• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashton VSG Wizard

ironmike5

Shark In The Water
Name -- Ashton VSG Wizard
Size – Corona Gorda (and then some) 6 x 56
Wrapper -- Ecuadorian "sun-grown" from the Oliva factory

Some of us have discussed this cigar, but I haven't seen a review on it yet. My local b&m got a box in, so I figured I would review it since I'm a fan of the whole VSG line. If anyone would like me to pick them up some, PM me.

-Prelight-

The construction looked beautiful, and being the first fully round VSG, I was expecting a some-what strong smoke. A beautiful sun-grown wrapper rolled around this cigar. I gave the wizard a nice v-cut to my desired draw. After a draw test I found an seamless and full airflow that was somewhat dry and hint of spice.

--Light and Smoke--
I gave this cigar a nice toasting and then the light from my magical fire wand. With the first few puffs I noticed some cream and spice tastes. After about an inch I was somewhat surprised with how smooth this smoke was, and even more surprised with the fact that it was a kitty cat and not very powerful at all. Some nice nutmeg flavors with a lasting mix of mallow cream. As I hit midway the cigar became slightly oily with a peanut cookie flavor.
Bringing this cigar to a close I received a slightly wood taste blended with some toast hints.

--Overall Impressions—
I was a little disappointed after smoking it and finding that it wasn’t as powerful as original looks. However, I was very satisfied with the fact that the cigar was very smooth (falling rite in line with the VSG line). This cigar was a very medium-bodied cigar that will please any fan of the VSG line and will continue to get better with proper aging. My new camera should arrive soon, so my next review will have some pics to it.

Very nice review. :thumbs: My local shop just got these in as well recently, after reading this I am going to have to pick one or two up. :)

Hopefully, Moki will chime in on this question...

Are the wizards round because it's the original release for this paticular vitola?

Great review! I'm getting a robusto size VSG in the mail soon and looking forward to seeing how closely the flavor profile matches what you described. I, too, am surprised it was as timid as you said. Not only is this line supposed to be powerful, but it's such a large ring size. Thanks again!

Jason

I find the larger ring gauge cigars to be less powerful than their smaller counterparts. This is especially true of cigars with powerful wrappers like the VSG and the Oscuro Natural line from LFD. It is the wrapper that provides a lot of the kick to these cigars.

I, personally, did not really care for the Wizard. I thought the flavors were muted and that it didn't really taste much like a VSG. I have not done a full review, but I would rate it a solid B.

Just smoked one of these myself today and pretty much agree with the above review but do think with some age the cigar will be much better after sitting for about 6 months. Like most of the VSG line I think a little humi time make's all the more better smoke IMHO.

I do not know about the larger ring gauges being less powerful but I had a VSG Enchantment last night that I would closlely relate to the review that ironmike5 gave. I have had this one since the first of this past August. It had lots of smoke, some spice upfront, about first half inch, then kind of caramel/toasty flavour for the remainder of the cigar. It just did not have that "kick" that I was looking for like I have gotten from the Corona Gorda and Belicoso No. 1. I guess it is time to go back to the Corona and Beli.

cigardawg said:
I find the larger ring gauge cigars to be less powerful than their smaller counterparts. This is especially true of cigars with powerful wrappers like the VSG and the Oscuro Natural line from LFD. It is the wrapper that provides a lot of the kick to these cigars.

I, personally, did not really care for the Wizard. I thought the flavors were muted and that it didn't really taste much like a VSG. I have not done a full review, but I would rate it a solid B.
[snapback]275563[/snapback]​

Thanks guys, appreciate all the positive feedback and insight with this being my first review ever on this forum.

indyrob said:
Hopefully, Moki will chime in on this question...

Are the wizards round because it's the original release for this paticular vitola?
[snapback]275462[/snapback]​

Here is what I have come to believe; it may be totally wrong. I was told that they original release of the line was to be box-pressed, but what they found was that for whatever reason (too much tobacco, etc) that when they pressed them, they had a difficult time and the draw was terrible. So they released the first ones round, then tweeked things to allow later release to be pressed.
The fact that the original release was round was purely accidental; they were meant to be pressed.

So by those terms, I don't see why the wizard should be round.

Am I totally out in left field on this??

Patrick

Back