• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best order to smoke in?

bobbyg29

Later today I am going to hang out at my local B&M and will probably have 3 smokes. Was wondering if there were opinions on the best order to smoke cigars in. Specifically,

-Is it better to start with milder and work up to full-bodied? Or vice versa?
-If you are going to smoke one super premium should you have that first, middle or last?

I have a feeling I will get a lot of "do whatever you want, it doesn't matter" answers but just thought I would ask... :D

Thanks!
RG

Sorry if this has already been dicussed but as you might imagine searching on the word "order" brings up a lot!!

I personally would start with the one premium. In my experience the more you smoke, the more fatigued your palette will become.

I think it matters. Start mild and work up. Smoking a LFD chisel and then smoking a Monte white label would seem senseless to me. The Monte would taste like an airball.

Doc.

My advice to you is limit yourself to two cigars at the most. It's like drinking after the second drink you can't taste the differences. That is unless you are Mr. Peat. My limit on cigar enjoyment is three, but YMMV.

Any 'dinner' or event I've been too, it's suggested to start mild - clean your pallet(sp) and move up in flavor strength. More recently I've just gone with what I like to smoke!

I'm laughing with you. Guessing by your question, you are new to cigars, and three back to back smokes will decimate your taste buds :laugh: .

Go for it, have fun, but smoke the best cigar first. By the third smoke, you will not be able to tell what you are smoking.

I'm laughing with you. Guessing by your question, you are new to cigars, and three back to back smokes will decimate your taste buds :laugh: .

Go for it, have fun, but smoke the best cigar first. By the third smoke, you will not be able to tell what you are smoking.

No actually I have already done it a couple times before and enjoyed it...I know I am not getting the most of the last one but I enjoy the hanging out and taking too much to leave. The analogy some made to drinking is good...don't really need another Guiness but damn its fun!! :p

Personally I like to smoke the premium smoke first.

If I'm playing poker I tend to start with a premium smoke followed up by a mid range nice smoke and anything after those two would be lower end smokes as you can't tell the difference anyway at that point.

I've been to events before and by the 3rd smoke they all tasted the same. I would definitely start out with the one you really want to taste and enjoy.

My vote goes to the premium first, followed by mild to strong.

I smoke 5-7 all at one time... takes less time...

Na but i do smoke that many in a night on the weekends... Start with the premo's and work your way down....by the end you can hardly tell the difference..

I smoke 5-7 all at one time... takes less time...

Efficiency at it's best. :laugh:

No matter what you smoke, if you're going to have a mild cigar, start with it first because like doc stated, it will taste "like an airball" if you smoke it after a full-bodied one. Also, I never pull out a super premium smoke unless it's my first of the day.

Just like many others have suggested smoke the one you want to really enjoy first, with a fresh pallate you will be able to pull out the most minute flavors and nuances (Where the true beauty of a premium cigar reside)

What is the special smoke BTW?

After that smoke from mild to full. You will get the most out of your smoking experience from all of the cigars.

I have smoked upwards of five cigars in an evening and if you keep your pallate fresh (don't let your cigars get too hot, drink plenty of fluids so that junk doesnt sit on your tongue) and take your time with the cigars (just don't try to get in a quota, smoke while you hang out and enjoy the company of others) you should be able to get almost everything out of the cigars you choose to smoke.

Smoking with friends is always great and you will enjoy the smokes even more because of it. Enjoy all your smokes.

CYG

Mild to stronger in my opinion, or you can taste properly. I think I would save the premium to be smoked alone. Smoke 2 at you b&m. Get longer smokes if you like to stay there long. Churchill sizes can keep you busy for some time.

Yesterday at work was possibly the single best day ever for smoking cigars. I had four in six hours and they all were great.

Plasencia Reserva Organica Churchill
ISOM Bolivar Petite Corona
Avo Domaine No. 60
Davidoff Double <<R>>

The Davidoff, while mild, was still amazing and rich in flavor. In general though, I would agree that you'd want to start mild and work your way up.

I always smoke from milder to stronger.....it's as natural as drinking/tasteing from dry to sweet! :)

Its funny how those that say you will kill your pallette smokeing 3 cigars so smoke the premium first is best.If you think your pallette will be dead or closed to dead,tired,smoke mild first,working your way up to strong,this way your pallette will taste allcigars,granted not as much but at least you will get flavors,taste and enjoyment working your way up.Dont kill the pallette,favor it.

Mild to strong,yard gar to premium.Imagine smokeing opus' all day long and then smokeing a connie natural before bed............uggggh!

Like say the master sushi chef..."always start with white fish and work your way to dark fish! "

Same with cigars...if I know I will smoke more than one cigar...I always smoke the lighter bodied of the two, first.

-Fetter

Like say the master sushi chef..."always start with white fish and work your way to dark fish! "

Same with cigars...if I know I will smoke more than one cigar...I always smoke the lighter bodied of the two, first.

-Fetter

Yep,agreed!
Now I know why some can not pick out flavor profiles as others can,it may be there smokeing habits.

Mild to strong,yard gar to premium.Imagine smokeing opus' all day long and then smokeing a connie natural before bed............uggggh!

I've done Ashton VSG to RyJ Vintage, the RyJ was nice and relaxing after the strong kick of the Ashton.

Penguin, you're in Monmouth County, do you ever go to Cigars Plus in Red Bank? I get sent up there Mondays and Tuesdays. Stop in and I'll give you a discount.

:) Nice question.
I agree with most of you. It has always been my opinion that when I go to smoke multiple sticks I always have at least 1 mild smoke like a RyJ or Monty. I use these if my pallette starts to feel tired just to give me a break. Example start off with some deep columbian coffee and a PAM Exclusivo. After that I would go for the RyJ and water maybe to rest for a bit. Then hit a VSG or Anejo or Opus with a vodka/tonic or a jager and dew. I would really need a rest between those. If I just plan on running a row of mediums like 2K, RP vintage and CAO Brazil then I would not clear with a mild. Ok, I am sorry for running long on this. I just wanted to explain it well.
Thanks
DarrenR :D