• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

B&M Etiquette

Personally, id never feel that it was OK to uncase a tubo (or remove the cello) wheather id been frequenting a shop for 30 seconds or 30 years unless I was 110% sure I was going to buy that very stick. And in which case, you might as well just buy it unseen/unsmelled at that point.

I do wish the clerk had handled themselves differently, but on the other hand, you have to look at the sensitive nature of the product and compare that to the demographics they are surrounded by. All that being said, I think a mall is a poor choice for a Cigar B&M and unfortunatley like in your case, run a higher risk at running off customes who might not be 100% on top of their B&M Etiquette. You will be more carefully scrutanized and watched, but if you can get past that, they can be just as enjoyable. I frequent one located inside a mall, and after BS'ing with the owner for 10-15 minutes, he picked up that I was there because I was truly into cigars and left me to browse at my leisure.

In all fairness to my self I didn't take the whole cigar out of the tube, it was two pieces I slid the top off, I didn't touch the cigar I was just looking at it. But I do see where you guys are coming from they have no way of knowing whether or not I'm looking at it or want to stick it up my nose.

If I planned on buying the cigar, I would not buy it unless I inspected it. It's in a tube, you can't see it. I could have a crack, beatles, mold.. it could have a ton of different problems. I would not just open one if I had no intention on buying it, but if I planned to buy it, I would check it without hesitation.

Being that I am a retailer....

For us, taking a cigar out of a tube is ok. Not to smell, but to inspect for a damaged foot or head.

If I planned on buying the cigar, I would not buy it unless I inspected it. It's in a tube, you can't see it. I could have a crack, beatles, mold.. it could have a ton of different problems. I would not just open one if I had no intention on buying it, but if I planned to buy it, I would check it without hesitation.

This is exactly how I feel on the issue. If it's in cello just visual inspection is all it needs, but if it's in a tube then it has to come out.

No opening tubos and no messing with the cello is the rule in my regular shop. I would go so far as to say you shouldn't be digging through boxes to find the one you want either. If the first one you pick up is broken, take it to the tobacconist so they can get it replaced and grab another one for yourself. I read about someone going through a box of padron 45th anniversary maduros and it just made me shudder knowing how tight that box is and then they complained about a slightly frayed foot or a small tear in the wrapper... They're all the same, just take the one off of the top of the box.

Some cigars are more fragile than others, but they aren't really meant to be constantly handled.

I would never burrow through a box to try and find the perfect one, that just seems like common sense but I guess not.

It's very easy to shave the wrapper right off the cigar when placing it back in the tube. I've sat there watching several college age kids doing this in my local.

As several had said, the person in charge just most likely did not know your experience level. I'm sure it's easy to get your back up feeling like a scolded child, but you have to realize they're looking at their bottom line as a business owner.

Or even pop the cap off with the rim of the tube while removing the cigar. I've seen that one too.