• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beads versus distilled water .

"Kitty Litter" silica beads work just fine for cigars. They just require more effort than humidity beads. If anyone says differently, ask of them a reasonable response as to why they do not (a more substantial answer than: "I'm not putting cat poo litter anywhere near my $$$ cigar inventory!").

Preconditioned humidity silica beads work just fine. Better than fine, actually. But they cost more than "Kitty Litter" silica beads do.

Decide for yourself whether the expense or the convenience is more important for you to save. Neither is a bad choice. Some people would prefer to spend nearly 100% of their cigar budget on cigars themselves and only spend what is absolutely necessary to procure functionable accessories important to this hobby. Some people just like to tinker and spend more "quality time" with their cigars and cigar accoutrements. Some people think it's worth the extra scratch to purchase or self engineer "set and forget" (with all respect to Mr Staebell) systems and not have to constantly check and tinker with them.

There are many ways to control and maintain humidity within enclosed environments. They each offer their own pros and cons in terms of price, function and convenience. To each our own.

By the way, price is often a poor arbiter of quality and functionabilty in the realm of cigar accessories. If one were to value expense as a sign of quality/functionability, they are likely to quickly get fleeced of their $$$ in this hobby.

How much should it cost to reliably light a cigar?

I also use boveda packs, and while more expensive, they work flawlessly in the food storage container application.

Hi,

How long do the Boveda packs last?

Willie

Hi Willie,
I'm sorry to tell you that I don't know. I never pay attention. It is at least a couple of months. I DO NOT like them in a wooden humidor. I do like them long term in something fairly tight. I place a the cigars in the box they came in, previously humidified. I only open those about once a month or so to check the cigars or let them get a little air.

Rod Brought up the Gel Jars, and I forgot but I do have another aging box that I use the gel in. That stuff is terrific. and is very care free.

For every day use I like something that recovers fast.

Nullsmurf...Yes, I did a search. You can say that again. Great googley Moogley, I read for hours. :angry:

:laugh: