• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Auto GPS market

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
I have been doing research on GPS auto units to purchase my first one. My dad has two Magellans . I have 3 Garmin hand units but never used any automotive units.

Surprisingly, I think the market as moved away from Voice recognition units. The Garmin nuvi 855 is their only model. Not sure of Magellan and Tom Tom. My dad has one Magellan wit Voice recognition but it is a few years old.

In reading the reviews it looks like Garmin may be having some issues and loosing market share, reclals in 2009, etc. On the other side of the coin, Nothing from Magellan or tom Tom seems to be revolutionary and their voice recognition is not very good compared to Garmin.

Seems they are all having issues with design flaws, etc.

Any comments?

I don't know how much the technology has changed in the past two years; but I've got a Tom Tom and I LOVE it. I can't imagine going on a trip without it. It's never failed.

BTW, I am looking at 4" models. Garmin has a new improved graphics format on their most recent models but there is an issue with a few where the screen goes blank on some and you have to reset it. For some, the Bluetooth also doesn't work.

I worked at best buy selling GPS units for about a year. Personally I would go with Garmin, they maybe a little more expensive than Tom tom and magellan, but the ease of use of and convenience make it the best in my opinion. I have a 255w, its just Text to speech (speaks street names). Whenever I was helping someone pick out a GPS I would find out what features that they were looking for, for example bluetooth, mp3, Text to speech, or like international maps things like that. Usually if you can figure exactly which features you want it very easy to pick out the right unit for you.

I'm not sure of the model numbers, but I have owned two (Garmin and Magellan) and have used the Tom Tom...from my personal experience, I would rank them as follows (1 being the best):

1 - Magellan
2 - Garmin
3 - TomTom