• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best Cigars of '08

JLAudio

Mareva, Lancero, and Minuto Whore!
I used to be one of those fanatic Cigar Aficionado readers, and every year, I looked forward to reading the top 25 cigars of that year. I mean, I lived by that list (before CP days). Let's just say, I'm not that same person anymore. :laugh: However, I still like the concept of rating cigars from year to year, especially with cubans. I'm a huge fan of fresh habanos...either way, I'm curious as to your Top 5 list of cigars from this last year, and can include nc's and cc's.

The only rule is that the cigar must have a box date from '07-'08. Obviously, with cubans, not many '08s have been smoked yet, and the most readily available cigars from this year for purchase was from the '07 stock. Even though a lot of NC's still don't show a box date, the same "general rule" applies. If you have bought it in the last year, and smoked it this year, then by all means put it in your list!

My purpose is to see what cigars are being made much better lately, which are staying at the top of their games, and possibly which cigars are on the decline (cigars you would normally see a lot of on these lists).

**special rule: I'll also accept all '07 & '08 RE's and EL's**

I'll start:

1.) Edmundo Dantes Conde 109 ('07 RE)
2.) Saint Luis Rey Double Corona ('07)
3.) Trinidad Ingenios ('07 EL)
4.) H.Upmann Conn No.1 ('07)
5.) Pepin Blue Fundadore ('08)

Honorable mention:

6.) Vegas Robaina Famosos ('07)

Only Habanos? or any smoke?

If only habanos...we have a room for that ;)

I used to be one of those fanatic Cigar Aficionado readers, and every year, I looked forward to reading the top 25 cigars of that year. I mean, I lived by that list (before CP days). Let's just say, I'm not that same person anymore. :laugh: However, I still like the concept of rating cigars from year to year, especially with cubans. I'm a huge fan of fresh habanos...either way, I'm curious as to your Top 5 list of cigars from this last year, and can include nc's and cc's.

The only rule is that the cigar must have a box date from '07-'08. Obviously, with cubans, not many '08s have been smoked yet, and the most readily available cigars from this year for purchase was from the '07 stock. Even though a lot of NC's still don't show a box date, the same "general rule" applies. If you have bought it in the last year, and smoked it this year, then by all means put it in your list!

My purpose is to see what cigars are being made much better lately, which are staying at the top of their games, and possibly which cigars are on the decline (cigars you would normally see a lot of on these lists).

I'll start:

Honorable mention:

Thanks for looking out, but we are all good here Aaron! I double-checked (and triple-checked) :angry: :D :sign:

Wow my list is going to have to be different I will list the Best CAO smokes I have burned in 08 and there has been a lot of them

#5 Mx2 ( good maddie cigar)
#4 Lx2 (all this wait for a great cigar that can kick you in the but)
#3 Sopranos ( nice smoke always a pleasure to smoke)
#2 Black VR (one of the best smokes of the year)
#1 CAO eXtreme

I'll start:

Honorable mention:

Thanks for looking out, but we are all good here Aaron! I double-checked (and triple-checked) :angry: :D :sign:

:laugh: :laugh: Well stop posting such long messages....I quit reading after the first paragraph :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry bro!!!

My list (nc's, sorry LOL):
1) Illusione 88
2) DPG Black Robusto
3) DPG JJ Maduro Robusto
4) Alec Bradley Tempus
5) Oliva V figurado

I'd say (in no particular order):

Montie #2
LFD Limitado #3
LFD Chisel Puro 2008
AF Anejo Shark
Padron 1926 #2 maduro

LFD Double Ligero
CAO LX2
Partagas Series D #4 CC
Fuente Anejo
Fuente Hemingway WOAM

All are 08

My best freshies have been the following:

1. Padron 80th
2. Tatuaje Frankenstein
3. Tatuaje Black Label Corona
4. Padron 1926 No. 35
5. Tatuaje Guapo Jr or 46
------
6. Oliva V various vitolas

My best cigars this year have all had some good age on them. Good topic. It was interesting to think about what I had smoked that were fresh.

hmm im gonna go with the following cigars in no particular order:

Casa Magna (especially considering the price)
Viaje Platino
Mi Dominicana
Cruzado
Pinar del Rio Oscuro

those to me are some of the best tasting most consistent new cigars released this year, but everyone's taster is different lol.

