• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Back Surgery

Patience.

Yeah, you'll learn.

In a way, being laid up changed my life. I learned how to smoke a good cigar. Mostly, by sitting still.

I learned how to let somebody wait on me (my wonderful wife). Harder than it sounds, at least for me.

After my rehab, I learned how to SCUBA dive. Everything you do in the water is about 20% of normal speed.

I never would of had the patience for that before.....

Plan on getting better over weeks, not days. The doctor told me every day would be better. He was full of crap. Some days just suck. You gotta roll with it. When I looked back over weeks, I knew I was getting better, but I still had bad days (still do, occasionally).

He also told me I would be as good as I was going to get at 18 months. Also wrong. I got better for 3+ years....a little more slowly after a while, but still...better.

Plan on the small victories. As a friend of mine once said, "I was just glad the day I could wipe my own a$$".

Patience.

Yeah, you'll learn.

In a way, being laid up changed my life. I learned how to smoke a good cigar. Mostly, by sitting still.

I learned how to let somebody wait on me (my wonderful wife). Harder than it sounds, at least for me.

After my rehab, I learned how to SCUBA dive. Everything you do in the water is about 20% of normal speed.

I never would of had the patience for that before.....

Plan on getting better over weeks, not days. The doctor told me every day would be better. He was full of crap. Some days just suck. You gotta roll with it. When I looked back over weeks, I knew I was getting better, but I still had bad days (still do, occasionally).

He also told me I would be as good as I was going to get at 18 months. Also wrong. I got better for 3+ years....a little more slowly after a while, but still...better.

Plan on the small victories. As a friend of mine once said, "I was just glad the day I could wipe my own a$$".

I couldn't agree with that last statement more! Thanks

I agree completely with jgohlke, the patience is of utmost importance. I'm a type A person. The patience has been a killer for me. Finally had my first real setback 2 weeks ago. DO NOT OVER DO IT!!! You'll feel useless for a long time, but trust me, your friends and family will understand. My wife is mowing the yard and we even bought a weedeater just for her. My friends and family have had to help with so much that it is driving me nuts. Bsneed even had to come help me get out of the car when I first got home. You will also learn humility. People you never suspect will be there to help you out. If you have any questions or just need to vent (you will) just pm me.

I am a candidate for neck, and lower back surgery. One thing I am doing ie seeing an orthopedic who does endoscopic procedures, and then I will see a neurologist. This is youe Spine we are talking about. A neurologist MUST be in the picture to some degree, as far as I'm concerned.

The Morphine button is good. Try to use it before the pain starts, and resist the urge to use it to get the VERY NICE buzz. :whistling: And please, be aware that it is a fairly powerful, and physically addicting drug. You might very well go through withdrawl symptoms if they do not taper you down. I have been through that twice, and it is a friggin nightmare.
then take your pain meds when you get home. Pleae take the withdrawl possibilities serious. I hallucinated, had cold sweats, chills, unreasonable anxiety, runny nose, etc. What helps is knowing what is going on. but VERY unpleasant.

I do wish you the very best. My most uplifting thoughts will be with you.

The surgery went well! It was only suppose to be 4 hours but they found more wrong with my back and had to add another pin so it took 5 hours. It was a little painful at 6am this morning but the meds kicked in and everything is good so far! Thanks for all of the well wishes!
thumbs-up.gif

Dean

Heal up quick Dean!
You'll be smoking again before you know it!

-Rob

You up walking yet?

Remember after surgery you are not only allowed to fart at will, but encouraged to do so. :laugh:

You up walking yet?

Remember after surgery you are not only allowed to fart at will, but encouraged to do so.
laugh.gif

LMAO!! I can't believe you said that, they said I cannot eat until I farted. I couldn't not be discharged until I peee? Feeling really good today!
thumbs-up.gif

BTW I am up and all over the place! No issues moving around just a little slow standing up.

Good to hear the surgery went well. You are already moving about...let the healing begin.

Take Care

Joe

Great to hear you are up and about tasman...how long do you think you can go before kicking back and enjoying a cigar?

I will probably wait a week or so and then try a Tat Noella or Padron #35.