• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Become a better putter

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
You know those days when you are dead on with your putter………..and then there are those days when you you’re scared over a two footer…….do you wonder why the difference? It’s your confidence level. Since half of the allocated strokes in the game of golf are putts it's crucial to have confidence in your putter.

If you struggle with confidence in your putter here are a couple things to try.

First:
Understand the importance of “the stroke”; most people try to put the ball in the hole during the stroke and this is the worst thing you can do. It takes everything you can do to concentrate long enough to make a perfect stroke, don't distract yourself by thinking of other things. Understand the break, understand the speed, set your self accordingly and “forget the hole”……just try to make a perfect stroke. That comment may sound like splitting hairs but your mind is distracted from making a proper stroke when you are thinking about “the hole” or “making the putt”.

Second:
Try a putter that is engineered to overcome your distractions. There are three things related to the putter itself which effect the outcome of a putt. 1. The force you impart on the ball 2. The alignment of the putter face at impact (aimed left or right) and 3. Where the ball strikes the putter face in relationship to the sweetspot. Believe it or not, these are in reverse order of importance because when you miss the sweetspot you are effecting both aim and speed. Try a MOI (Moment Of Inertia) putter which is designed to stay on line (helping the sweetspot contact the ball) and stay properly aimed.

f_MOIPutterm_2781afd.jpg

In the above picture you can see the brass weight at the bottom and back of the putter. Here’s how it works.

The further the weight is from the axis (the shaft) the harder it is to turn the head, just like any issue with leverage, the further the weight is from the work the harder the work is to perform. This displaced weight keeps your hand and arm muscles from involuntarily (because you are distracted) rotating the putter head which causes alignment problems, and also prevents you from moving the putter head off line which causes you to miss the sweetspot.

These putters are called “tater mashers” “gopher traps” “branding irons” and various other things; typically by the guy you just took $10 from.

Oh man, now I'm getting the golf bug too. Might have to head out to the indoor range. My expense reports are about to double.

Great advice. I have the exact putter in your photo. I am looking to try a new Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza belly putter.

I had hand surgery 5 weeks ago. I get the pin taken out of my hand in 2 days. Hopefully the Dr. will allow me to start hitting balls in 2-3 weeks.

I have the itch. :sign:

Good post brother, its about that time of year to warm the swing and loose some more balls LOL. Best time of the year, golf and baseball. I know I have lost alot of money due to poor putting after a great drive and good irons...

I know the weather in Seville is no better than Youngstown right now Jeff... so why are you doing this to us?

I was on the course a little bit today though. It was a bit chilly, and I didn't bring my sticks. I saw plenty of sticks to pick up though. Back to work...

This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

I know the weather in Seville is no better than Youngstown right now Jeff... so why are you doing this to us?

I was on the course a little bit today though. It was a bit chilly, and I didn't bring my sticks. I saw plenty of sticks to pick up though. Back to work...

This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Well Lee, most of the world lives in a place with better weather than good old NE Ohio so I thought the time might be right :D We will probably have a 5 degree day and a 55 degree day in the next 3 weeks.

Cannon-ball, right back at ya!

only issue I have with the MOI putter's, and I have had a few, is that due to the club head weight I find it very difficult to get a feel for longer putts ie anything over 17-20ft. I will either leave it short or push it way past the hole. For some reason I have much better touch with a blade style putter. I keep trying new MOI's du to there accuracy on shorter putts but, they seemingly end up in a pile in my basement or on ebay and my Cameron or TP Mills find themselves strapped to my back during a round.

agree 100% though it is all about the confidence and whatever you think gives you the better chance to get that darn little bugger in a hole, chances are it most likely will.

Definitely ready for the thaw in NH.

Got any good suggestions for a 9 iron? I seem to have left mine on the fringe last time I played over the summer (just noticed because I wasn't playing during the winter) :(

Got any good suggestions for a 9 iron? I seem to have left mine on the fringe last time I played over the summer (just noticed because I wasn't playing during the winter) :(

Go to Flea-bay and see if you can get the same thing.....might even find yours ;)

If it isn't turned in and you can't find one I will make you something similar (similar head design and matching shaft)....LMK

The best way to avoid losing clubs around the green is to lay it on the green so you have to step over it to get back to your clubs/cart.....or lay your towel over it.....or lay the flag on it....get in this habit and you will never leave a club on the green again.

Back