• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

beginner questions.

target

I am extrememly new to pipe smoking. I bought a cheap pipe a Dr. Graybow? off of ebay. and i got that free pipe tobacco deal. I have read on here that the tabacco in the deal is not very good. I have also read that a cheap pipe is also not very good. Am I just looking for trouble and starting off horrible?

I also have a question of what to expect from the smoke out of a pipe, is it going to be as full as a cigar. I have smoked only a few times and feel as if I am not getting mery much smoke. Is this due to the bad tabacco and it being moist or is there just a big difference in the smoking of cigars and pipes.

I am extrememly new to pipe smoking. I bought a cheap pipe a Dr. Graybow? off of ebay. and i got that free pipe tobacco deal. I have read on here that the tabacco in the deal is not very good. I have also read that a cheap pipe is also not very good. Am I just looking for trouble and starting off horrible?

I also have a question of what to expect from the smoke out of a pipe, is it going to be as full as a cigar. I have smoked only a few times and feel as if I am not getting mery much smoke. Is this due to the bad tabacco and it being moist or is there just a big difference in the smoking of cigars and pipes.

The Dr Grabow pipes are cheap. But they are a nice beginner pipe to see if you will even enjoy one. Yes, the tobacco that you got is crap. Dont even waste time on that junk. If you can visit a tobacco shop, most sell house blends from like $1.50 to $2.25 an ounce. Well, that is the price from my experience. Its nothing drop dead fancy, but it sure beats alot of stuff sold. Only exceptions to this are the tins and bags that can be found. Low as like $6.50 for a 50 gram can to as much as $30 for a 8oz bag of the good stuff.

But no, you are not starting off on the wrong foot. That pipe will be a nice start. Why spend $65 to $700 on a pipe and turn out to hate it. Pipes are not cigars. Comparing pipes and cigars to each other is a mute point. Since IMHO it takes more skill to be a good pipe smoker than a cigar smoker. Not saying cigars doesnt have some skill but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to cut and lit a cigar. Pipes you have to break in. Really cant mix Aromatic tobacco with non-aromatic. Screws with the taste. Pipes you break in. Usually start around a 1/4 of the bowl. Dont pack to tight. Fire away. Let it cool down. Clean..Repeat process by putting a little more in the bowl. Goal is to make a nice even cake inside the bowl. I myself never rush breaking in a pipe.

Pipe tobacco isnt the same as cigars. I've had some cigars that couldnt even begin to put out the same smoke as some pipe tobacco and vice versa. It does kinda sound like you have the tobacco way to loose but I cant say because I cant see you smoke it. :laugh:

Graybow's are fine pipes for beginners. You might try removing the 'stinger' (that metal piece in the stem) if it has one. Lots of Grabow's have screw-n stems but you can cut off the stinger above the threads leaving just a hole.

Actually, there are SOME decent pouches in that Altadis offer: Fox & Hound, China Black, Midnight Smoke, the Iwan Ries non-aromatics are all decent tobacco.

If you want to experiment with the flavored stuff, buy a cob and use it for those. Take a look at these sites: http://www.glpease.com/ http://www.aspipes.org/ http://www.pipes.org/

You will find more information than you can believe about tobacco, pipes, technique, etc. Also, you can check out alt.smokers.pipes on Usenet. Lots of good information there amidst all the weirdness.

Happy puffin'!! :)

Above all, as the hobits regarded pipe smoking vis-a-vis their friend Treebeard, "don't be hasty". Relax and enjoy your new hobby. It takes time to work out the art of smoking a pipe. You have years of searching for your favorite blend ahead of you, and this is all part of the pleasure! :love: