• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beetle question

MnRon

Reaction score
I was just currious as to the incubation period for beetles. Since summer is coming, and we do a lot of shipping in the hot weather. The packages sit long periods in postal, and shipping trucks. Do you guys quarintine them for a while, if so for how long. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Ron

MnRon said:
I was just currious as to the incubation period for beetles.  Since summer is coming, and we do a lot of shipping in the hot weather.  The packages sit long periods in postal, and shipping trucks.  Do you guys quarintine them for a while, if so for how long.  Any info would be helpful.
[snapback]176773[/snapback]​

From what I have read incubation spans from 7 to 14 days, depending on temperature throughout the period once incubation has begun.

I know folks who have had beetles hatch up to two years after acquiring some sticks, so I am unconvinced about the effectiveness of quarantining for other than a short-term safeguard against beetles hatching in sticks that have been kept in unknown conditions.

Even after quarantine I believe the best strategy is to try and keep your cigars below 70 F., and definitely keep them below 75 F., as temperature is the most important factor in triggering hatching.

The other alternative is to freeze your cigars for a few days to kill the eggs. When I do this I wrap them in several layers of plastic wrap as tightly as possible, put them in the fridge for 24 hours, then into the freezer for 72 hours, then back to the fridge for 48 hours.

That is a good reminder thread because as the weather gets warmer your car gets hotter and leaving cigars in the car will cause the beetles to hatch. Happened to me last year. The car heats up beyond even what the surrounding air temp is.

Freezing is the best way to kill the bugs. I had a couple of suspects last winter, and smoked the questionable cigars. I don't think any were there, but atleast they are gone. Look over your cigars weekly atleast.