• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Avo 80th edition

fetterjohn

Non-active but active and lurking!
I grabbed a couple of these a couple of weeks ago and was very anxious to smoke the first one...to see if is as good as the LE '05 anad #22 that I found to be fantastic editions to the Avo LE line. Well...I was hrown off a little bit...

The humidor manager said they were good but that Avo himself said they need a few months in the humidor for best consumption. I agree!

The look of and quality of the cigar is flawless...perfect construction and beautiful wrapper. The cone of the pyramide cap is signature Avo. Perfect weight in the hand and no soft spots.

Once the cap was clipped, there was a great draw and lots of flavor. But the taste was bitter and green.

It took to the flame easily and lit up quickly...lots of silver-white smoke. The initial taste was young. I was expecting a smooth and wonderful flavor profile right from the start like the #22 but was surprised to get hit with tons of spice and a peppery tingle on the tongue. I got a lot of fresh grass and earth in the initial draws as well.

Through the cigar, the flavor changed slightly to more smooth earth and pepper but there was a very profound bitterness to it. This is what I didn't like...it was way too bitter for a cigar of this price and caliber.

I felt that the cigar was rushed to the market for the 80th anniversary of the Avo brand. When even Avo himself says they need more time to age, I think that says a lot. It was a good cigar...but, I won't even think about lighting the other for at least 6 months to a year from now.

My overall impression is to rate the 80th anniversary Avo as a 8.5. This will improve with time...no question...the spice and strength dictate that. For those of you who have these and not tried them yet...try one now and let the others sit for a few months and try them again.

-Fetter

WOW! Glad I haven't lit either of mine yet. The B&M near me is selling them now, and I wanted to go pick up a few more. Too bad they aren't smoking well yet, as I was thinking about lighting one this weekend.

Thanks for the review!

I had one fresh from the shop a few months back.I was impressed,I liked it better than how the LE05 and #22 smoked at young state.
Granted this will be way better with age,I liked it overall.At $13ish it smoked flawlessly and tasted great.
I had one the other day thats been sitting since my first purchase a few months back and it is noticeably better but still needs alot more time to bring out the sweet taste and more of the complexities.I have 3 left and someone has a box in there ageing room for me,looking foward to try these in a year or two.

Thanks for the great review,most apreciated! :thumbs: :cool:

Great review Fetter. I could not agree more. I liked the cigar alright and found it to be quite complex but definetly felt that it needed some serious time in the humidor before it became what it was intended to be. I am sure that it will be fantastic given a couple of years. I do plan on buying a box in the near future to sit for the long haul.

Great review Fetter. I could not agree more. I liked the cigar alright and found it to be quite complex but definetly felt that it needed some serious time in the humidor before it became what it was intended to be. I am sure that it will be fantastic given a couple of years. I do plan on buying a box in the near future to sit for the long haul.

Alan,

I don't think you have any more space to put anything. You need to give me a couple of boxes to hold onto so you can free up some room for the Avo 80th box! :thumbs:

-Fetter

Keep in mind that some cigars, like some wines, are *made* to be aged. It's very possible the Avo 80th is one of them. Certainly it would have been nice if they aged them for 5 years or so before releasing them, but I'm guessing the practicalities of the real world entered into the picture. :)

Revisit these bad boys in a few years, I'm betting you will be suitably impressed. If not, I'll have some for sale :)

I recently dug into one of these myself and found it to be extremely peppery and harsh. I literally could not taste anything aside from these overwhelming aspects. This stick will require copious amounts of time for it to even approach smokeability. As it is now, I found it far from enjoyable.

Contrary to CigarPenguin, I enjoy the LE5 far, far more. And the smoke aroma of the LE5 is one of the finest and most intoxicating I've ever experienced.

Wilkey

I recently dug into one of these myself and found it to be extremely peppery and harsh. I literally could not taste anything aside from these overwhelming aspects. This stick will require copious amounts of time for it to even approach smokeability. As it is now, I found it far from enjoyable.

Contrary to CigarPenguin, I enjoy the LE5 far, far more. And the smoke aroma of the LE5 is one of the finest and most intoxicating I've ever experienced.

Wilkey

I agree with you on this...although the #22 slighlty betters the LE '05!! :whistling: But they are both way better than the 80th. But like Moki says and I agree...give them time and they may turn into something fanominal.

-Fetter

I don't think this is a cigar that will improve that much over time. That being said I was not overly impressed with it, like with the LE5. YMMV

I don't think this is a cigar that will improve that much over time. That being said I was not overly impressed with it, like with the LE5. YMMV

Welp, I hope you're wrong Tony, but if you're right... I'll sell ya a box cheap in a few years. :)

I smoked one just after I got the 2 from a buy. It wasnt a bad stick. But for the price, i'd rather have an Opus or Anejo instead. They may get better with age, but I dont see it at this point. At least I hope they do cuz I still have an Avo 80 in the Locker with the crappy King B's. :laugh:

I was not overly impressed with this one either. They were going for 17$ a stick at the local B&M and am glad I only bought one. I thought at first it was a promissing cigar, but that quickly changed lol.

:( Man, am I glad I read this review. I too had one in Albany not too long ago and boy was I dissappointed. I still have a pair of Avo #22s in my humidor and this 80 certainly DIDN'T stand up to its predecesor! I can remember having a bitter taste thoughout and thought it might have been my virgin-ish palette (glad I was right on about the taste). I've got 2 more 80s and I'll be letting them sleep like Rip Van Winkle until I feel its safe to pull them out.

Might even do what Atuck is planning on stashing a box in my humidor for the long haul. I still have some room if I rearrange the 'gars (AGAIN!).

Darren ???

I have smoked 2 both from the Tinderbox down at Crystal Court. I actually enjoyed the bitterness and strength. I do think they are over priced, and I am not at the stage where I would spend that much money for a nonISOM.

I have smoked 2 both from the Tinderbox down at Crystal Court. I actually enjoyed the bitterness and strength. I do think they are over priced, and I am not at the stage where I would spend that much money for a nonISOM.
Yup...that's where I bought mine. They only need another 1 or 2! :thumbs:

-Fetter

I finally puleld out my 2nd Avo 80. The first half of the cigar tasted like burning grass. It finally went away around the last 2" mark so IMHO,its far from ready. :( Win some, lose some I guess.

Had one last week and it wasn't too bad. It had a good taste to it, but I'll be interested to see how it smokes down the line.

That said, the white and gold band did look pretty!

I do believe the cigar is too *raw*. I have a few asleep in my humi for a while. The only one i smoked gave me a terrific migraine headache, so it was no fun whatsoever.
Will report back when I smoke another one.

Regards.