maduros but love the WOAM almost as much. Thanks

Imho I like the BTL better then the WOAMs. Not saying that the WOAM is a slouch by any means. I think it's the combining of the maduro and natural wrappers, yum!

Very good review. I have tried the WOAM once, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm really wanting to pick some more up now. I also really like that ashtray. Very cool!

Thanks for the review :thumbs:

I'm glad you enjoyed the WOAM. Nice review and pics. You should like the BTL as well. And yes, they do age very well. I have a BTL in my humi that's just waiting very patiently for me to grab it up. I think it has close to two years on it.

You're quite welcome for the hook-up. I'm glad there's that shpo across the river that carries a good supply of them. I just don't get over there as often as I should.

What's the small slot to the left of the ashtray? That is a nice unit.

Nice review. I had a WOAM yesterday at my local shop. I agree with you, the stick has some good spice and at times had hints of sweet cocoa. But I did enjoy this cigar very much.

Nice review, Ditto on the ashtray setup.

you kow you left the best in the ashtray. that's a cigar you take the wrapper off and nub it.

Great job.

<------------------------------- :D

And they make such a nice ash!

What's the small slot to the left of the ashtray? That is a nice unit.
It's where you can stick the guillotine cutter (I guess for support?) while you clip your cigar. I guess. :blush:

you kow you left the best in the ashtray. that's a cigar you take the wrapper off and nub it.
I actually did take off the band and continue smoking for a while, but I just can't nub'em like some folks do around here.