• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best drug store type tobacco

bilder

If you were seperated from your beloved tins and had to settle for a brand of tobacco found in grocery stores and mini-marts across the land, which one would it be?

I like Carter Hall. I don't know if they have it everywhere, but they've got it here and we don't have much as far as tobacco is concerned.

Carter Hall and Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. Excellence in drugstore tobaccos. :love:

Half & Half and Capt. Black mixed together. Usually one pouch of half&half and 1/2 pouch of Capt. Black (or some similar ratio) works well in a pinch.

There was a drug-store sliced flake that I used to love to smoke, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

I think it had ships on the pouch...

There was a drug-store sliced flake that I used to love to smoke, but I can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

Borkham Riff (sp?) and Flying Dutchman had a few ships on the pouch as I recall. I haven't seen either around in a while, but that could just reflect my location.

Billy

Borkham Riff (sp?) and Flying Dutchman had a few ships on the pouch as I recall. I haven't seen either around in a while, but that could just reflect my location.

Billy

This stuff?

borkumriff.jpg

Billy

This stuff?

borkumriff.jpg

That's it! I don't know where you can still find flying dutchman, but I used to love it back in the day.

Billy

That's not a flake, though. Borkum Riff does have a couple of flakes, but they're broken flakes and I think they come in tins, not pouches. I've certainly never seen them in drugstores, but we don't have much to choose from here.

If you were seperated from your beloved tins and had to settle for a brand of tobacco found in grocery stores and mini-marts across the land, which one would it be?

I'd cut up Swisher Sweets or WOG's and pack them in the pipe. :D

Okay, awright...cease and desist any flying objects hurled in my direction.
I always kinda liked Hickory back in the 60's...and Flying Dutchman.

Then I discovered Balkan Sobranie in the original white can; then Dunhill Std. Medium; then Iwan Ries.
WTF happened to me?? :whistling:

Marscigars has a pretty good selection of the old school tobaccos.

I remember my father smoking Middleton's Apple (hard to forget the pouch with the big apples on it) and I think Prince Albert.

Shame, had he smoke more pipes and less cigarettes he may still be alive today.

most grocery/drug stores i walk into have at least Capt. Black and or Prince Albert now hiding
behind the counter. long gone are the days when you could walk into almost any drug store and
find a portion of an aisle dedicated to pipe tobaccos and machine rolled cigars. last place
i saw this was traveling through ohio at discount drug mart--bought every pouch of kentucky club
blue and five brothers they had on hand since i can't locate in my area.

there are still some of us out here who don't "settle" for these old school tobaccos, we actully
smoke them on a regular basis. take for instance Prince Albert, and judge it based on it's
smokeability and flavor. it's straight burley so don't expect anything more. Puffed SLOWLY,
it has a very smooth and straight forward natural tobacco taste. nothing fancy, it lights easy,
burns well and smokes cool and dry. sometimes simple is best.

in my experience, the Borkum Riff line is 'good cheap tobacco'. It is easier to smoke if you'll use a big bowl or a filter pipe, smoke it slowly and don't try for that last 1/8 of the bowl. 'Dirty' tobacco, not very pleasant at the dregs.. but acceptable if you'll quit soon enough.

Not something i'd put in a GOOD pipe, but acceptable for an emergency substitute. Strongly recommend NOT blending with drugstore tobaccos. :)