My best cigar experiences of 08 were:

DCM Stanfords 90th with Keystone Raider by a fire
Tat Black on a fun HERF day
LFD Maduro Chisel with Jfields
Davidoff Millennium with Mysterea
VSG Illusion (covered with plume) with a friend

I guess it's clear my best cigar experiences are with another BOTL

NC
1. Tatuaje Black Robusto
2. Padron 1926 40th
3. Opus X Petit Lancero
4. Oliva V Maduro Especial
5. La Riqueza #5 Cabinet(tie)
5. Tatuje Reserva J21(tie)

CC

1. Bolivar Belicoso Fino
2. Partagas Lusitanias
3. RyJ Escudos 07 LE
4. RyJ Short Churchill
5. Ramon Allones Special Select(tie)
5. San Cristobal El Principe(tie)
5. Cohiba Robusto (tie)

I've been on a Tat/ Pepin kick this year so this list is gonna be biased:

Tat Black
Tat Frank
El Centurion Lancero
Cab Guapo
DPG Cuban Classic

Best of 2008

1.) Padron 80th
2.) Work of Art Maduro
3.) Cohiba Genios ('07)
4.) VSG Illusion ('05)
5.) Juan Lopez PC ('07)

My best cigar experiences of 08 were:

I think I'll look at it the same way:

1. Padrón Reserva de la Famila No. 44 (w/Brickhouse, Tasman, siriusstoogie, sinnyc, simmsboard, lilbastage, and Bsneed51) While telling jokes and watching a group of drunk young women dance with each other.
2. My Father belicoso (sitting on the beach with my wife and friends in Los Cabos)
3. Casa Fuente (well-aged, gifted by stepthirteen, playing chess on Facebook)
4. Davidoff Millennium lancero (gifted by Infinity and smoked just before he passed)
5. AF 858 SG (well-aged, gifted by siriusstoogie, smoked with the MN crew on a beautiful evening at Al’s)

Thanks for the thread. I was thinking of starting one like this myself. I cannot be much of a contribution though. I have not even tried one cigar from the '08 year :( ! Sounds like Pepin is the most popular. All I can say is that I know the Pepins age really well. :thumbs:

In no order,
San Cristobal(might be 07)
Perdomo Habano maduro
Oliva V maduro
CAO Lx2
Tabak Especial

1. Padron 1926 #6 Maduro
2. HdM Epicure #2 ('07)
3. Tatuaje Reserva J21
4. WOAM (07)
5. La Riqueza #5

I'm going with the BOTL theme here as well:

1.) ED109 smokes with Josh (Napa_Smokes) at StinkiMonki's place, and sipping on a bottle of Silver Oak.
2.) Opus Shark with Josh at his house... :shrugs: Go figure!
3.) Opus BBMF with Josh the night I found out Infinity passed. Good memories, good smoke.
4.) Partagas Culebra smoked with Josh and Jesus Matt (42/Actin4Life) at StinkiMonki's place.
5.) Montecristo tubed Edmundo gifted by Wilkey and smoked with Jesus Matt and Elsinore Matt (Beyond the Band) at our old herfin' spot, in celebration of defeating AVB's Fatboy in the NWof08!

Good times, and a good year. It's hard for me to smoke something really really nice by myself anymore. It seems t be more beneficial with friends...

08 was a good year, here is my NC list in no order:

Oliva V Torpedo
DPG Cuban CLassic Robusto
Tat Havana Nobles
La Riqueza #5
San Cristobal Clasico

Yeah I guess you can call me an anything Pepin touched whore.