• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente King B Belicoso

SkyKing

Origin: Dominican Republic
Format: Belicoso
Size: 6 x 55
Ring: 55
Wapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown Rosado
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic
Street Price: About $7 a stick; $120 a box. I got my box for $100, an exceptional deal.

arturo-fuente-chateau-fuente-king-b.png

Grade: C

Summary : An impressive looking, well constructed cigar that falls short in construction materials and flavor.​

Appearance : This big ring belicoso is wrapped in a cedar sleeve with a black ribbon collar adorning the foot, as do all of the sticks in the Aturo Fuente Chateau Sun Grown line. While attractive, the sleeve prohibits you from cherry picking the best out of the box when shopping at your your local B&BM. On the other hand, if you want that cedar flavor, then the sleeve is necessary.​

I first encountered cedar sleeves on a box of the AF Double Chateau Fuentes I purchased earlier in the year. This newbie was quite bulloxed by the packaging and was frequently frustrated in his attempts to remove the sleeve by peeling the scotch tape off the cedar. I made quite the mess in the process, not to mention getting my fingers tacky from the adhesive. My ignorance was lessened slightly when I happened across a review, in which the writer mentioned that he "slipped" the sleeve off the cigar. Aha!​

Once the cigar is undressed, the cigar looks impressive - at first glance. The sungrown, Ecuadorian wrapper has a sheen but isn't quite oily. The cigar seems light in hand for its size. A second look reveals a prominent vein that runs the length of the cigar. It is so large that it can be felt through the band.​

gallery_14568_1643_348121.jpg

About two thirds into the smoke, the wrapper threatened to unravel.

gallery_14568_1643_216503.jpg

I'm discovering that I can smoke a large ring torpedo without feeling my sexual identity threatened as I might when handling a gargantuan or similar large size, non-tapered smoke. And, of course, you can more easily adjust the draw, at least in some cases.

Not all was bad. The King B had a nice, firm ash that hung for almost half the smoke - two inches plus measured.

gallery_14568_1643_189536.jpg

Flavor : I know it is customary to break the review into thirds but I didn't detect enough change in the profile to make it worthwhile. The initial flavors in the first third were sweet and salt, mild to medium bodied, barnyard notes reminiscent of chicken droppings and hay - with a bit of chocolate, if I stretch my imagination. The flavor wasn't entirely unpleasant but far from my favorite in the AF line. Smoke production was average. The last third did become a bit more intense but not in a good way. I left the last couple of inches to die a lonely death.

Some age might well help round out the flavor. I really disliked the first Double Chateau I tried but that stick vastly improved after resting for a few months.

Afterward : I smoked two of these sticks before writing this review, each lasting about an hour or so. The big, ugly veins were present on both, the burn was ragged on both. I know lots of people like this stick but I likely will not be buying another box. In fact, I have doubts if I will be purchasing any more of the AF sun grown cigars. While I liked the Double Chateau line after letting them rest, I believe there are probably better cigar lines for the money.

As an example, 15 minutes after smoking the King B, I lit up a Padron Executive. The burn was clean, the flavor was full and balanced and I enjoyed it start to finish - all two hours of it. And Padrons aren't the only cigars that offer more for the money.For example the Pinar Del Rio 1878 Reserva Dominicana Oscura or the PDR Capa Maduro are a little less expensive, better constructed, and more flavorful than the King B. Note the long ash hang in the PDR below.

gallery_14568_1643_107004.jpg

I'll let this box of Kings rest for a few months. If aging improves them substantially, I'll bump this review.

Thanks for the review, very nice. I looked at one of these when I was visiting in MN but got a Queen B instead.

Thanks for the review, very nice. I looked at one of these when I was visiting in MN but got a Queen B instead.

Judging from my experience and other reviews, you probably got the better smoke. I ordered mine by accident. I originally was going to give the Double Chateaus another go round. The vendor called to tell me that they were out of stock but would replace with another AF sungrown. I heard Queen B on the phone when the vendor had actually said King B. Still, I was happy to have the chance to try them. I'll have to get my hands on a Queen B somewhere down the line.

I'll have to get my hands on a Queen B somewhere down the line.

I saw them on Cigar Monster the day I went and picked one up at a B&M, it was a decent smoke but I for the price I wouldn't put it on the top of any of my lists.

looks like you have quit the set up there in DC.

I'll be down there in Oct.- let me know what our schedule is.

I personally enjoy the Queen B's, particularly when I haven't smoked a cigar the previous day, as I find them a bit on the milder side. I don't know about the King B's, but the Queen B's age quite nicely. Hopefully you'll find the same results with the King B's

Compare with the AF Cuban Belicoso. Much better in my opinion.

This size, as well as the Queen B, taste way better than the King B, IMHO. That, and the burn line on the King B's suck.

I did a quick search and found the King B has a rosado wrapper (Famous Smoke shop description) as opposed to the rest of the sun grown line which feature an ecuadorian sun grown. I could be mistaken, if anyone knows more detail than my search.

looks like you have quit the set up there in DC.

I'll be down there in Oct.- let me know what our schedule is.

My friends like the setup as well. Many of them lost power due to the derecho a couple of Fridays ago, and some just started showing up with bottles and smokes. We had quite the spontaneous party. Got our music off an iPhone library and a battery powered dock/speaker system.

And seriously, I have small Friday night parties a couple of times a month. Pick a Friday and I'll get in touch with Cabaiguan Juan and we'll do a mini-herf. Let me know date soonest and we'll get it going.

I smoke a lot of Fuente cigars and I really would like the King Bs. I haven't smoked one in awhile.
To me this cigar is a crap shoot. When they are on they are a damn fine smoke. But most of the times a get a lot of tar coming out from the stick. I may have to revisit this cigar.