• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Avo Campanero

staccato

Cigar: Avo LE 2009 Companero
Size: 6 x 54 (Toro)
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Ecuador (Cuban Seed)
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Criollo Ligero, Piloto Ligero, San Vicente Ligero, Peruvian Seco

First impressions: Colorado shade wrapper, well made, good presentation, earthy notes on the foot and prelight draw.

I gave it a punch cut, my preferred method these days, and torched the foot. No issues with a great draw. I thought I was in for something special and since I hadnt smoked a cigar in a few days I was hoping that would be the case. First puff and I could tell I was getting into a powerhouse of a smoke. Very earthy for the first few puffs. Surprised me a bit at its one dimensional taste. This soon gave way to a heavy leathery flavor. Even burn so far.

Kept puffing away, sort of waiting for something to happen. The burn got uneven and needed a little touch up. I usually remove the bands after Ive smoked the first two inches or so hoping the heat will help (if it doesnt just slide off). To my surprise both bands were glued to the wrapper with a big dab of glue. This made two small tears in the wrapper that would later add to the burn issues. The leathery notes still dominated this smoke. The ash held well enough but I didnt think the filler was constructed as good as it should be.

One other thing that surprised me was that I had to purge this thing about ten times. If I didnt the subtle taste of earth and some of the leathery notes would fade quickly. There were moments of subtle sweet notes but they never lasted being quickly over shadowed by the slight bitter tastes. Purge and start over for the most part.

I smoked this thing till about an inch and half of its life. Not sure why. Price maybe? Hope that it would save itself?

It was definitely a powerhouse. The flavors and power make me wish I had a nice big 4 course meal first. I didnt and I may have not enjoyed the cigar as much because of it. There seemed to be a few consistent issues throughout and I think some age would help all these.

So, for the most part, I cannot recommend this cigar until next year when I plan on trying it again. Its a classy smoke, like a Cadillac, lots of power and smooth. However, it had issues that surprised me a little.

Overall: 6.5 out of 10 with the hope that age will help. At the msrp its an easy pass though.

Interesting review. :thumbs:

At what humidity do you store your cigars?

I ask because the two of these I smoked fresh were rather one dimensional as you describe (though they lacked the "powerhouse" quality you detected). However, after resting in my humidor for a few weeks at 63% humidity, these were very good smokes.

Leather and coffee flavors were prevalent, but the earthy undertones had given way to a slightly floral flavor and a nice sweetness to compliment the ever present spiciness. There is some body to this smoke. Some would call it "creaminess". I wouldn't classify it as powerful strength-wise, but I can see how it could sneak up on someone.

I have not experienced any construction issues with these.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this cigar as much as I've enjoyed the examples I've had. I think this is far from a "pass", it's almost a "must", especially if you enjoy AVO cigars. In fact, I'm going to have trouble leaving what I have left alone.

More for me, I guess (if I can find them). :)

Very surprising review. I really enjoyed these and in my book it's the best AVO they've made.

70% on the humidity front.
I did a little research to make sure I wasnt crazy and it appears that I am not the only one to experience some burn issues. However, I would classify the burn issues as minor. What I didnt like was how it didnt seem to develop. I could tell it wanted to though as it did touch on the sweet and creamy notes. I was hoping those would develop a bit more and I think thats why I smoked it to the end.
Like I said, I want to try this one again. Some of the other reviews I have read have been a little unassuming. I do think I may have gotten a bad one. I mean, I was really babysitting this thing from the halfway point on.
In any case, I am glad others have had better experiences. Knowing Avo, this cigar has a lot more potential than the one I had.

Try a little lower humidity. I think you'll find the cigar develops much more readily and has a lot more complexity than your previous experience.

I hope so, anyway. :)

Try a little lower humidity. I think you'll find the cigar develops much more readily and has a lot more complexity than your previous experience.

I hope so, anyway. :)

I will note that, promptly try it, and smoke another next week for an update. I do feel it deserves that. Actually, I deserve it too. :D

Also, about the band stuck to the wrapper...

They're working on it, but all of the rollers aren't on board yet. Last year, all the Avo's I smoked had bands that were impossible to get off, but more and more of them come off with no problem now (IMO).

We all know how hard it is to break bad habits.

Very surprising review. I really enjoyed these and in my book it's the best AVO they've made.
Same here. I'm about 1/2 way through a box of these and I think they are pretty wonderful sticks.

....course, I have a full box of AVO 80ths I've never gotten into.... :whistling:

Regards - B.B.S.

I am going to have to get hold of some of these, if some think they are the best AVOs they have had. I love the 787s, 80ths and the LE 09s.

Ken

edit: I feel like such a clone! I didn't realize this was the LE 09. The few I have had are quite good and might be the best AVO I have had.

I was able to sit on my deck last night and smoke the Avo Campanero and being a huge AVO fan I must agree it may be the best AVO out there. Before I even lit the foot I was able to take the band off with no problems. I did not experience any burn issues, it was even during the entire smoke. Although I'm not that experienced yet with picking out the different types of flavors, I must say the entire cigar was flavorful and extremely smooth!

My thoughts on the one I've smoked was that it was probably the most exquisite and unique AVO I've had to date.

Its good to read that others have had great experiences with this cigar. I talked to the peeps at Avo about my experience and it seems that it is a definite rare case. I am waiting a while to revisit the Campanero but look forward to doing so.