• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best Scotch for a Scotch-and-soda

I'm going to have to go with BBS and AVB on this one - why dilute a good whisky down with soda? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just saying, if you like the whisky then adding soda to it would put a damper on the flavors and aromas. So I guess if I were dead set on having a scotch and soda, I'd use the cheapest scotch that was drinkable, probably White Horse or, if that isn't available for you (I have trouble finding it sometimes) Dewars or Famous Grouse. I think J&B would be too weak to mix, and JWB and Chivas are too good to waste that way (for me).

I guess, if you're going to do it, do it with what tastes good to you. :cool:

I think the reason for the post was so that he wouldn't have to dilute good whiskey with soda. I have a handle of white bacardi rum, and a bottle of Ron Zacapa. I would never want to drink the bacardi neat with the cigar, and I wouldn't think of putting the RZ in a mojito. Since I enjoy both, I own both. Similarly, I have a bottle of famous grouse, johnny red, etc that I use for mixing (or sometimes straight, but that doesn't help my point), and I have a bunch of bottles of single malt that like to drink straight. If you like scotch and soda, by all means drink it. If you haven't tried it with Johnny Red, thats where I'd start. I have friends that swear that cutty sark is the best to mix because of how bland it is. I think I'm biased because I've tried it straight. If you haven't tried it straight, don't. I don't know that I've ever mixed a single malt before, but if you want go, go for it, and let me know how it goes.