• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente - Rothschild

rudou

My first review. I welcome comments, criticism, and anything else (well almost anything) that might help me give a better understanding / review.

Arturo Fuente
Rothschild

Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper Type: Cameroon
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic
Ring Guage: 50
Length: 4.5
Avg Price: $3-$4

Arturo_Fuente-Rothschild.jpg

Accompaniment: 1 bottle of Warsteiner Dunkel

The lighting:
I toasted the foot a few seconds before taking my first draw. The first draw was full of spice. This was a bit more than I liked. A few more puffs and the spice level did not lessen. There was a nice nutty flavor that was nice and strong enough to not be drowned out by the spice.

IMG_0295.jpg

At this point I was somewhere in the vicinity of 1/2"--3/4" and realized that I was puffing too quickly. I set the stick down to mellow out a bit, waiting about 1-1/2 minutes before taking my next puff.
Much better. The spice died down a bit and the nut flavor was stood out more and a bit of creaminess started to step up.
I slobbered on the stick a bit, trying to get a sense of the tabacco itself without any smoke. The tobacco flavor itself was a slight hint of sweetness without the spice I have experienced with some other cigars.
I sat back for a few short minutes to analyze the lingering flavors on my pallete. A nice tasting tobacco lingered on with some spice.

IMG_0296.jpg

1/2 way through, the spice started to pick up again (this may have been due to the time between puffs had picked up a bit again). Again slowing down a bit helped in that respect.
At this point, the stick also started to soften up a bit and the amount of smoke with each draw increased as well. With each draw, the nice amount of smoke I was able to pull in, the flavors really picked up. The nutty flavor and the creaminess were quite rich.

Unfortunately, the level of spice soon also reached a level that I did not particularly like. I decided to stop and let this burn out before it became unpleasant.

Conclusion
My first sitdown with an A.Fuente which I tried to examine the flavors and think more about what I liked / disliked about the stick.
Tobacco flavor: Nice flavor (not much more to say about that)
Draw: A nice slightly tight draw (but not tight where you might swallow your tongue)
Smoke Volume: Nice amount of smoke with each draw without much effort
Smoke flavor: A bit spicy for me (at this point), nice nutty with a increasing creamy flavor towards the end

I cut this smoke short due to the increasing spice level. I wanted to stop before it became unpleasant. This a definitely a stick I wanted to try again without tainting my "first" experience. Spice aside, the flavors were quite nice. Definitely will try again.

Final rating:
1/2 NUB

"Not nub worthy" <-- 3/4 nub <-- 1/2 nub --> 1/4 nub --> down to the nub

Nice first review. My only suggestion is that the pics don't have to be life size. ;)

Nice review, but when I see this
then I check my cheapest Fuente seller and see this 23PLN (7,5$ - 8$) Man! I get really mad! Damn all those local resellers! :angry:

For Example:
In another popular web-shop this Fuente is 43PLN (~14$) They're crazy!!!

Nice review, but when I see this
then I check my cheapest Fuente seller and see this 23PLN (7,5$ - 8$) Man! I get really mad! Damn all those local resellers! :angry:

For Example:
In another popular web-shop this Fuente is 43PLN (~14$) They're crazy!!!
I bet you can get some nice Habana stick for that money

nice review... I've found the same thing with these sticks, the spiciness is too pronounced and drowns out any other flavours... for me these cigars have no balance.

I had one of these on Friday. Decent smoke, though the cameroon flavor wasnt as prevalent as it is in some other smokes.

Nice review. :)

Cameroon wrapper tends toward sweet spiciness, for sure. And from the look of your photos, the cigar you smoked looks quite dark (I actually thought it was a maduro until I read your comments), which would liekly enhance those flavors even more.

Might be worth giving the maddie a shot to see if you like it more...

Nice review. :)

Cameroon wrapper tends toward sweet spiciness, for sure. And from the look of your photos, the cigar you smoked looks quite dark (I actually thought it was a maduro until I read your comments), which would liekly enhance those flavors even more.

Might be worth giving the maddie a shot to see if you like it more...

Hmmm...I'll have to take a look and pick a maduro next time around. Thanks for the info. I just picked up a few Estate Seleccion by Tabacalera both in natural and maduro. One of my first sticks was in the maduro. Now it's time to revisit that again and see how I like. That might be my second review.
Or I might review a slightly moldy stick, "Angelina", a stick my wife just picked up for me.
IMG_0297.jpg

I bet you can get some nice Habana stick for that money
yep! for example Jose L Piedra Cremas 5er for 7,5$ or Cazadores for 9,5$ ;)

I hate to be the one to tell you but those habana prices aren't good either. There is a business opportunity for you in this overlay. Here is a database of current prices from various online retailers:

http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/uploads/cms...vanaprices.html

As you can see, the Cazadores sell for around $2.50 per in bundles of 25. You could sell them at 300% mark-up and still under-sell by $2!

Do you purchase online yet or are you still buying exclusively from local shops?

Sorry to threadjack, rudou. I also enjoyed your first review. First reviews are always the most interesting and yours was no exception. Most of us that have been smoking for a while have a completely different perspective so it's refreshing to get a different view. Thanks!