• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Better with time

Rob_k

If it ain't Scottish...it's crap!
Hey all, i smoked an opus x (fuente,fuente size) last night. i purchased it in oct of '05 and stored in the humi at 65/65 during that period. now, i like opus's fresh but to tell you the truth, i like them better with some age on them.
i pulled the cello off and the aroma was a licorace/cinnamon/spice, note these are stored with all opus's so there isn't any flavor migration from another brand. i opened a newcastle ale, headed for the deck and toasted the foot. the predraw was wonderfull, lotta cinnamon/spice flavors. as the smoke progressed, i could taste cedar and more spice/licorace. and it just got better from there.the finish was long and i could still taste it on my pallete for a few hours after. my digicam batteries were dead, but i know i could have stood this ash at 3-4 inches. all in all, a 4 out of 5 .
if you have opies, and they are young, and you have some willpower, do yourself a favor and let them age, you will not regret it. i can't wait for these with a year or so on them.

Your review is very inviting, I can taste the stick :)

That's an intereseting observation Rob.
Supposedly these sticks have already been aged and do
not require any lie down time. I have smoked them when they
have just arrived and much later after a good rest. Can't say
they tasted better. Are you suggesting about a year to rest?

Brian

well, 7 months in my humi did something to them. the last opie i had was a little harsh, and was a fresh batch from my local b&m, seemed to taste the same all the way down to the nub. IMOE (in my own experience :rolleyes: ), just seemed better with time on them, flavors were more pronounced, and not harsh at all.

Opus dont really NEED age, but they do have some qualities after extended aging that fresh ones dont. Smoother, more deilcate flavors that appear after a couple of years of post purchase age. Letting them sit isnt easy but it does make these even more enjoyable, if thats possible. :D

Thanks for sharing Rob.

I think willpower is what is needed...especially when it comes to Opies ;)

Thanks for the review/notes. Have heard this from one or two others and have 2 Opus' that I got last summer that I set off to the side to try in the future.